The Disco-Zone!

Discussion in 'Grow Log Forum' started by Discorilla, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Discorilla

Discorilla Shining like a Discoball!

Rosin is supposed to be solventless, though. There's gotta be a way to winterize without a solvent.

2. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

I don't consider organic grape seed alcohol the same as other solvents. Resting on a technicality I know, but it wouldn't damage the rosin and still remains in the "organic" spectrum if the product were to be judged by current food and drug standards. I get it though, folks like the one step organic oil process and anything additional becomes suspect.

Discorilla likes this.
  3. Discorilla

I use Everclear for lots of extractions. I understand that it's not like other solvents because it's Food Grade. I'm not sure if it would be considered Rosin after the refining process, though. I've read that flavor is lost once you try to refine it further with alcohol.

I used a 120u bag to press the above, so I know that I could go down further than that. Normally with hash, plant material is stuck at the 160 level if anywhere. It's gotta be a lot smaller for Rosin, because my recent presses with 90u still had something, but not as much.

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  4. ResinRubber

Interested to see what you come up with.

I can see where you'd lose quite a bit of terpenes in the wash/evap process. That's a definite drawback.

Discorilla likes this.
  5. Discorilla

Picked up some goodies the other day! They'll be coming along soon enough!
    Dr Who Cut:
    [​IMG]
    Dark Heart Cheese:
    [​IMG]
    Dark Heart Afgooey:
    [​IMG]
    Grapestomper:
    [​IMG]

SuperMoChombo likes this.
  6. ResinRubber

Been browsing. Can you give a guy a lead on which plate heaters to try? Looking at a few and some seem pretty sketchy. The more DIY the better. I already have some old 6x6 aluminum bar stock so just looking for a heater/thermocouple kit.

7. Discorilla

http://www.cencalrosin.com/~shop/dual-enail-controller/386493/

This can be used for plates or enails. Mine came with 3x5 dual controlled plates, but you could find thermocouples for it. This is just the base for $144.49.

This is where I got my plates for much cheaper than elsewhere, though.

8. ResinRubber

Much appreciated.:beerchug:

9. SuperMoChombo

SuperMoChombo Well-Known Member

Here's a vote for a rosin thread disco. Close to 20% returns and no solvent sounds good to me.

10. ResinRubber

Ok....been doing my homework and putting together the buy list for parts. Then I find reports of test labs finding heat + pressure + terpines are stripping the non-stick surface from parchment and leaving the residue in the rosin. You hear anything about this Disco?

11. Discorilla

I haven't heard much about it other than the youtube video I saw. I'll have to look into it more.

I'd imagine non-silcone based parchment paper would be what we would want to start using. PFTE is what I just found in a search for alternatives, and that's used in medical devices that get implanted.

12. blazerwill420

blazerwill420 Fuck AUMA

Res, I've heard those same things about the parchment and some silicon mats.

13. SuperMoChombo

Is parchment paper all made the same way? According to wiki they just soak paper pulp in sulfuric acid or zinc chloride which causes the pulp to gel. The dried gel is the non stick surface.

I wonder what chemicals if any remain to get passed to resin during the hot press?

14. ResinRubber

So teflon? I could see teflon coated plates with a collection reservoir.

15. Discorilla

Bingo! As long as the coating made it so none of the oils were remaining on the plates, I've been thinking the collection res is the way to go!

16. Mrgreengenes

Mrgreengenes Administrator

I interested to see how your grapestomper compares to the ones I have growing now.

Discorilla likes this.
  17. SuperMoChombo

There is no silicone in parchment paper.

Teflon? Worse imo.

No reliable info on this. All guesswork.

18. Discorilla

It's supposed to be "THE Grapestomper" whatever that means...

I'm sure yours will look prettier!

19. Discorilla

There are some papers that don't have the silicon coating, but I've read that a lot of them do.

As far as Teflon goes, it's supposed to be inert, and can be heated up to 500F before it has issues. Rosin temps are anywhere from 120-220F, so it wouldn't be heated super high.

20. OldSmokey

OldSmokey Registered Users

The problem with teflon is that over time, it comes off.

Adding fire to teflon is a big no-no. It makes phosgene.