Using a T8 shop light for vegging?

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by Graperoom, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Graperoom

Graperoom Germinating

hey folks. i picked up a couple of new strains from the club. and instead of putting them in my outdoor garden i've decided to veg them and mother them. ok, the only light i have handy is my garage shop light. BUT the but bulbs don't have pure white glow like my T5 (in use) does. Still i've decided to use them until next week when i am able to get the right bulbs. The plant/aquariam bulbs. Can somebody PLEASE tell me if this will harm my plants, or will it be ok for at least a week?

2. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

They'll live for a week. Just keep the lights a few inches from the plants. A blue spectrum is best for veg, look for something in the 6000k range when you get new bulbs. :passsit:

3. Graperoom

Graperoom Germinating

Thanks Ras. i'll take your advise and exactly that. Peace

4. Graperoom

Graperoom Germinating

I just went to Lowes.com and found some bulbs. T8 flouresant. Color-Day Light. 6500k. Is that the same as blue spectrum?

5. teamster6

teamster6 A Fat Sticky Bud

yes it is

t6

6. Graperoom

Graperoom Germinating

Rite on, bro

7. Lvstickybud

Lvstickybud Bongmaster

Will a regular shop light work or do you need to upgrade the ballast?

8. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

T12 and T8 shop lights will work as will standard T5 stop lights, th eintensity is just not that strong so the lights must be kept closer to the plants. I've not seen High Output T12 or T8 light fixtures or replacement H.O. Ballasts for them though. The T5 however can be upgraded to a H.O. T5 ballast that will power the High Output T5 bulbs. I recently did this with a standard 48" T5 Shop Light from Home Depot that I had. I bought a H.O. T5 replacement Ballast from Home Depot and installed it in the shop light and now it will run the 54 watt H.O. bulbs. I'm using it for my fish tank though. :thumbsup:

9. teamster6

Most of the home depot type lights have energy efficient ballasts in them and they are low output. Most of the lights you can order high output ballasts and upgrade them.

I run a set of t12 with high output ballasts in them. The light output is about double from the standard ballast.

t6

10. Lvstickybud

Lvstickybud Bongmaster

Thanks. This seems like a cheap fix. I'll have to look into it.

11. teamster6

keep your eyes open. I found one t12 light at home depot that had a high output ballast in it. just luck I guess. I went thrue every other light they had in the place and could not find another. If it says energy efficient it is not high output. Also you can find high output ballasts pretty cheap on ebay.

t6

12. Lvstickybud

Lvstickybud Bongmaster

So if it doesn't say energy efficent I should be good? I'm looking for a cheap solution to replace some cfls. Would I be able to get the HO ballast at HD? Don't do e-bay.

13. teamster6

Look at ballast sales sites and write down the major ballast makers numbers for high output ballasts is what I did than you can read the numbers and tell for sure when your looking at on lights.

t6

14. Lvstickybud

Lvstickybud Bongmaster

Ok. I should have thought of that myself. I have a couple of old shop light, 25-30 years old. I'm going to check those. Being that old, I'm guessing they wouldn't be energy efficent.