Area 51 LED lights (XGS, RW150)

Discussion in 'LED sets' started by skunky, Sep 13, 2014.

1. skunky

skunky labor smoke'n lumberjack

Product name: Area 51 XGS 190 and RW-150

Period of use: ~7 months on XGS and 4-5 months on the RW

Manufacturer sheet: XGS- http://a51led.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65&products_id=181

RW-150 - http://a51led.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65&products_id=192

Initial cost of the product. ~$450/ea

How or where acquired? Purchase, http://a51led.com/store/

Would you purchase the product again? Most definitely

Would you recommend the product? For sure

Bought the XGS first at the beginning of the year. It is an all white unit using all 3750K warm white CREE XTE 5W diodes. Fixture runs at ~190W at the wall. Was impressed with it and having seen the old A51 SGS light that was white and red when they made changes to that setup and released the new RW line I wanted to try it out to see if the red really helps in flower. I would say so. The RW-150 uses about 40W less and performs just as well. This unit uses a 50/50 mix of CREE XPE 630nm Reds and XTE 5500K cool whites.

Bin information for the A51 lights is as follows provided by them.

Q: What LEDs do you use? Bins?

A: Cool white used in the RW series: XTEAWT-00-0000-000000H50 R5, Warm White used in the XGS: XTEAWT-02-0000-00000BFF6, Red LED used in the RW and SGS Series: XPeReD-L1-0000-00801 P3. We purchase our LED diodes from both Mouser and Digikey.

So far so good. Each of lights seem to be able to keep up with a 400W HPS themselves. Sure upfront cost is much greater. Cost me about $500 more in lighting compared to two 400s. But half the electrical consumption, hardly any heat, good penetration power, great PAR output, great results.

4x4 foot print for RW-150 @ 4 different light heights using an apogee SQ-120 quantum meter.

http://www.apogeeinstruments.com/quantum/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Justcheckingitout

Justcheckingitout GK Old Timer

So what's the total lumes on each of those lights?

I remember asking you before on the xgs 190 using all white lights and the RW 150 using red and white....so they are pretty much the same for bloom as far as performance? Also were these light designed to replace a 600w hps instead of 400w?

Got to admit, these light are quality.

Great work man! Get this thread a sticky here and in the FAQ lighting threads!!!!

3. skunky

Area 51 is one of the few that doesn't directly say this lamp replaces a certain wattage HID fixture. Jeff said when I asked prior to my purchase that they could serve as 400W replacements no problem. I would agree. As far as lumens not positive would have to work it out mathematically. The values for the 4x4 foot print are PAR values, so that's all photosynthetic active light in the range of 400-700nm. The numbers given represent the photon flux density being produced, μmol m-2 s-1. That tells you more than lumens which is a measurement of our perceived light. This tells you how many photons are in the area capable of doing work.

Since you asked about HID equivalence. Just to give a bit of an idea. Here are values for a 400W growers house tested @24" height. But keep in mind these are measurements for that particular lamp in that hood using their meter so there are always variables to account for.

[​IMG]

4. Max Rockatansky

Max Rockatansky Hurricane wrestler.......

I'm considering pulling the trigger on 2 RW-75's for a 36 by 36 area....

What do ya think ?

MAD MAX

5. skunky

Should be able to cover 3x3 though seems with these it would be better to do 2x4. Though I run double that amount in the same sized area. If you ran the 2-75s expect about the same as you would with a 400w hps.

6. Max Rockatansky

Max Rockatansky Hurricane wrestler.......

7. skunky

Just for some substance. These are buds grown under A51 lights. First two were from when I only had their XGS 190. The rest are from running the XGS and RW in a 2x4 for a total of ~345W.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. friendlyfarmer

friendlyfarmer Rollin' Coal

Nice man. I had a hydro store guy tellin me today how LED wouldn't produce weight....