on the hunt. Kaffir Lime, Safari Mix, Lemonberry

Discussion in 'Organic Cultivation' started by ResinRubber, Mar 18, 2019.

1. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Due to a sudden opening in my veg garden, which I'll cover in a different thread, there's room for a couple projects. Lots of room.

A friend passed on some Kaffir Lime to test out. It's a strain from Subcool made up of Black Lime Reserve X Jack the Ripper. That's all I know, but sounds kinda tasty to me.

Add to that an old old old freebie from Mandala. Bet these are close to 10 years old. But as you can tell, decent storage and they still popped. Hoping they make it and give me a usable African female. It's a crapshoot on strain or sex, but they been laying around and I got the room. Haven't had an African strain in ages so it's about time.

The Lemonberry seeds are a knock off from what seems a millennia ago. Gj and I were talking about how to acquire a male for an amateur breeding project when I remembered I'd stashed them in the back of the fridge along with whatever other stray seeds I'd saved. Turns out timing couldn't have been better. So here I'm looking for a nice lanky, Thai leaning, early flowering, male and a stout, frosty, berry leaning female. Since they're a knock off of Fusion's F1 (that right boss?) there's going to be a ton of variability. I gots lots of these so it's just gonna be a matter of how many I have to go through.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ducrider

ducrider growing your mamas weed

I'm pulling for a stout Thai leaning LB female. If you don't get one remember cuts are floating around of a very stable Thai leaning Lemon Berry, She'd make a good mate for your LT male.

ResinRubber likes this.
  3. ResinRubber

Had that cut until the freeze out. My LB cut previous to that one was even more influenced by the Thai side. I've played enough with Lemon Thai to realize it's the dark side of the LemonBerry genetics. More Thai brings longer flower, is more finicky on temps and less resilient to grower error. The Dab smooths out all those bad Thai tendencies.

Justcheckingitout likes this.
  4. Max Rockatansky

Max Rockatansky Hurricane wrestler.......

I wish you better luck this time around dude

MAD MAX

5. Herb

Herb Mountain Man

The ol' germ. in the paper towel method.... my favorite. Good luck on this round buddy.

6. Justcheckingitout

Justcheckingitout GK Old Timer

Looks like you got a good germ rate, you will be back in the jungle soon.

7. ResinRubber

Rollin' rollin' rollin' alooooong.

The Lemonberry, Kafir Lime and Safari Mix has been progressing nicely. On the right tray is all LB. The left tray is KL, SM and LB. If you look closely the two LB in the left tray are substantially more advanced than the others. One of the reasons I like the strain so much, she's a damn fast grower.

On the LB pheno hunt there's 7 possible females and 6 known males. Of the males there's two distinct phenos so far. One tall and lanky, the other branchy and compact. 3 of the males started showing sex at 6 inches of height in 24 hour lighting. Might be a good sign for early flowering parents. Keeping those three for future seed making.

Of the LB females both major phenos are showing. Thai leaning with long internodes and Dab Blue leaning branchiness. Going to flower them all and see what comes.

The KL (in the left tray) is a slow starter but picked up steam in the last two weeks. It sends out a long mainstem with moderate branching in the lower third of the plant. Think topping is going to be a good plan with this strain. So far it's been an easy grower.

The Mandala SM is typical Mandala gear. Slow to start, slow to gain branching, easy to grow. We'll have to wait and see what nature brings us with this one.

So now all seedlings have been topped, the tops are in the clone dome, and the female plants go back in the veg garden until it's time to repot for flowering. (probably another three or four weeks.) The males have been secured in their own little garden and I'll select breeding stock from them in a few weeks.

cheers GK,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  8. Lvstickybud

Lvstickybud Bongmaster

Looking good!!

9. ducrider

Looks promising :beerchug:

10. ResinRubber

It do at that. Maybe starting fresh wasn't the worst thing....but I'd rather never do it again.

After checking the topped plants I think the Kafir Lime is going to be my favorite for structure. After topping once for clones, each one is going to produce three to four bushy tops. The branching is stout and well spaced. If the toke and yield live up to it's heritage this could turn out to be a real nice strain. I'll throw up some pics tomorrow after the new growth establishes a bit better.

Early on the KL was on my shit list. They barely survived as two leaf seedlings then one day they stood up, grew leafs, and have been perfectly healthy ever since. Had me worried though.

11. Justcheckingitout

Looking good.

12. Max Rockatansky

Max Rockatansky Hurricane wrestler.......

Your recovery looks better than my best effort

MAD MAX

13. Herb

Herb Mountain Man

Nice Resin. Love how you're all neat and tidy with you grows. Looking forward to the buds.

14. ResinRubber

The only tidy thing in my life.:suave:

Here's that nice growth I was talking about on the Kafir Lime.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Justcheckingitout

That nice lime green new growth makes growers all warm and fuzzy feeling...:affro:

Must be real fast veg then?

16. ResinRubber

Nothing exceptional. Nowhere near as fast a grower as LB.

17. ducrider

She looks nice & stout and branchy but not too branchy. I likey!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  18. ResinRubber

Exactly :suave:

19. ResinRubber

Chapter 3. The flowering.

[​IMG]

Here's the two chosen LB males to use for this round of pollen chucking. Me thinks each gives a good representation of the structure for the phenos I'll be working with. Both are early flowering and dropped pollen as soon as lighting went to 16/8. Literally within 48 hours after the initial reduction in lighting. ( I give newly potted plants a slow reduction from veg lighting to 12/12 flowering period to allow them to acclimate.)

[​IMG]

Here was their competition.

[​IMG]

A few tiny root balls. Everybody looks to be in good health. If these had been overgrown or impacted I would have separated the root ball, but this is exactly the root growth we want to see in plants this size.

[​IMG]

The Kaffir Lime continues to impress. I caught a momentary scent of sweet coffee or cocoa bean when potting these. Rubbed a couple leaves and pinched a growth tip trying to repeat it. Nothing. Hoping it presents a similar aroma in flower.

Looks fairly uniform in growth with one being a bit of a scraggler. I'm leaning towards the structure of the far left plant. If they're all similar in yield/toke, that'll be my plant.

What do you folks think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mandala Safari mix. What can you say. It grows, it's unknown african lineage, it might be great...who knows? Right now it's green and that's all I need to see.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then there's this little plant. A much appreciated gift from a respected grower. :punk: Candyland:punk:. She's just gotten to where I can cut a few clones next week and see what we can get this sweet strain to do.

[​IMG]

There we have it. Chapter 3 well under way.

cheers GK,

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  20. Lvstickybud

Lvstickybud Bongmaster

Looking good