Potable ac units?

Discussion in 'Smokers Lounge' started by Justcheckingitout, May 1, 2019.

1. Justcheckingitout

Justcheckingitout GK Old Timer

Does anyone think a unit like this one is decent to use in a small closed in space? It says it cools up to 300 sqf. I got a spot that less than 200sqf 20190501_170708.jpg

2. OldSmokey

OldSmokey Registered Users

Hey JCIO,

Is this one that has a hose or two that goes outside?

I kinda like that I can dehumidify and cool independently or together if needed.

Justcheckingitout likes this.
  3. Justcheckingitout

It doesn't show on the ad, I assume its a one duct...it just says it has a drain hose for if you use the constant dehumidifier option Which does 44 quarts in 24 hrs. But I think I am going to grab one and try it. I can put the blower at canopy level with the new set up. With the stealth unit being sealed its right at 200 sqft. Should work good I still plan on using a fresh air vent from the house but this ac unit would maintain a good temp because summer heat in garage is over 120 and the cab/closet is well insulated floor to roof and all around. I could just run a tee'd exaust line thru the attic to roof vent and have the ozone set up between the cab and the roof vent. I am hoping that all sounds good? Lol

4. Green Goblin

Green Goblin Cannabis Connoisseur

I'm glad I checked in

This depends entirely on the heat generated in the room.

Either way ONLY use units with 2 pipes to the outside or with the entire outdoor coil and air exchange on the exterior. Do not use units with one pipe to the outside or you will be drawing outside air into the space, or your space which may be worse. Why they even make them with one pipe is beyond me, except that it wastes electricity in a way that few understand :roll:

First.y list all the electrical loads in your grows pace and I can help you size an ac unit that will work

Happy Growin' :pimp:

5. Green Goblin

Green Goblin Cannabis Connoisseur

6. OldSmokey

Goblin is correct. Any time air is exhausted from a room, air must enter the room from somewhere else or the air flow stops. This works the same way if air is forced into a room with only an intake fan. To have flow, the air must "flow", with an in and an out. One hose doesn't really allow for this. Two hoses do, though not terribly efficiently.

So if you put this unit into your sealed grow space, with its one hose going to a roof vent, how will air that is exhausted be replaced? In the distant past, I seem to recall you mentioning thoughts of pulling air in from the air conditioned house. If you do this, the house will leak hot outside air in through every tiny crack. You might not notice until the electric bill arrives.

I think you'd be better off using a small exhaust fan with a passive intake to cool the garage a bit and a mini split (with the condensing unit outdoors) to cool the grow area. It's not cheap initially, but in the long run it would be lots easier on the electric bill.

I'd guess that with the humidity being what it is in FL, a sealed grow room would be the way to go.

7. Justcheckingitout

Ok just so i got it straight....if I planned on having a vent with 78* house air coming in then exausing outside this is not a good way to go? My thinking was the ac unit would suck air from the house thru a 6" duct.....i was going to just have a vent from inside and use a can fan to suck out hot air but someone said it wouldnt work that way with pressure.

So is the 2 hose ac's units...one could pull in air from the house and one exhaust hot air outside?

8. Justcheckingitout

I am confused on this part?

9. Justcheckingitout

10. OldSmokey

If you tap into the house's cold air, either with a simple duct into the house or into the house's AC ducting, you are basically adding an exhaust fan to the house. This is the same as adding an exhaust fan to a tent, without having a proper intake, the tent operates at a lower pressure than atmospheric, causing the tent to suck the sides in. A house usually isn't as sealed as a tent, so every tiny air leak in the house leaks hot outside air inward.

You'd need to take the air that flows into your grow and dump it back into the house to prevent this. What comes out of the house, will go back in somehow.

11. Justcheckingitout

Ok i see what you mean now I use to just suck closet hot air into the attic and had a vent in the closet door. I figured it would kinda work the same way but I see what you mean. I wonder if the portable could handel pulling in outside air, cooling it and exausing back outside.

12. Justcheckingitout

I am not really a ac guy if you all catch my drift..lol. but do these window units suck in air room, cool and then exhaust hot compressor air out the back? My thinking is they wouldnt suck that much air since they dont blow alot of air cfm wise. I seen this online, dude ran a exhaust from the back of the unit and tied it into the filter/exhaust fan with a "T" connection. I thought it might be ok till I get a more permanent deal? I could hide the back part in a pinch Screenshot_20190516-163543_YouTube.jpg Screenshot_20190516-163600_YouTube.jpg Screenshot_20190516-163655_YouTube.jpg

13. OldSmokey

In the first pic, cool air is drawn in from the grow area through the bottom louvers, the air is cooled by the evaporator and then is blown back out into the grow area through the top louvers. (Most of these ACs have a setting where a small internal door can be opened to allow in fresh air from outdoors, but we'll assume this to be closed.) Seems acceptable for a sealed room.

In the second pic, warm air flows into the louvered area, through the condenser, where it's heated, then out the back into the guy's duct.

The third pic... If that's the other end of the duct that's attached to the back of the AC, then the guys is exhausting his hot AC air through his grow area's exhaust fan. I don't see the point of the carbon filter, if it's plumbed like this. If the carbon filter were expected to actually do something, he'd need another fresh air inlet into the grow area. This would kill the efficiency of the AC. It's meant to cool an area that is somewhat sealed.

Seems like he'd be better off running his duct to an exhaust fan that vents directly outdoors and having a fresh air vent into his garage. Then he could have a sealed grow area. Even more efficient would be to have the back of the AC go through an exterior wall.

14. Justcheckingitout

thats what i was thinking. That dude takes his hot air to the exaust fan and up to the attic. I would run it up and out the attic via a vent in the sofit at the roof line But fresh air need to come in from some where So a 2 hose portable might be the way. I woukd be puling in about 86 deg air in to be cooled and much hotter air being vented out. Should be good for a 200 sqt area. This way it can be sealed and i can run the ozone thru the exaust duct and it will run to the side of the house at the roof line and that side of the house no one go's to and a neighbors wooded lot is on the other side so ozone blown out will disapate quick. Might be the way of the jedi.

15. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

I've used portables. Then I trashed them.

The heat build up was impossible to overcome in a small space. They MUST be exhausted to the outside. After trashing the portables I went back to the tried and true window units for small spaces. They're cheaper, don't produce excess heat that needs to be overcome, give more cooling btu's for the size and don't require another duct.

16. Justcheckingitout

Yeah i decided I am going window unit. Will exaust outside. The flower space is 5x3x8 and the ac is a 5,000 btu only 5 amp and 550w. I am going to try it and see how it goes

17. Justcheckingitout

Hows this sound...(useing the window unit) if I use a cfm fan to exaust the room, anyone think I can get away with just having like a 6" duct left open to the outside of the room, that the exaust fan will pull in enough fresh air thru suction? The room is going to be pretty much sealed up good.

18. OldSmokey

If you have a 6" fan sucking out of the room (I assume you mean the grow area when you say room.) with a 6" duct left open as an intake, you'll have the ability to pull the cold air out as the warmer fresh air is drawn in. ACs operate really inefficiently when the area that they are cooling has warm air flowing in constantly. A 5000 BTU unit would be way plenty for 200 cubic feet, even with a tiny bit of fresh air flowing in. But fresh air flowing in means expensive cold air flowing out.

I believe that you'd be better off keeping the room completely sealed and getting a CO2 tank.

19. Justcheckingitout

For a sealed unit...could I get away with putting the window ac unit in and just use the co2 bags? (I am not familiar with the tanks but I could read up on them) I could put a controller on the ac to keep temps at 78. Then use a small fan to suck air out of the veg/clone side with a light proof vent for the cold air to get sucked in. I could use the ozone on a timer in the garage to keep the smell down

20. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

CO2 or simply stagger the ventilation. I understand the idea is to change the room air every few minutes, but in my trailer I get away with running exhaust 15 minutes every hour and a half. This keeps the garden cool in summer without CO2 and helps keep the cooling costs somewhat in check. Haven't noticed a difference in plant health or growth rates doing it this way vs running exhaust constantly.