Watering plants while away?

Discussion in 'Smokers Lounge' started by Justcheckingitout, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Justcheckingitout

Justcheckingitout GK Old Timer

Anyone got ideas how to keep plants watered while away? I am trying to get away for 5 days I can put outside and put sprinkler on for 5 min a day. Just seeing if anyone has any other ideas?

2. OldSmokey

OldSmokey Registered Users

Once an outside plant, always and forever an outside plant...

3. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Exactly.

I can get away with up to 5 days by putting the pots in a pan of water. Give them a good soak before putting in the water pans. After returning home be sure to let them completely dry out before watering again.

Justcheckingitout likes this.
  4. Justcheckingitout

I got some long flat totes I can put water in. So like 4 or 5 inches of water should be good? I usually been watering every 4 days now. And figures they are ready for flower And I am going to start a good last veg feed and switch to 12/12 if I am going to leave them inside

5. Lvstickybud

Lvstickybud Bongmaster

I've made the mistake of taking plants in after being outside all summer. Just another week or two, I said. No problem I said. What can happen? Fucking caterpillars came out of no where and DESTROYED my plants in four days. They ate everything. My wife and I killed thousands of those little suckers. Day after day, they just kept coming. I lost eight indoor plants that were six to eight weeks of flower and the two I brought in. NEVER, EVER take your plants back in.

6. ResinRubber

A couple inches of water. I use nursery flats and they're only 2" deep.

Max Rockatansky and ducrider like this.
  7. ResinRubber

Was giving this a reread. Brother, I feel that pain.

So here's the deal with moving outside plants into an indoor cannabis garden. Outside those caterpillars/cutworms are food for something else and are exposed to natural pathogens. You'd have lost some branching, but the situation would have been less disastrous and far more controllable because there would have been fewer of them.

Inside a comparatively sterile cannabis garden there's nothing to slow down garden pests or limit their numbers. Perfect temps, no predators or pathogens, lots of food. It's a recipe for disaster.

8. Justcheckingitout

Do you think I can get away with 6 days using the water pans/plastic totes

9. ResinRubber

I get sketched after 3 days. By day 5 I'm crawling outta my skin. By day 6 I'd lose my shit completely if i weren't back at my garden. In other words, ymmv, but I wouldn't.
    Too much soaking and you're inviting root rot which puts an end to any thoughts of a decent haul. So simply putting more water in the pans, or using bigger totes, isn't a solution.

10. Justcheckingitout

I think I am going to set up a timer and a reservoir with a small pump. I can clone everything and they will be good in the dome for 10 days easy so worst case if I lost anything I will have back up.