Life After Harvest?

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by ScottyG420, Jul 11, 2009.

1. ScottyG420

ScottyG420 Marijuana Handler

After your female buds, do you HAVE to chop her down to harvest, or can you harvest the buds and then put the female back into a vegetative cycle?

2. bLITzkRIEg420

bLITzkRIEg420 sHAPesHIFTinG rEPTiLiAN

You can take the main cola and leave the bottom stuff to finish for a little longer but the plant will not keep flowering after you chop.

3. ScottyG420

So I can't harvest without taking down the whole plant? Can I put it back under a vegetative cycle if I don't cut down the whole plant? I've never harvested before, so there mat be some things that I'm missing here.

4. skunky

skunky labor smoke'n lumberjack

Yes you can reveg the plant. Just leave some leafs and growth shoots, feed it some veg formula and through it back under 18-6 or 24hr light. Will take awhile to re-veg so be patient and you may want to have some other plants going just encase. Some newer growers have some difficulty re-vegging. Usually they either overwater or overfeed them. But to answer your question yes you can flower your females take the colas and majority of the buds leaving some and re-veg them.

5. zion07

zion07 Flowering again

What you are talking about is called 'Regeneration". What you will do is this: After you take your harvest, keeping in mind that your plant needs around 50% of it's foliage to continue living, you will simply put your lights back on a 24 hour schedule. In a couple of weeks your plant will revert back to a Vegetative state and you can start your cycle all over again.

Here's the catch: This seriously stresses your plants and it will most likely decrease your yield the 2nd time around. I don't know if you can perpetually continue to regenerate your plants but I know from experience that you can do it at least once. I've gotten into the habit of just taking clones at the very end of Veg. and starting the next grow from those. It takes about the same amount of time and you know exactly what you are gonna get with clones.

I hope this helps out!

Cheers to ya!

Zion

6. ScottyG420

Ahhhhh....I see. OK then. Thank you very much.

7. skunky

While you have better chances at survival with about 50% foliage left it is completely unnecessary. I've re-vegged plants with less than 10% of the original foliage.

8. ScottyG420

Cool. Thanks for making that differentiation, Skunk. Much appreciation to you.

9. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Same here.

10. ScottyG420

Do you just put them back under 24hr of light?

11. Dank Vapor

Dank Vapor Harvested Fat Sticky Bud

It can be 24 hr. It just has to be full vege lighting from 18/6 to 24/0.

But the time it takes to reveg, you could easily clone a plant and grow it quicker than its takes for a reveg, unless you have no other means of saving that girl.

12. ScottyG420

Yeah. It sounds like it would just be easier to try to get clones going while the females are in preflower. On these budding plants that I've got going, I could take a cutting, but every single branch has buds on top of it. Could one take a cutting from a budded female, harvest the buds off of it, and then proceed with the standard cloning procedures, provided there is some foliage left on the branch?

13. skunky

:icon_scratch: You do cloning before flower. You want to take a cutting from an already flowering female(will delay the rooting process), harvest it, then clone? you realize to do that you would just be in the same boat you are already in with the re-veg, except now you would be taking clones once you were able to. Don't take a cutting if you can only take one, if you have never done it before you are going to want more than one cutting. Besides if the plant is already flowering you would be taking the cutting from you might aswell re-veg that other plant because it will take about the same time to re-veg as it would to get the clone to root and grow.

So how long are these plants along you are speaking of and are you speaking of the same plant when you take about the re-veg and/or cloning?

If you are for some reason talking about taking a cutting and removing the buds and trying to clone, more than likely you will just kill the plant because you will probably remove all the growth shoots.

Don't take cuttings unless you can take more than one. If you can't then just do the re-veg

14. Dank Vapor

Dank Vapor Harvested Fat Sticky Bud

Guess I was misunderstood. I meant that its quicker to take a clone from a vege mother and grow a new plant than to take a flowering female and reveg her Scotty.

15. CIVILIZED

CIVILIZED "SAMSON.... Momma fell"

Been there and Done that with the "RE-VEG". Usually to save good genetics or this time Save good genetics and Re-Veg all of Garden....I typically would prefer 4 week old clones right now, but I am gonna Re-Veg these Purple Kush plants.....I have Re-veged more plants this year than ever before (90% success)....FIRST OF ALL...As Skunky said you MUST leave enough vegetation on the plants so when put back into 24 hours they have GREEN for photosynthesis.....YET!!!! The first 2 weeks of Regen are important because little happens and Plants easily get over or under watered...Leaves get crispy and yellow and it's hard to tell EXACTLY where new growth is popping from....

New Growth essentially Explodes all over plant simoultaniously...FOR ME? this causes a ball of leaves....So precise pruning of a Re-Generated Mama is probably most important if you are re-generating for a harvest and not just a clone MOM....If left unchecked your re-gen will look like a Cross of Hash Plant and front Yard IVY....Let it grow out and pick specific Branches, Tie them down to stakes and picture those stretched branches as your future light bathed Colas...AND REMOVE ALL THE REST OF UN-NEEDED GROWTH!!!! Re-Gens grow like a mother Trucker..... even deep into the 12/12 cycle they need a waxing...

-Hope that helped???:bong2:

16. ScottyG420

Clones, Regeneration

Cedar, your answer about the clones was exactly what I was trying to find out. Muchas gracias to those who are educating me on female regeneration.

I read FAQs, but if I've received conflicting info, I ask here b/c of the sheer amount of knowledge and experience all in one place. Plus you lot are pretty wise. You all seem to be able to generate a consensus on what's what and what's shite.