Any regular gardening plans?

Discussion in 'Smokers Lounge' started by Hank Chinaski, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski Ruminating

It's getting pretty warm here and I will starting up my regular gardens next week while I still have some free time before work gets busy. The stores are all selling the spring vegie starters already.

I will be growing the same as last year, I guess. Lettuce, bok choy, and okra in the very small space behind my house. And in the big garden, lots of toms, eggplant, bell peppers, potatoes, and cucumbers. Also. smaller amounts of taro, yakon, hot peppers.

There are lots of onions and some mustard greens in the ground now from over the winter.

I should try some new stuff, but I don't know what.

I'm excited for the new season starting and determined to do better staying on top of the grass that took over last year and turned my plot into a jungle complete with poisonous snakes (I'm not kidding).

I'm very interested to know what you all do for non-cannabis gardening activities.

:passsit:

MrAstro likes this.
  2. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

I've been working on our garden all weekend. Putting in Tomatoes, Peas, Lima Beams, Artichoke, Okra, Onion, Lemon Cucumbers, Green Squash, Hot Peppers, Bell Peppers, Strawberries, Sunflowers, Watermelon, Beets,n potatoes, Lavender, Rosemary, Basil, Mint, and various varieties of flowers. I love to garden! :thumbs-up: There is nothing better than putting together a fresh meal using veggies you grew yourself. I like to be out in the :XXsunsmile: it's just a great time of year.

3. MrAstro

MrAstro R.I.P

I already have my horse radish, Thanks to teamster6 :thumbs-up:

Every yr. it's tomatos and hot peppers. My tomatos always top-out at 6' I give most away. Last yr. I added hot and greek oregano. The dogs killed the mint I planted 'unsecured' (urine!).

This yr. I expanded the garden alittle, so I'm going to add lettuce, cauliflower, and broccoli.

If I ever 'plant roots' and have my own place, I'd love to have a set-up more like Herb's.

Isn't gardening fun :thumbs-up:

4. Herb

Herb Mountain Man

Speaking of gardens...been in mine all day today. Got an old claw-foot tub for free and decided it would be perfect for planting strawberries in. I got it all cleaned up and painted a while back so today I got it in place out in the garden and filled it up with some soil/compost mix just a while ago. We planted cucumbers last weekend then got a cold storm (we had snow yesterday morning) this past week which kicked their dicks in the dirt even though I covered them. :321fu: Everything else is doing well though.

Spring is in the air and the garden is coming back to life. :thumbs-up:

5. The Tron

The Tron ONE MAN GANG

We just started our outdoor garden with cabbage, corn, peppers, tomatoes, greens, melons, onions, and Okra, all in a small area with raised beds, we are really excited about it

6. Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski Ruminating

Well, I finally got my vegies in the ground the last couple weeks, tomatos, bell peppers, egg plants, cucumbers, potatos, yakon, taro, okra, a couple kinds of lettuce, watermelon, and one hot pepper.

Small plot in the back yard, containers in the back yard and borrowing a corner of a large field owned and farmed by my wife's friend's parents.

Can't wait til things start coming in. I just gotta stay up on the weeding this year. Last year things got bad. I'll put up some pics once things start kicking off.

:popcorn-2:

7. spinkler

spinkler Game On!

Very heavy water restrictions over here due to drought, so outdoor gardens are a no-no for me... My ultra-destructive dog would love a garden to dig up, though. :p

8. big t double

big t double i finally changed this

how much area do watermelons take up??? they vine out on the ground right??? hope you can post up some pics.

9. Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski Ruminating

I'm not entirely sure as I've never grown them before. The actual fruit size of the type grown here is much smaller than the American variety and round. Yes, they vine out and I'm growing two in my smaller space of the two, so I'm going to be directing them where I want them to go and hopefully they can provide some good ground cover to keep some of the grass out.

10. Herb

Herb Mountain Man

This is how I grow my melons. I like to take up as small a footprint as possible so I can grow more things in the small area I have so I invented these racks to go on my raised beds. Works great for any type of vine plants. I grow cucumbers this way too. I did find that 2 levels high was perfect. I tried the 3 levels and it just shaded the lowest level too much which made it useless.

Watermelons:

[​IMG]

Cucumbers:

[​IMG]

Hank Chinaski likes this.
  11. Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski Ruminating

Wow, Herb, that is a really cool set-up. I bet weeding isn't a problem with those boxes. How many plants have you got in each?

Makes me think I could put more thought into I how I've got stuff arranged.

12. Boa

Boa Cured Fat Sticky Bud

:321fu: :321fu: :321fu: I hate u with envy HERB!!!!!! LOL man i love your set up n might have to copy that shit for my watermelon and cantilope. Didint u use that set up last year for cucumbers too?

Well i got tomatos, beans, two different kinds of cucumbers, watermelon, cantilope, bell peppers, bannana peppers, halapeno, habanaro, radishes, carrots, cilantro, stick onions, and my fav. giant pumpkin! Cant wait to see what i get this year. Last year i had 15 foot corn plants that hade about 6-12 ears per stalk. Fuckin nuttz!

Man its soo cool how many ppl love norml gardens. Imagin the day when we finally get to grow our plants like CanadianDan does"? LOL

13. Herb

Herb Mountain Man

The raised beds are great and easy to weed, yes. I had to build them to prevent the gophers from eating my plants but they have turned out to be much more advantageous than I expected. All around they work great for so many things...I'm still finding uses for them.

Boa...those were the pics from last year. I've since built 3 more that are located on a lower level and outside the fence so I have to make it so the ground squirrels can't get in now. Seems like every time I build something new the damn animals figure out how to eat my stuff! :fingermad: That's ok though....keeps me on my toes and helps me come up with new ideas. :idea:

14. Boa

Boa Cured Fat Sticky Bud

hell yeah make the shit fun right? I got a blow dart gun this year. HAHA come on u fuckin squirls!

15. Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski Ruminating

Squirrels are cool, dude. What kind of damage are they doing to your garden that makes you want to kill them?

If you'll note, Herb is just blocking off the animals. He isn't trying to kill them for nibbling his melons.

16. Boa

Boa Cured Fat Sticky Bud

LOL na bro the little plastic balls are way funnier! It dont hurt them just scares the fuck outta them.

Na but they eat the corn, cuces, and dig up the sunflower seeds all the time. My doggs are just as bad tho lol!

17. Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski Ruminating

And Moseeds, when he had ascended the tallest maple, screached out "Let my squirrels goooooo!!!!!!!"

Acorns 2:30

18. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Diggin the gardens folks.

Ummm, squirrels taste good too. Specially in an onion gravy...Yuuuuuummm.

19. Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski Ruminating

Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather watch them than eat them. (unless we are going into some kinda break down of society/survivalist style mode)

Squirrels are acrobatic, clever and cute. A billing your average slaughterhouse hog can't fill. I'm not against eating squirrels per se, but any I see will get fed peanuts.

20. spinkler

spinkler Game On!

I read this and all I could think was:

"Hey, sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie, but I'd never know 'cause I wouldn't eat the filthy motherfucker. Pigs sleep and root in shit. That's a filthy animal. I ain't eat nothin' that ain't got sense enough to disregard its own feces."

:roffl: