Rosetta Stone

Discussion in 'Smokers Lounge' started by Cannagirl, May 16, 2010.

1. Cannagirl

Cannagirl Preheat to 420

Anybody used it? Is it just good advertising? Does anyone know how to get a free copy of the spanish one?

I took 4 years of HS spanish and am still not fluent but I would really like to be....

2. JohnH

JohnH Smoker Extraordinaire

Torrent it, I did a few years ago. Had 20+ languages in the download, never got the motivation to use it.

3. LionLoves420

LionLoves420 Lazy Days In The Sun

Same here.

Its the same kind of language learning system they used at the first college I went to. It really is all about repetition and motivation. But yeah, they are there to make money.

4. HappyHappyHighGuy

HappyHappyHighGuy dreamer and misfit

You can download audiobook lessons that have music and a beat in the background. Not Rosetta

5. ncmaineac

ncmaineac Harvested Fat Sticky Bud

hey canna

i am almost positive you can get it at the library....i think my daughter tried it and it was spanish...might be worth a call anyways...good luck...i have enough trouble with american english..

6. weedlover714

weedlover714 Germinating

yea..i heard it works great. just gotta do it!

7. ShadowWarrior

ShadowWarrior In The Spirit Realm

I've used their Russian sample version. It's word-association x repetition... in other words, I wasn't impressed. Nothing about proper grammar, sentence structure, word placement etc... basically just memory.

I think you'd be happier with "Spanish for Dummies", I've got that for both Spanish and Russian and they seem a lot more helpful than Rosetta Stone.

8. Cannagirl

Cannagirl Preheat to 420

Thanks, that first paragraph is what I needed to really know. I know the words for the most part, it's the putting them together I have real trouble with. Thank SW and everyone else too!!!

9. ShadowWarrior

ShadowWarrior In The Spirit Realm

no problem, but for a positive note, rosetta stone IS good for accent familiarization/practice.

10. Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski Ruminating

There are a jillion of those systems out there for sale and from what I've seen they all make promises they can't keep. Like "learn Swahili in just 6 weeks!", etc...

Books and cds are good support materials, but the only way to achieve proficiency in a second language is through using it to interact with native speakers of that language.

We learn by doing.

11. Cannagirl

Cannagirl Preheat to 420

Good thing I live in California....no shortage of native speakers of that language for sure ;)

Ur totally right. I did several mission trips to Mexico and learned more in those months than the 4 years in high school.