How long can plants survive without light?

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by nuggnester, Dec 27, 2009.

1. nuggnester

nuggnester Pot & Poker Enthusiast

so....was about to switch to flower...but...to leave out specific details (for fear of being pinpointed) am going to be without power for the forseeable future (up to four days...would make it a total of six)....the girls are cold ( 40's) and completely without light....what the fucc do I do? are they going to die? flowering had iterally just started...they got like 12 hours once...then bam..darkness...

i've heard of people leaving their plants in the dark right before flowering...so I know that 2-3 days won't hurt...but what about a week?

How worried should I be?

2. Toker2

Toker2 Looking at a hot ass

Damn im worried bout the cold.....lights? Not sure , I think 4 days?????

Shit man hopefully they get it fixed soon

3. HeadCase

HeadCase Old Prick

I think they're live but the shock may cause them to hermie at worse.-Bud

4. Tex-Elektric-Bud

Tex-Elektric-Bud Journey man sparky

a buddy of mine had the same issue where his power was off for 4 days, what he did was keep the ladies by a window so they could atleast aqquire some kind of light, he used a window that no one would be looking in of course and his ladies survived and didnt even hermie. his also were about 2 weeks into flower. He kept them by the window light for 12 hours, then brough them back to the dark for 12 hours! it seemed to work for him. they didnt grow for a while but they survived and ended up producing pretty good considering! Good luck TEX!

5. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

shit thats a pisser Nugg!! I would be very upset considering all the time you have in them.
    Window idea would be the minimum but not probably adequate. do you have a generator or can you rent one???? Might be cheap considering what you will probably loose. Your options on this one a not good other than taking them somewhere else.

Teamster6

6. HeadCase

HeadCase Old Prick

Generator is a good idea but if everybody loose power then it will be hard to find one. I got one off craig's list a nice one for $300 like new I think it 3600 watts the cheap ones with low watts won't work.-Bud

7. smoker69

smoker69 Excommunicated

sokay

since the plants wont freeze at night. I hink your babies will be fine for a couple weeks if need be. Since they are already flowering your in good shape:) good luck man. I WOULD BE WORRIED TOO, but they wont die fast. They do recover fast tho.

8. RkyMtnWayHigh69

RkyMtnWayHigh69 2010 NAGC Winner

I'd have to agree with HeadCase.

I'm positive the plants will survive as long as they don't freeze and they aren't completely dried out. It's definitely not a good thing to do, but if you have no choice, you have no choice.

Good luck!

9. nuggnester

Well Well Well...guess I'm the Guinee Pig...

Well...They survived....power was turned on a couple hours ago...and they are warming up...

Bitches took three 35 degree nights in striiiiiiide...HARDLY any light...i was so sketched out someone might see them in some windows they didn;t get much....

Now I am just going to have to throw them back into the routine.

Does anyone know if really cold weather like that kills spider mites?

one of my bitches had a WEB on two leaves...but I still cannot find a single single one....

They really don't show much spider mite damage...really weird

There is some spotting I think due to the cold weather...some slightly drooping leaves...and some yellowing...Nothing a little mite bomb, miticide, heat, light, and nutrients cannot fix!!!!

:thumbsup: :smokin: :bongin:

10. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

good news nuggnester glad you did not loose them. If I were you I would get some of those hot shot strips for those damn mites before they get out of hand.

Teamster6

11. choker

choker HIDING OUT

whewww........Good to hear we do not have a funeral to go to. I am sure they will be fine. You were only flowering for a day. They will bounce right back. They may flower quicker with the added darkness.

Good luck and hope to see a photo when they get flowering.

12. Toker2

Toker2 Looking at a hot ass

Indeed......It will kill them

Bad news

NOT the EGGS.

http://thegardenguy.tripod.com/omma/id14.html

13. nuggnester

Thanks for the article

One of the better spider mite articles I have read.