Any Birdwatchers Out There?

Discussion in 'The Growkind Gallery' started by Hank Chinaski, Mar 31, 2010.

1. dlr42

dlr42 King of GrowKind

I think Blue Jays are like that every where. I've had them come right at me.

I did see my first cardinal of spring the other day.

2. Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski Ruminating

Some more bird pics

I saw a Hawfinch like this one two days ago for the first time. It was lying in the road on it's back. It was still alive, but didn't seem to be able to move except for opening it's beak and hissing at me when I moved it to the grass on the roadside. Maybe it had flew into a car and broken it's neck. I don't know. I hope to see one in better health next time

[​IMG]

I saw one of these, a Japanese Pygmy Woodpecker, last Saturday while I was out in the woods looking for potential grow spots.

[​IMG]

This is a Bull-headed Shrike. I've seen them twice this spring. They are little hunters and have the interesting practice of skewering their prey on thorns, etc...to display as a way showing their hunting prowess and attracting females.

[​IMG]

Today's last entry is the White-cheeked Starling, a common year round resident and a very energetic bird that often congregates in large flocks in the winter.

[​IMG]

3. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

I've been enjoying these little guys. The lesser Gold Finch. They are all over the place around here and they are strikingly beautiful.

[​IMG]

4. Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski Ruminating

Wow, yes, that's a gorgeous little bird. You are lucky.

5. marymaryquitecntrary

marymaryquitecntrary Smokin' Fat Sticky Buds

Hank, I've really enjoyed looking at your bird pix. Keep it up! :anibong:

I have a pileated woodpecker in my front yard. Still trying to get a good pic to show to everyone. :passsit:

6. Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski Ruminating

Just to clarify, I didn't actually take any of these pics. They are birds I watch, but the pics come from the internet.

7. AverageJoe

AverageJoe papa oom mow mow

The only bird I watch is the Red Breasted Original Recipe. :droooling:

[​IMG]

:kidding: :cool-pix:

8. 4F2C0J

4F2C0J STAYYY FLYYY

My dog eats pigeons, rats, whatever he can catch, hes a better hunter then my cat now.

9. HappyHappyHighGuy

HappyHappyHighGuy dreamer and misfit

Empire State pigeon

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski Ruminating

Nice pigeon pics!

11. Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski Ruminating

Not a bird.

Here is a lizard that crawled out of my raspberry bushes. I think it is a skink.

[​IMG]

12. Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski Ruminating

Barn Swallow Triptych

The swallows came back at the end of March. A big sign of the returning Spring, they are a joy to see. There are many, many around here and it is always a pleasure to watch them swoop, twist and dive through the air like little fighter jets. When I take the road running along the river they fill the air zooming back and forth in front of the car. Really cool.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski Ruminating

There are loads of frogs and snakes around here. A frog is outside my window right now croaking out "Hey ladies! Heeeyyyy ladies! Heeeyyy giiiirrrrlllllssss!"

Maybe I should post some pics of them as well.

I love nature.

14. mt.king

mt.king mud drags champion

Dead Birds

I WATCH THEM DIE WHEN THEY TRY TO EAT MY SNOW PEAS & BEANS SPROUTING ....POINTED FIELD PELLETS WORK GOOD BUT I DONT KILL NON NUSANSE BIRDS

I HATE BARN SWALLOWS :roffl::roffl::roffl::roffl::roffl:

15. Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski Ruminating

They probably don't like you much, either.

16. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

:roffl: :roffl: :roffl: :thumbs-up: No Doubt! I don't kill anything I'm not gonna eat. With the exception of rats that may get into the house. And I'm sure the rats hate my ass! :roffl:

On the subject of bird-watching. I have been watching these little House Finches fluttering about my yard.

[​IMG]

All the while the Mockingbirds mock everyone! :roffl:

[​IMG]

17. Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski Ruminating

Nice pics, Ras. I like that red. Very pretty.

I'll have to think about which of the lovely birds around here to feature next.

:popcorn-2:

18. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

I've been going to my grandmother's house a lot lately and she has a little over an acre of land where I grew up. She has some very big and tall eucalyptus trees. In the tallest of the three trees, up about 100 feet is a very large nest. In that nest are three Red Tailed Hawk babies. I like to watch them with the binoculars as they fight over the food the parents bring them and as they grow feathers and begin to learn how to fly. They are beautiful majestic birds of prey. They usually mate for life and will return to the same nest year after year. They have been nesting in my Grandmother's tree for over 10 years now. It truly is something special. I wish I had a camera with a telephoto lens so I could get some pics of the actual pair that is nesting at my Grandma's.

This is a pretty common sight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski Ruminating

I love tits!

These three are the tits resident on my mountain. They can been seen quite often on the mountain, but almost never come down to the village. All of these tits are related to the Black-Capped Chickadee we have back in Minnesota.

This is a Coal Tit.

[​IMG]

Here is a pair of Great Tits. Who doesn't love a pair of Great Tits? (ba-dumm-tsshh)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And, finally, a Willow Tit. It's a rather small tit, but some people prefer them.

[​IMG]

20. Cannagirl

Cannagirl Preheat to 420

LOL you just reminded me of highschool. My science teacher would take us on bird walks (my HS backed up to a reserve) for extra credit after school. I went with my best friend every time and every time the teach said "titmouse" or "bushtit" (the two tits that frequent my area) we couldn't help but laugh. The good ol' immature days!

Titmouse -

[​IMG]

Bushtit -

[​IMG]

Other Bush Tits -

[​IMG]