Do you think an air conditioner is necessary?

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by carly22, Aug 27, 2006.

1. carly22

carly22 Developed Alternating Nodes

Hey guys I was about to buy an air conditioner today but then i did some reading that made me second guess myself. my clones arent ready to go under the big 1000watthps light yet, but i know that when that sucker is on the temp is up to like 86-88F... which is too high right. however i read some where that as long as the air circulation is good and the heat is not 'standing still', you dont need an air conditioner.

well my grow room is 9x11x8 and i have a 449cfm 6" vortex fan exhausting out the window and a passive 6" intake coming from the room next door. so based on this info do u think it will actually be alright? i think thats pretty good ventilation but maybe i'm wrong....

and no the light is not air cooled, if u were wondering....

2. SoTexGrowr1

SoTexGrowr1 Developed Alternating Nodes

It's 88 with your air in/out? I recommend putting a couple of ionizers in there.

edit***

your room is looking very nice, hopefully you'll get a fat yield.

3. carly22

thanks i'm glad u like the room :) i hope i get a fat yield too but its my first time so.... we shall see

but yeah it is hotter than i expected.. i thought ionizers were just for odor. i have a 3ft carbon filter for that.

4. bubblegump

bubblegump Latae Sententiae Excommunication

5. Administrator

Administrator Administrator

I'm with Bubbleman. ^^^ ( Nice abs BTW....LOL! )

If your temps are only at 88 tops then you don't have much more to drop them. I assume you've run the light for several hours at the hottest part of the day to see what equalized temps are...right? If not...do so. You can drop temps a lot just by using an enclosed 'vented' hood' or by making a cool tube. Not sure a cool tube would work for a 1000W light (too damn big around from what I've read) but they may be making soemthing to fit those size lamps now....I dunno. Either way it's far cheaper to do that then to buy and run an ac unit. Give it some thought....you may just need an extra small cfm fan to cool the hood itself and keep all that heat out of the room to begin with.

6. carly22

oh man bubblegump pleeease change your avatar!!!! that image is burned in my mind now!!! heh

anyways yeah i'm trying to think of alternatives to the a/c unit as i cant use a window mounted one where i live and the portable kind require some sort of the exhaust to the outside and thats not gonna work for me either. so i was thinking of either air cooling the light itself or creating a home made a/c unit like i have seen other people do... like where you get a regular cooler and put two holes in it and run some aluminum pipe through it and attach that to your air intake and keep the cooler full of ice... not sure if that would have an affect to the somewhat large size of my room tho.

Herbsparky - yes i have run the light for a full 24 hours and checked the temp in the middle of the afternoon... however i'm thinking that i will run my 'lights on' cycle during the night to help with this, i'm sure that would drop it at least a couple degrees... actually yeah maybe if i did that and made that cooler thing that would be enough... i dont really wanna set up more ducting and figure out the air cooled light shit... bah it never ends does it .. there is always something that needs to be tweaked, some way to improve....

anyways thanks for the opinions guys ... and bubblegump, for the love of god please go on a diet!!!!!! :eek:

7. wawona

wawona The Trichome Connoisseur

heat was always an issue during july and august in my flower room. it is just plain hot. with a 4 inch intake and exhaust using the same fan on each the daytime temps would get to 88 f almost daily. always running the lights during night time. lots of air moving through the grow area made it "tolerable". i didn't see any negative effects in growth rate so to speak, but it seems to affect the density of the buds. which totally affect weight in the end.

i could never justify spending the money on the ac or on the extra money for the elctric bill too effectively cool a garage.

keeping a lot of air moving through the grw area allos for bit warmer temos. IMO

maybe you could make that intake more active than passive. any way to do that? would allow more fresh air in.

8. cracdamac7

cracdamac7 Germinated

bake a round

I saw on ebay a tube called a "bake-a-round" used to cook bread. when i was on overgrow, a lot of the members were making their own cool tubes as opposed to spending over a hundred bucks for one. you can fit up to a 400 watt bulb in the tube, it is made of tempered material so it will not crack or warp under heat. all you have to do is run the flexible ducting from the exhaust fan to the bake a round which will incase the bulb, then get some of those metal bands that you have to use a screwdriver to tighten or loosen to fasten the tube to what ever you are using to hang the tube/light. you can also use those metal tie wraps to secure the tube to the ducting or either you could purchase duct tape.you can get the bake around for $8

9. Administrator

I always ran my lights at night and off during the day too. Worked great and that could just get you to where you want to be temp wise. Good luck on that. :)

10. GhostDog

GhostDog Begun Flowering

for a 1kwatt light u need an 8in. cool tube. you can look in the phone book for glass fabricators and they will make you one just give them the dimensions and ask for 1/8th in tempered glass

11. MMM420SoCal

MMM420SoCal New Sprout

Thats not entirely true, you can use a 4" bake around but you need some serious fan power and reducers from 6" to 4" back up to 6"

Im using a 4" bake around on a 1000 right now, gotta let the socket stick into the ducting. Has to be an HPS, MH is way too large.

M3

12. wawona

Hey M3 :cool: Long time no see. We miss your knowledge 'round here, especially in the hash and oil forum.

hang around a bit more if you can find the time. we're not all THAT bad at growkind. (despite popular belief) :p

any way, good to "see" ya

13. H20K9AU

H20K9AU SUPERSTIKY

Hey guys, doest the cool tube just put that hot air right back in the room?Heat is a problem for me, but the air cooled w/ ducting really seems to help.

14. trillions of atoms

trillions of atoms Latae Sententiae Excommunication

no, u suck the hot air from the hood out of the room.....thats the whole point. hope that helped....

15. Randy High

Randy High Organic Alumni

I was wondering if a swamp cooler would work better?

I have seen that enclosed rooms work well with AC. The Air cycles and Co2 is augmented in an enclosed room, so I have read/seen.

16. link420

link420 Smokin' Fat Sticky Buds

The cooled hood solution is a good one :)

A swamp cooler uses water to chill the air..:confused: I think, so using those might really raise the humidity levels in there. How about an intake fan? I had heat problems the last time I was indoors until I installed a intake fan, it dropped the temps by almost 10°F.

17. wawona

the cooled hood or tube is the best idea. just exaust the air pulled through the tube outta the room.

we had one of those water cooled at work a while. it raised the humidity so much that the papers in the office were droopy and wet to the the touch. it lowered the temp considerably, but i feel like you'd need a dehumidifier for sure.

Hey Link and randy high it's good to see ya'll on the boards too.

18. Administrator

I used to run a swamp cooler at my old place and they do raise humidity quite a bit. Worked good for me because I was in such an arid place I needed the raise. In this case the vented hood is the way to go I think. It's no big deal either...you just need to isolate the heat in the hood and then exhaust it....simple. You could even run a splitter 'Y' on your current fan and run one to the hood.