HPS vs MH for veg...

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by RecessionGrower, May 10, 2010.

1. CCrete

CCrete Mr. Poopyfacepeepeehead

I veg with 2 CMH bulbs........and i applied my original mh's to my flower room.........so yea i do run the mh in my flower and with the cmh's its relative to a combo from hps and mh in my veg....

I think of it this way........cars have engines, thats our lights for US........but that car goes waaaaaay faster with some upgrades......exhaust, air induction etc...Why just keep it stock if your TRYING to run faster,better,stronger??>

Same with plants.....they grow great under HPS but they grow better under a FULL spectrum

All i know is, I follow a good bit of LARGE medi grows and SMALL medi grows on a few sites.........THOSE are the professionals, they do it for a living.....THEY do the research on site and they use MH and HPS and maximize the MH in the last 3 weeks of flower...........proofs in the puddin

2. ncmaineac

ncmaineac Harvested Fat Sticky Bud

kewl

chris, thats very kewl...i had no idea..i guess we learn something everyday..in theory...that makes some sense to me...i dont have any mh bulbs right now..but i have the ability to use one...so i think i will give it a try...

thanks for the help...i wonder if others like useless does that as well....and just a thought but with the price of electricity...have you figured if the end justifies the means, ...just typing out loud...lol..thanks again

3. stickyicky24

stickyicky24 Cured Fat Sticky Bud

I think it should be noted too that brand of bulb could play a difference. I mean.......I would probably take an Eye HPS bulbs over a Home Depot MH for vegging. I absolutely LOVE their Blue Daylight MH. And I too run my MH at the end of flowering, but only for a week.

4. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

I have not hit the flowering plants with any mh yet might have to try it. With continued grows I have grown vegging mh 3 to 4 weeks then hps.

I never considered it any problem with height or large stems or the plants not being bushy just damn good results (for me anyway)

Ha Ha maybe its because I grow them in Lava Cinders do you suppose??

:beerchug-2:

Teamster6

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Last two indoor gardens I did had two 250W MH's thrown in with the 900 watts of HPS during flower. The plants really seemed to love the addition to the spectrum. I figure anything we can do to expand the usable spectrum is a benefit to the overall garden health and ultimately the yield.

Next light rack I build will definitely include both.

cheers,

6. wwboy

wwboy pro grow!

wwboy

ncmaineac...yes its true about people say this / that and sometimes the info gets to where ya dont really know without trial yourself....the whole debate over adding u.v. lighting to a grow is still ...well...debated quite hard....however it seems that most agree that h.p.s light in addition to m.h will produce higher quality flowers....i like to just veg & flower with h.p.s. then burn ONLY the m.h. for my last three wks to zero in on the tric quality....h.p.s. will for sure make for larger flowers but the m.h. i beleive helps bring out the tric quality as well as added taste......so im shorting myself on a bit of flower size but im sure my plants cant be grown out with anymore quality in the end....they are maxed out on there genitic potential all the way....so its what i do and most persons will run both types of lighting but i dont really need bigger flowers just better end quality..in fact i prefer smaller flowers to say 20 lbs of one ounce buds....the way i cure em seems to work well with smaller flowers as well...anyway to each there own but do try some experiments..my latest is the addition of (MAGNTITE) to my soil mix...its a natural magnetic powder type stuff that so far is pushing a few plants it seems in what id say is twice the growth rate and root mass....its crazy...anyway good luck with all yer grows and keep experimenting.

7. luvtogrow

luvtogrow Veggy Stage

Wow! Amazed how many growers think an hps(even blue enhanced), will give you tighter nodes than an MH. That's just 10+ years indoor growing, lots of which was hps/mh side by side and the only difference i could note was denser bushes on mh side, same strain. Buds smaller but tighter. I guess it could just depend on ones set-up as well? Never noticed a tric diff or elevated potency.

8. wwboy

wwboy pro grow!

wwboy

id say everyones stains show diff....some are bushey/some not so much...ill say ive screwed around with all and my oppinion is that H.P.S. is for certain the best (IVE) run into for (MY) strains and ive not used M.H. unless its the last 3 wks..........to each there own bro.

9. AlienBait

AlienBait Custom User Title

O.K., who is going to do a side by side comparison grow to solve this question?

I cannot because I use Flos for veg, but some one with the space, time, and lights certainly can. :potleaf-3:

10. djova

djova Germinating

I tried out the 90 W UFO as well and had the same experience. It vegged very well but couldn't flower very well at all. I've been looking around for a good LED light to replace my HPS since they use about 1/4 of the electricity and produce much less heat. I grabbed two 120 W from this site and they're working very well so far.

Has anyone else here thought about using LEDs or has actually had some success with them?

11. WiZaRD

WiZaRD Harvested Fat Sticky Bud

My last INDOOR grow, I vegged for three weeks under CFL's 6500k, then went to my 1000w MH, then for the last two weeks of veg I used the enhanced HPS, then flowered with the HPS.

This time, I'm vegging under two shop lights with the ~4000k, with (4)43w CFL's @ 5600k. I have very very tight nodes on all 6 different strains. I will be putting in my enhanced 1000w HPS in the next week and be keeping the 4 CFL's as well and they will stay there through the flowering period as well. I figured having 8800 Lumens of 5600K light might help my ladies during their flowering under my lovely HPS. I plan to have them just hanging, about midway up the height of the plants. I'll see how it works.

edit: I've been kind of curious, if perhaps vegging under HPS encourages pre-flowers to show ASAP. Hrm.