think my grow room is too hot

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by DrageArts, Sep 9, 2006.

1. DrageArts

DrageArts BigBud

Hi all its me again
    I think my grow room is a bit on the hot side, I do not have a temp reader as yet so I can not tell for sure.
    I have raised the light as far as I can from the tops of the plants, around a meter away.
    I am using a hood type light with a big 450 wht bulb and it throws out a lot of heat.
    [​IMG]

as you can just about see from the images below the tops of my plants don't look so good and I think it is due to the heat.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I will have to get a fan for the room to help cool things down some what or change the light for a smaller one I have.

cheers

2. chopstick

chopstick Chilled out

I really can't tell from the photos you've posted, they just aren't clear enough to see the damage you're refering to.

First things first, you must have a temperature guage in your grow room, this is a must, since MJ is particular about temp, I keep my grow between 25 - 29C.

Secondly you must have ventilation in there, at bare minimum an oscilating fan, and in an enclosed space you will require an exaust to remove stagnant air, as you will need to replenish your room with co2/fresh air.

An open door or window might suffuce during veg, but during flowering your plants will require total dark and an open door or window will disturb the dark period and cause petential hermies, so an exaust is important. Both of these will bring down your temp considderably.

I suggest you go out and get a temperature guage a.s.a.p. Meantime get a simple oscilating fan on your plants to cool them off. Even a 450wt HPS will throw a lot of heat downwards in stagnant air, a little breeze will make a difference until you install your exaust. Good luck that should help

By the way, may I ask what kind of bulb you are using? 450wt? It just doesn't look like a HPS to me for some reason and I just haven't heard of a 450wt hps.

3. DrageArts

DrageArts BigBud

nice one

Thanks for the sound advice and I will act on it asap :D

as for the bulb I am not too sure my self, as I was given three lights this month and I have not got a clue really what type of light fittings there are or the wht of the bulbs I will have to find out this bit of important information.

I was told it was a 450 wht bulb but they could have been on about the other two lights as they seem to be smaller bulbs.

cheers for you help and you advice dude :rolleyes:

4. DrageArts

DrageArts BigBud

400wht bulb

Hi just checked the bulb and it is a 400wht bulb, a great big fat bulb indeed :eek:

all the best:D

5. krondikebar

krondikebar In A Cloud Of Kush Smoke

you say its a 400W bulb, is it a Halogen bulb? a HPS? or a Metal Halide?

6. krondikebar

krondikebar In A Cloud Of Kush Smoke

oops, double post:eek:

7. chopstick

chopstick Chilled out

Well it's definitely not an HPS you can see the light color and tell, pluss I haven't heard of a 450wt HPS. I just worry you are using the wrong spectrum and whatever light you are using is generating excess heat. check what kind of light it is, not the wattage, but type.

8. UrBigBuddie

UrBigBuddie MEDI-GROWER

"GREAT slide show" my man........ Fantastic!!!

But...... i MUST ask you this one, ... what strain is that , that you are growing, vegging in those slides???, cause my plants are the exact SAME to them in hight and look and abundance to the width of the plant, the colours are all the same the nodes are that yellowish colour too, and the way the alternating nodes are, are the way ther are all on MY plants(3 of them)...

So, iff you could tel me what strain you are growing, it would be a great HELP to myself, as i will be able to treat it better , and be able to look after it in the rite manner too(knowing that i know the strain), so, iff you know, plz plzz plzzzz get back to me and let me know, Thanks ma man.....

(i was told mine was Purple Haze, it may be that its a PURPLE of some kind, but what?, i do NOT know!!! When i looked at your plant , i thaught to myself, that,OMG, that's the plant/s, IM growing, u get me man???.....lol)

Anyway, please inform me iff you happen to know this strain , as im nearly finished my harvest, ive ONLY got 3 weeks of flowering LEFT to do and that's including the non-feeding of nutes part too( the last two weeks of it!!) , so just about done it allllll, and still DONT know the strain.....

Thank You, if you could possibly know it's strain at all, as it WILL help me a great deal, in order to finish it off completely properly, all together!!!

Peace Out,

UrBigBuddie.........:cool.

9. UrBigBuddie

UrBigBuddie MEDI-GROWER

Looks like you are using, what you would "call" a veggitating bu;lb, to flower your BUDS/plants, and as the man says above, it will be all the wrong spectrum off lights, that are given off, for E.G, a FLO bulb, a Halogen Bulb, a Metal Halide, these are allll Fantastic, for VEGGING your plants and can get them off to flowering for some time, BUT, it will NOT be able to give you anywhere NEAR, the yeild or BUD potency or BLOOM you, WOULD get iff you used a 400 wattHPS BULB instead, as they have a great deal, a GREAT deal more RED spectrum of light, that you WILL need for the total flower abundancy of your plant and BUDS!!!

Go for the HPS my friend!!! Fu.K the rest , unless you are veggitating a plant!

Peace Out....

UrBigBuddie........:cool: :D

P.S, sorry, they light really do HELP, but, only iff one is using them WITH an HPS bulb, which you are NOT doing, so get it out of there iff possible, and get an HPS that you think you may have and get that HPS up there above the plants, and the REST around the plant iff neccessarry(ONLY!!!), but, buy the HEAT problem you have, id just stick with the HPS until you can get your ventilation sorted out my man.....

Peace...

n Keep Growing..... :D

10. TennStoner

TennStoner Established Healthy Roots

That light looks really WHITE. Maybe a halogen, which produces far too much heat for the light output given,