Planning a Five Pound Harvest

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by krondikebar, Aug 26, 2006.

1. krondikebar

krondikebar In A Cloud Of Kush Smoke

Anyone have any suggestions on the space needed, lighting required, and so on? I have grown a crop hydro (bubble buckets) But im planning on trying soil with all organic products, do you think hydro would be a better way to go?

We plan on growing about 25-30 plants organic in black gold soil, So far, here is what we are working with: 1-1000W hps, 1-400W hps, 1-250W hps (all lights are in air coolable hoods), A roll of black white poly (10x100'), 2-440CFM fans, all the ducting needed, digital water PH tester, Digital TDS meter, Timers, extention cords, and probably more.

Im not a pro grower, but I assume we will need a C02 Generator, or another significant source of C02. I will spend whatever amount of money its going to take to get more lighting (which I kno I need) a C02 Generator, and maybe a big air conditioner, as I have about 2 months to get everything, and plan every detail I can before we actually start. We were maybe thinking of doing a SOG or a SCROG with a good strain, we will have access to many different types of clones.

Any outlooks/comments/suggestions/advice would be appreciated.

-Krondikebar

2. plastik

plastik Tomato Farmer

well if you want yield and speed, hydro would be the way to go. the only difference in soil and hydro is smell and taste, besides soils slower growth rates. organic hydro can be just as good as soil. you could split it up to how much you will expect from each plant depending on how long you plan to grow, like say, you want to yield 4 ounces per plant, thats 4 plants for a pound, 20 for 5 pounds. 2 ounces, would be 40 plants. I don't think the trouble of trying to grow indoor trees yielding a pound each is worth the effort, since it will take almost a whole season, especially in soil. for best results, you'll want to not let them get taller than 3 ft. I myself would use bagseed for this, plant a hundred, and pick out the strongest ones. but if you are ordering seeds, I suggest you breed them to get more seeds rather than buy all those seeds, cause for 20 plants, you would need atleast 3-4 seed packs, even feminized, because some would be male either way. you shouldn't need a huge air conditioner. best bet is to get a bunch of 600w lights, but the dual spectrum kind, or the HPS kind with the extra blue spectrum. I'd say 6 plants per light, but you can squeeze a few more, maybe 10. so depending on how many plants you plan to grow and how long, really tells you how much lighting you will need.

3. GhostDog

GhostDog Begun Flowering

plastik i dont know what your talking about seeds for? you dont grow from seed if your looking for yield. hes gonna use clones.

yeah hydro would be the best way to go about it. SOG for best yield. or a vertical colliseum style grow would be ideal...if it is feasible for you. 600w lights will give you more light coverage...and doing a SOG you dont need as much light penetration so you wouldnt be missing out on that. if you had four 600w lights you would be able to get 5 pounds assuming you do everything right. you really dont need co2. i dont think it will give you huge gains over just straight ventillation. but thats up to you and your budget.

also...if youre doing a horizontal grow you would do well to get the 600w bulbs with a reflector built in, and use a cool tube hooked up to your fan. that would be ideal anyway, since reflector hoods create a lot of uneccessary heat

4. plastik

plastik Tomato Farmer

well u gotta have clones first, those come from seed. you could grow one plant for clones, but why not take that entire time to just grow all the plants you want from seed, because first he may have clones already or not, if he doesn't, and he just grows a few for clones, it will still take time to root all of those clones, then grow them to harvest. so however long to get the plants large enough for the needed amount of clones, and then however long to root, then however long to veg/flower/harvest. when if you don't have clones, you could just save time. if he already has clones, sure thats fine. but maybe he doesn't have enough to make 5lbs by harvest unless it would require a longer veg/flower time to harvest.

5. blowstrees

blowstrees *BLowin O's and Ounces*

He said he will have access to many different types of clones Plastik. Clones=100% easier than growing from seed. You don't need to spend alot on a C02 generator either if you would like to add one. check out C02boost.com and they sell buckets of 100% organically produced c02 with pumps. i have used them before and they work awesome for smaller grow rooms. you could also use multiple buckets if needed. i also agree with going for 600 watt lights because you get more light spectrum and less electricity :) good luck!

6. plastik

plastik Tomato Farmer

must of missed the last line where he was talking about clones.

i'd recommend aeroponic fogging, or bubble buckets for the size you want, and minimal maintenance/ease of use. the fogger would definitely be your best bet. I just think soil is going to be alot more work, for longer. say you have 20 plants, with 5 gallon buckets each, thats 100 gallons of soil (never had to buy soil so I dont know what that would cost). not to mention what you would need if you are transplanting them into 5gal's later. it'd be messy, probably make your room very mildewy, you'd definitely need top of the notch ventilation and odor control either way. from my own personal experience with additives like silicon, I have noticed that it does help the plants to become very sturdy, and strong limbed. it's not necessary to the plant, but it is found in soil, so the plants have used it for quite some time. it also helps other processes, and helps plants take any possible stresses easier. I've added it all through veg, and partially through flowering.

7. Green Goblin

Green Goblin Cannabis Connoisseur

in my personally implicated and appropriated oppinion...

sog AERO grow with ultrasonic foggers, they're 25 bux each less if you buy in bulk. u can make your fog trays out of a wood frame covered in plastic draining into a reservoir. they could be huge being they dont actually hold water, just a circulating mist..really simple i think... 600 watters for the heat/cost issues described above i think...

i think i think i think...i have yet to do this, but if i wanted to do a big one thats what i'd do. but i dont grow pot so i wouldnt even think of doing anything like that...

you people are bad!

Happy Growin'

8. high yields

high yields Veggy Stage

nice to see someone on here knows the vertical method.

9. krondikebar

werd

Well, thank you all for the advice and opinions. I just thought that soil would be easier to maintain than the bubble buckets. Because if you have never used bubble buckets, you have to empty them out, and clean them every week, That would be a lot of a work to empty 30 - 3.5 gallon buckets every week. I have been brainstorming on how to build the bubble buckets so they are connected to a reservoir.

Ghost dog - I think if I have good in and out vents, then there would be more smell for everyone outside to discover. If I used a co2 Gen then I would be able to keep most of the stinky inside the house. I found a c02 generator for about 300 bucks, so ill prolly do that.

WHAT STRAINS WOULD ANYONE SUGGEST FOR THIS GROW?

Like I said, I have access to MANY different types of CLONES!!!

Please if anyone else has any input, LET ME KNO!

10. GhostDog

GhostDog Begun Flowering

never did like soil. there are threads out there, and on the old OverGrow faq section (listed on 420genetics.com) about how to tie bubble buckets into a circulating res. with control bucket.....never done it before on that scale. if i were you though i would have more than 30 plants...to get the kind of yield youre talking about. i would have more like 60 plants. the kind of hydroponics you go with is up to youre level of skill in assembling the system. i myself wouldnt do an aero grow. especially with foggers since they are likely to have too many technical problems not to mention clogging. i like to keep it simple and on a large scale i would most likely go with a drip system. or maybe NFT.

personally. when i get a chance to build a new system im going to set up an 8 in. glass cooltube vertically with two 600w lights in the middle and an 8in elicent fan. then ill setup a 60 site colliseum style NFT system with 8 inch pvc and 45degree elbows to hold the net pots. all in a 6x6' box. with two lights i would guess at 4 pounds once its dialed in.

11. bubblegump

bubblegump Latae Sententiae Excommunication

12. high yields

high yields Veggy Stage

Connecting the buckets is pretty easy, just need to get nipples at the bottom of the buckets. I used to have a res raised, with a float valve in the control bucket.

Makes it pretty easy to empty out all the buckets at once. I would then move one plant to the control bucket, clean bucket, move another plant to the newly cleaned bucket and repeat. I am pretty lazy, so I ended up not cleaning the buckets every week. If you keep good bubbles bubbling in there, and most importantly make sure that no light goes through the bucket. I used tin foil to wrap around them with metal ducting tape. Worked pretty good. Never had any problems.

13. skunky

skunky labor smoke'n lumberjack

All i gotta say is get a hold of some of that OG cough, great yielder, speed, and potency seems like a winner to me only thing is you gotta find it floating around out there somewhere so keep your eye peeled!

14. krondikebar

hell yea, thanks guys. I guess a 5 pound harvest would be pretty hard with 30 plants, thats like 3 ounces a plant. But im still gonna give it my best shot.

15. greenthumbdanny

greenthumbdanny Excommunicated

High Yields has the right Idea.. I would go with the bucket system myself. But it is not flood and drain.. Its Constant drip with drip rings and pumping columns. Similar to the GH waterfarm but modified big time. With this method you do not need to clean out 30 buckets every week.. The key to this to have your nutrients circulating threw the buckets constantly as well as your resivoir. You need a feed line, a return line, a circulating line. Its pretty simple and is the best method that I have come across. Growth rate is cosiderably faster than DWC, Flood&Drain, or any other hydro method that I have tried.

PS I would recomend minimum of 4K worth of lighting to achieve this goal of yours. Also CO2 is going to be necessary.. Your growing enviroment has to be satisfactory as wel.l You are going to have to spend some money to make this happen dude..

16. krondikebar

Nice to get some input from you danny. Could you show me how to build it?

17. greenthumbdanny

greenthumbdanny Excommunicated

I sure can bud. I will be back around 8 or so. What part do you need help with? How to build the buckets, controller and resivoir? Equipment needed? Let me know.

Be on the look out for the OG cough like skunky suggested. I got to smoke some in Arcata last week for the first time. My buddy turned me onto a oz and I gotta say its a real treat.. Definitely will have some clones for my next round. You will need a good yielder like Chronic, Skunk 1, or AK47 for example.

18. I know I haven't introduced myself yet or anything, mainly I've just been absorbing information. I was wondering perhaps if I haght be able to be to learn the answeres to all the questions that you mentioned. thanks for any reply :)

`J

19. krondikebar

Thanks danny, I kno you are a firm believer in the Skunk #1, which means Ill have to grow it sometime. But, How do you think I would do with Northern Lights?

I figured doing a ScrOG would produce the most amount of bud, but after reading up on all sorts of methods, I dont kno anymore. Now im thinkin about a higher amount of smaller plants. Than fewer and bigger plants.

Invalid Comfort, I see this was your first post. :D Welcome to my thread, feel free to ask questions, Ill answer any That I can.

20. Mr. Wakenbake

Mr. Wakenbake Latae Sententiae Excommunication