Need advise.. Mylar alternatives..

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by whit3widow, Sep 9, 2006.

1. whit3widow

whit3widow Germinated

Hi, there is no mylar to buy around here, so im asking what would be a good alternative?

i bought emergency blankets, they have 80% mylar if im not wrong, but having some hard time to fix them to walls.

i thought on the white paint. butr since my girls are into flower, i cant spare the growroom some days t drop the smell of paint.

would white paper sheets glued on the walls work as if it was painted white? or should i try and stick with emergency blankets?

btw, my growspace is a of wood, well wired balasts and fans, 1.1m wide, 70cm lenght, 1.90m high. hps250w.

Thanks.

2. HighGuy™

HighGuy™ Begun Flowering

You could hang white poster board to get you through until you can paint or get mylar. It's cheap and easy to work with.

3. trillions of atoms

trillions of atoms Latae Sententiae Excommunication

id try and find mylar, and if not just try and work with the emergency blankets....

4. Mr. Wakenbake

Mr. Wakenbake Latae Sententiae Excommunication

go to the dollar store....or wal mart and get the MYLAR window sunblockers for your car...they are like 2 $ a piece and are pretty big.

5. skunky

skunky labor smoke'n lumberjack

Here is what i did cause i didn't want to order mylar and the damn nurseries around here have been out for months! WTF!!! any way i used some big pieces of cardboard like from a refrigerator box and stapled some white poaster board to it and then wrapped the white side with the emergency blankets from walmart, I wrapped them tight so there are no crease or anything just flat and just duct tapped it down on the back and hung on the walls with thumb tacs, its a ghetto setup but it worked well for the last grow.

6. Mr. Wakenbake

Mr. Wakenbake Latae Sententiae Excommunication

The emergency blankets are see through and you get light loss to it being that it's only about 70 % reflective..

The mylar car shades, the silvered ones with no designs ..they are the cheapest they offer, and are 98%reflective ....otherwise go with flat white paint

7. carly22

carly22 Developed Alternating Nodes

skunky, long time no see man! how u doin? hey maybe u can check out my garden and tell me what u think

8. bubblegump

bubblegump Latae Sententiae Excommunication

9. krondikebar

krondikebar In A Cloud Of Kush Smoke

black white poly aka panda plastic works well.

10. skunky

skunky labor smoke'n lumberjack

Yea mikey is very right about them being see through if you fold them out all the way and turn on the light its like looking through some of those solar eclipse glasses, i should have mentioned i left them two layers thick, the only reason i did this is because i didn't really have the time to prep and paint and i don't own the house so i would have to fix that and mylar was being a pain in the ass to get i thought about the window reflectors but i didn't know they were so cheap at the dolar store, anywho i just did this method cause in total it cost me $6-8 to do my entire grow space, it is the most effective but it is a hell of a lot better than those beige walls! :p

Carly looks like you finally really got everything going looks pretty good so far just keep it going i want to see your first harvest fo sho!