Feds To Grant Exclusive Cannabinoid License To Pharma Firm

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Tony Aroma, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski Ruminating

I wasn't trying to put you down or anything. Just saying that the ability to spot test for cannabis intoxication, like they can and do for alcohol, would remove a big objection to legalization. People seem to think it can be treated the exact same way as alcohol, but it can't be until some easy, reliable, cheap way of testing in the field is developed.

You think they are gonna draw blood and test it in the field for possible cannabis impairment? One, drawing blood is a lot more invasive and I don't think many people would really consent to it. I certainly wouldn't let a cop take my blood. Second, if the technology exists and they aren't using it now, why would they use it if cannabis became less dangerous in society's eyes?

As far as the "drug recognition experts", lol. I can't even begin to take that seriously.

2. friendlyfarmer

friendlyfarmer Rollin' Coal

And another one

Looks like the US government has licensed some of its patents for cannabis to another (UK) company as early as April, 2011. http://www.growmedical420.com/1902/gw-pharm-gets-us-patent/

I also think it's interesting that the US company is based in NY, a non-MMJ state.

To Stash's point, I have several state police clients who have told me over the last few years they all went through new special training to be able to detect a driver under the influence of drugs (not only cannabis). One fellow was telling me with obvious pride about how they look for telltale signs in behavior/attitude/thought process, etc. I thought that was rather amusing inasmuch as I was stoned when he was telling me this, but didn't want to burst his bubble :roffl:

The point of the training is so that the police can testify more credibly, and it works to support probable cause. In my area, that evidence alone would probably not be enough to support a conviction, but once they have probable cause and they search......

3. LionLoves420

LionLoves420 Lazy Days In The Sun

Yah, I with Hank of the testing. There is NO way a court would let cops take blood from you in the field unless they are rolling around with a nurse or PA, and we know they aint happening.

4. ShadowWarrior

ShadowWarrior In The Spirit Realm

No problem.

There are good points to both sides here, and as far as INTEGRITY goes I agree with you about intoxication recognition experts. The courts may trust them, but that aint a Hell of an endorsement, is it?

I mean, considering the judges jacking off and using cock-pumps DURING a court procession.. why should we trust their judgement on rather or not someone is ASSUMED to be presently other-than-sober?

There could be a finger-prick tool such as those used for testing blood sugar. I don't know how much blood is needed to check cannabis levels, but it's an idea. Of course it would HAVE to be thrown away after each use... I can see a surge in HIV+ cases and lawsuits coming of that one.

5. friendlyfarmer

The only way to reliably test for cannabis in the field would be for the cop to lick your ass. He/she could taste it. Reliable as hell, but the PBA threatened to sue, and as far as I know, it's off the table.

:coolbounce:

6. Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski Ruminating

Maybe we could round up some volunteers to help further the cause of MJ legalization?

7. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

There's a certain lady cop in my town I'd submit to being tested by.

8. Tony Aroma

Tony Aroma Let's Go - Two Smokes!

Not necessarily. Right now, Marinol is a Schedule 3 controlled substance and marijuana is Schedule 1. I don't think it would be inconceivable that a pharmaceutical company gets a license from the DEA to grow marijuana for the purpose of making pills or spray or whatever. The plant would be illegal without a DEA license, as it is now, but the end product would not be.

As far as the laws not being that harsh, right now cocaine and amphetamine are Schedule 2 and carry even stiffer penalties than marijuana.

9. Tony Aroma

Tony Aroma Let's Go - Two Smokes!

This clarifies the situation a bit:

More in the full story here.

10. ResinRubber

I don't buy it for a minute.

11. Stash2.0

Stash2.0 Harvested Fat Sticky Bud

Seriously...I can't be the only person who knows this..they take you to the hospital to draw blood....they have even put standards out...and laugh at DRE but research them...I hear radio spots telling us that stoned driving is drunk driving telling us about how they catch you....

12. friendlyfarmer

Me either. Did you see the pictures of those dudes? From the looks of them I wouldn't expect they'd be able to pronounce hepatic encephalopathy.

Who the fuck knows. It will be interesting to watch what happens.

13. nofx1069

nofx1069 STONEY BOLOGNA

theyd test your eyes fer dilation and the time for eyes to respond to light and can tell ya if ur on uppers downers laughers er screamers

14. ShadowWarrior

neither can I:wtf?:

15. LionLoves420

LionLoves420 Lazy Days In The Sun

I know testing standards well. They tried to bullshit the stoners they were going to test us all till you told them what the rules were. Dumb asses.

Anywho, I was saying I doubt a field blood test would every be allowed by the courts, not a blood test at the general hospital.

16. ResinRubber

Just posted a rant in a PM to Ronin and thought it would fit in here. Pretty much sums up my take on the entire Patent/KannaLife Sciences thing.

17. ShadowWarrior

'Why didn't the Feds simply grant Patent use to the UCa medical school system for research?'

Lack of profit.

18. friendlyfarmer

Nice rant RR. You're right.