Need some expert input(again!) on lighting

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by hygrade, Dec 23, 2007.

1. hygrade

hygrade _________________________

i've been shopping around and i think i decided on a lighting setup,but i need to get some feedback.i've decided that i will get a 400w hps,was going to get the 600w,but with the reeferigerator,i think it would be overkill,i have 4 sq.ft to flower in.some of you told me before that i can cool with a cool tube,.i have a 50 cfm fan for exhausting the cabinet now,i plan on getting 2-6 inch 230 cfm whisper fans for the intake and exhaust of the cool tube only.they look like computer fans and will probably end up inside of the duct work.does that seem like it will cool me down sufficiently?if yes then,would i be better off with the 600w?i've read it puts out like 80% more light than does the 400w.i'll be getting 100w per sq.ft with the 400w and that seems like plenty to me,since i need 50w per sq.so the 6oow seems like pushing it,begging for an oven.i could speculate all day,so i need some expertise here guys,thanks

2. HeadCase

HeadCase Old Prick

In a refrigerator I'd go with the 400 w hps & your need to cool it.

3. SoloFlyer1

SoloFlyer1 Keep Smyelin

I'd never qualify myself as an 'expert' ANYTHING....but...

I'll tell ya from direct experience that a single 6" in-duct fan cools my 400W HPS 58,000 lumen to the point I can lay my hand on the hood comfortably and even touch the glass. It reads about 75-80 F 16" away directly underneath. You'll have no problem keeping temps down as long as you vent the cab itself too.

I vote that 600W is way overkill for the space you plan to use.

100 W per Sq Ft is more than enough; not sure the difference even MORE light is gonna make.

*Edit*

Just occurred to me to mention to make damn sure the hood is gonna FIT in there if indeed you're in a fridge (sized space). Just a thought...

Lo stress and happy growin!

:eek:ccasion1:

Happy Xmas!

4. hygrade

hygrade _________________________

yeah,the cool tube i'm looking at is about 19 inches long,giving me about 5 inches to bend around and duct out the back.i really don't have 16" inches to spare in height though.but ,but i'm hoping that a 230cfm pulling air in and a 230cfm pulling air out is going to keep it cool enough to get within a few inches of the top of the canopy.like i said,i have a 50 cfm for exhaust right now.that will stay in place and work independently of the cool tube. and will run through a scrubber,which it is already.it keeps my temps at about 78f to 80f with 6 cfl's in there right now.i just have no experience with hids,though i know they get hot.thanks solo and bud,i appreciate the help.