Dont YOu

Discussion in 'Politics' started by dominicanpa, Dec 23, 2005.

1. dominicanpa

dominicanpa Veggy Stage

Dont you think the U.S.A knows whos selling drugs? i think they do how could they not find drugs on airplanes and all thet other stuff.. they let u get big so when u get to big they catch u and make a profit off of everything u sold... its all a businesss to them...

2. Administrator

Administrator Administrator

ummmm...I think the Gov SELLS the drugs myself.

3. Bong O Matic

Bong O Matic A Fat Sticky Bud

Think we could go to the white house and score a lid off of bush?Nah....he only has coke...

4. neobud

neobud Begun Flowering

Quote: from Bong O Matic on 8:00 pm on Dec. 22, 2005
    Think we could go to the white house and score a lid off of bush?Nah....he only has coke...

I used the term lid to a 22 year old I know and he was bewildered LOL. I explained to him what it meant and he told me look man we don't deal like that anymore man. The smallest is an 1/8. I said what about a nickel or a dime he said WHAT? I told what that was and he laughed at me. He asked when the last time I bought was I told him several years ago and he said I can tell LOL! The lil fucker made me feel old. SO I burnt one to make me feel better LOL!

5. geheim

geheim Excommunicated

isnt a lid 3/4 of a oz

6. Clarence Weedman

Clarence Weedman Latae Sententiae Excommunication

crime iz a business. aint anybody told u?

7. Bong O Matic

Bong O Matic A Fat Sticky Bud

What is a Lid

By now you have probably figured out where the word 'lid' originated as used by us older stoners and those in the 1st half of this century. The origination of the term "lid" is more misunderstood by stoners from the 1960s era and thereafter. As you might guess, the Prince Albert "lid" permanently attached to the can holds a much, much smaller amount of bulk than does the entire can. It is difficult to determine how both the words "can" and "lid" could denote the same bulk of approximately 1 ounce of Marijuana, but at least by the 1960s, they did. A "lid" originally (prior to the 60s) was a much smaller measurement of weed, which was the bulk amount of pot heaped up onto the open lid of our Prince Albert can. Somebody who wanted a smaller amount than a can, bought a "lid" of grass. This amount is more comparable to what the younger generation of smokers call an 'eighth', for 1/8th of an ounce. Thus it is opined by this author that when our metal can lost its popularity and gave way to the more lightweight sandwich bag, the well established Prince Albert terms, can and lid, became confused in usage.

These terms can and lid were carried over to both describe the 1 oz. quantity of a sandwich bag. This misnomer of a lid being an ounce happened either through lost knowledge, in the switch over from Prince Albert to the sandwich bag, or just careless use. Perhaps prior to the change from the can to the bag, a slang developed in the smoker's culture merging can and lid. Joe Herd claimed it was due to ignorance on the part of the sandwich bag generation who had never used the Prince Albert can. He was very specific that his generation never confused or used can and lid interchangeably. For reference he offered that a lid was equivalent to a small matchbox bulk measure, and that no confusion could occur. He said that a lid during his lifetime was equal to a matchbox and those terms were used interchangeably. However during the 1950s and thereafter the words can and lid were both used to mean 1 oz. of weed, or cannabis if you prefer. Nobody ever questioned where these terms for an ounce came from, but it was used as the vernacular by the smokers and dealers in the '60s. You older smokers and dealers know what I'm talking about as the words can and lid were all we used when scoring or selling an ounce of pot. We didn't wonder why the "Beatniks" of the 50s and early 60s, and later the Hippies, called ounces cans and lids. I never bought any weed in a Prince Albert can back in those days as every ounce came in a wax paper sandwich bag or double bag. I didn't want to sound stupid asking why the terms can or lid were used when I was actually getting a bag. Everybody just knew what the subject was when a can or lid was mentioned. For example if you had 16 cans you had a pound of weed divided into 16 ounces.

The gist of this paragraph is....a lid of marijuana for the old stoners of 1900 was comparable to an eighth of pot,but most kids today consider a lid of marijuana to be an ounce.Thanks to the mis translation back in the 60's.Damn heroin addicted hippies......eh no offense to anyone here or Jerry Garcia.

8. Hairy Hemphill

Hairy Hemphill Veggy Stage

I heard that while the term "can" referred to a Prince Albert can, "lid" referred to a shoebox lid.

When I started smoking/buying weed back oin '67, a "lid" was accepted as being an ounce by most people, although, since it was all sold in baggie's, a secondary, much more inaccurate measure--"fingers" was sometimes used by people.

Hold the baggie up and place your hand sideways next to the bag. How many fingers high the pot in the bag was became the measurement.

9. Administrator

Administrator Administrator

Damn good thing we invented 'scales' since then. :smoke2:

10. Dazechain

Dazechain Cured Fat Sticky Bud

Concurred...:baked:DC

11. geheim

geheim Excommunicated

Thank you Bong, thats a great weight off me mind.