Digital ballasts

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by stickyicky24, Jan 11, 2010.

1. stickyicky24

stickyicky24 Cured Fat Sticky Bud

Pickin up a new one and I'm stuck on what to get. I rocked a digital greenhouse last round but have since gotten rid of those due to my new limited space. I was set on Lumatek until I did numerous reading and found MAD people who have had issues. Then I was gonna go Galaxy until I read up on these Nextgen. Anyone else see these?? Super small, run really cool, ignite every type of bulb (alleged) and the model I was gonna get runs both 400 and 600's. Cant beat it with a stick right???? What you guys think??

2. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

digital

Sticky I tried a 600 digital cheapy off ebay 239 bucks counting shipping. It has no brand name on it says made in china and that is it. So far works like a champ. Runs cool as hell I am impressed. Could not afford the lumitec. This was for a ballast, cooltube, both hps and mh bulbs timer and hangers. Now I want to change my two magnetic 1000's to digital the heat saving thing would be great!

Teamster6

3. RkyMtnWayHigh69

RkyMtnWayHigh69 2010 NAGC Winner

Do you have a link or anything? I'm interested to find out more. ;)

I've been in the market for some new lights myself, so I'll be watching this thread very closely. :bigok:

4. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

http://cgi.ebay.com/600-WATT-600W-HPS-DIGITAL-GROW-LIGHT-AIR-COOL-TUBE-HOOD_W0QQitemZ180452962266QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2a03d5afda dont know if this will come up or not but looks like this one is 230 complete. This one is 20 bucks shipping. go thrue his adds some are free ship others are not.
    Cheers

Teamster6

5. RkyMtnWayHigh69

Right on, I was just gettin ready to search, but thought I'd look here first. :roll:

Teamster, your awesome man!!! But, please no more pics of your ballsack! That shit almost fucking killed me, dude! I still have to put Visine in my eyes to ease the burning. Not to mention the churning in my stomach thats caused me to lose 4 lbs in the last 2 days. I laid in bed, shivering with fear all day yesterday . . . Well, maybe it wasn't all that dramatic . . . but it wasn't fuckin pretty!:rofl6:

6. stickyicky24

Teamster....I had no issues with the digital greenhouse, which is pretty much a cheapy, but since I'm getting a permanent cab setup I don't want to mess around. I'm willing to spend if it means peace of mind, and the last thing I want is a bulb poppin or ballast melting in the middle of the grow. I know alot of people who have used Lumatek with no complaints, but they seem hit or miss. i guess these Nextgen are suppose to be the shit and was just curious if anyone has used one.

7. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

thanks rockymoutainhwy yea that cheap ballast seems to be ok in my book so far. Super quick start. cool running. Cant beat that price for everything but time will tell if they are worth the money.

Teamster6

8. RkyMtnWayHigh69

Wow, thats a great deal, IMO . . . This is the same one you've used? How long have you had it?

I really like the looks of this . . . I almost spent 2x+ that amount on a light just a week ago, but I held off to research more.

9. CCrete

CCrete Mr. Poopyfacepeepeehead

Whats the "heat" issues you guys are having with ballasts? I know they get warm a little bit but.....I run 2-400's and 4-600's of ALL Hydrofarm magnetic ballasts and I see very very little heat from them as a whole........please explain

Also, another thing I see is that you link for that light, the light isn't UL listed, which basicaly means your local crackhead could have wired it together.......just an observation, i recently traded out my HTGsupply *brand* lights for hydrofarm that are UL listed, if your house goes up in a fireball, your NOT covered with a NON UL listing......Ya I know its a grow light but you could have been growing peppers and beans, just a thought

Im not knocking anything Teamster, trust that, just pointing it out

10. HeadCase

HeadCase Old Prick

11. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

Well chris in my case I am in a basement room. Doorway is passive intake. Three lights running 2 1000w hydrofarm magnetic and the one 600w magnetic ballast. Three large fans running two at the doorway and one in the back. The heat produced by the magnetic ballast is really noticable in this enclosed room. From the 1250cfm fan to the ceiling out is enclosed in insulation. I bet if the 1000w mago ballasts were digital I would probably drop 10 degrees in room temp mine run pretty hot in this room as the heat seems to collect at the ceiling line.

Teamster6

12. HeadCase

HeadCase Old Prick

I've run the same 400w hps magnetic ballast for 5 years no noise no heat you can but your hand on it all day-Bud

13. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

14. HeadCase

HeadCase Old Prick

I was checking out the 400-600 that would be cool to have for small cabinets .I here what your saying about the 1000w.-Bud

15. CCrete

CCrete Mr. Poopyfacepeepeehead

See, im in the same boat kinda......basement room, block walls, single door, floor drain.....ah.... thats it......The room right now is 68 in the air and I made separate rooms tho that are enviorment controlled and exhausted to the roof, so i dunno maybe its cause i have a sep. rooms that are controlled, shit I had to open the one heat grate this morning it was so cold in there ,nothing is above 71, but it is 20 outside

16. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

That Nextgen looks pretty cool. Would match some of you younguns Xbox consoles. Price is pretty good too....to bad I'm a cheap bastard.

Don't know what trouble you guys have with ballasts. I've had/have...lets see.... 12 or more from 150w to 1000w over the years. Every one magnetic, most home built, 4 of cheap manufacture and one decent old HydroFarm. Never ever ever had one go out.

Teamster- Just the guy I need...I'm pulling a couple old 1000 watters and an old 400 out of the garage to use. Are you running your set and accessories on a 20 amp circuit? I could do the math myself but am feeling to lazy

cheers....let us know how that Nextgen works out.

17. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

Rez i was lucky as my shop was wired for two 220v kiln plugs in additional to all the 110 plugs.
    One of the 1000w lights is running on 110v with the exhaust fan and light mover. The other 1000 and 600 both run on separate 220v circuits by theirselfs. Made this light setup pretty easy.

Cheers

Teamster6

18. stickyicky24

Well I guess I'll be the guinea pig then and give these things a go. On paper it seems like the best option. And as far as ballasts go......I too have yet to have a problem with 3 ballasts. But since I need to run a 400 digi for my cab to work out, I figure I would read up on them. I have seen countless people who had issues with Lumateks and I can't afford for a slip up as I go out of town for 2-3 days a couple times a month.