Need Strain Recommedations

Discussion in 'Strains and Crosses' started by TennStoner, Jan 25, 2010.

1. TennStoner

TennStoner Established Healthy Roots

Hi GKers, I'm a fairly new grower, two grows from bagseed under my belt - with varied results. The first grow I got decent weed, but got ripped off after harvest because my son showed some of his "friends" the grow room. The second grow went OK, but I fucked up the nutes and stunted the plants pretty bad. I used MG for both grows.

I have inherited a 1000w switchable balast, two new bulbs (one of each) and my po-dunk city finalally has a hydro shop so I'm going for good nutes and grow medium. I'm leaning towards soil, because I'm a bit low on funds for a hydro set up and am more comfortable with soil.

My main grow space is 52"x52"x 8' high. I have a ventible hood, and will try to rig up a cooler tube. I have a veg/mom cab that is 12"x36"x48 inches tall with 12 100w equiv CFL's. The room is ventalated and heated with a space heater, but no AC as of now. Not a problem for a few months, but there will be heat issues down the line.

So, personally I like a good up high, but like a little stone factor as well. I do plan to sell some of this to cover costs, so I want a commercially good choice as well. I'm also looking for good taste and smooth smoke and am partial to shunky smelling weed.

To sum up;

- decent sized, well lit grow area
    - up high with some stone
    - salable
    - nice smoke flavor - skunk and hash flavors are my fav.

There has been a virtual explosion of strains and seed dealers pop up since my last grow, so I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the choices and hoped the GKer's could throw some advice my way. Thanks!

2. TennStoner

BTW, I accidentally posted twice - tried to delete the other, but couldn't figure out how, if an admin could take care of that, that would be terrific!

3. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

Sannies

Dr. chronic

the attitude

Teamster6:anibong:

4. insaneface

insaneface Begun Flowering

:-welcome-: you should try Nirvanas Ice a lot of people here have grown it and produce some fat buds.:thumbs-up: also for growing it you should look up hempy buckets... Its like growing in soil with hydro nutes..... thats what i am using at the moment.... im sure other people will chime in as well.... good luck with your next grow!! If you do the hempy look to use this formula http://www.growkind.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35174

TennStoner likes this.
  5. mt.king

mt.king mud drags champion

L.A. Confidential

short stalky fast grower 6 week flower tight dense buds and it pack a hammer blow of a high & smells like a strong indica:thumbs-up::potleaf-2::potleaf-2::potleaf-2::potleaf-2::potleaf-2::potleaf-2::potleaf-2::potleaf-2:

TennStoner likes this.
  6. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

Just my opinion, but if you're low on funds, do what I did and grow using Hempy buckets. Very easy to do. I recommend General Hydroponics Flora Nova nutrients since they are very simple 1 part grow and 1 part bloom. Flora Nova also works for soil. You'll get more buckets out of a big bag of perlite than a bag of soil and the perlite is reusable after each grow. Buckets are cheap and if you have a drill that's all you need for your grow medium.

Here is my DJ Short's Blueberry in a 5v gal. Hempy bucket.

[​IMG]

As for strains I would recommend looking at Mr. Nice. I have Super Silver Haze from Mr. Nice and I love it! Very easy to grow in soil or hydro. Good yields and some of the frostiest buds out there. Mr. Nice also has some great G13XSkunk that is supposed to be easy to grow and a quick flowering time. There are lots of great strains out there, just try and look at the breeder's notes and choose something that is recommended for beginners. I love DJ Short's and would definitely recommend the Blueberry as a strain that would work out for a beginner. I am by no means an expert grower and so I speak from experience as a novice grower. SSH and Blueberry have done quite well for me. No problems with nutrient sensitivities. In fact the SSH is a nutrient hog and does well under heavy nutrient dosing. The Blueberry is just a touch more sensitive. Good luck on your grow.

TennStoner likes this.
  7. TennStoner

Many thanks for the recomendations! I'm off to check them out.

I visited a Hydro store yesterday - didn't even know it was in my town and it's been here 3 years! Anyway, I was looking at the DWC systems they have going, and it looks pretty simple and inexpensive. I did some figuring, and I reckon it really won't cost me much more than buying good dirt, plus I'll a good resource for questions. Hydro just seemed complicated, but the DWC he showed me was super simple. Now I'm torn between Hempy and DWC. I think I will def go hydro for sure now.

Thanks all!

8. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

Just my recommendation, but i would try hempy first. It's seriously the most simple form of hydro and great for beginners. Of course the hydro shop guy wants to sell you a complete system, and if you have extra cash to support local small business, then great, but hempy will give results comparable to a DWC system.

9. smoker69

smoker69 Excommunicated

welcome

:-welcome-: :potleaf-2: :-welcome-: :nanner-2: :nanner-2: :dog-nana: :alien11:

10. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

great but not quite right production would be like
    1. nft

2. dwc

3. ebb and flo

4. hempy

Welcome Tennstoner....................:potleaf-2: :potleaf-2: :potleaf-2: :potleaf-2:

Teamster6

11. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

In this instance I used comparable, meaning that it could be in the same general ballpark or range as far as yields. I did not mean that hempy is better or would produce more. It's just my opinion that for a beginner who has never done hydro before if they want the benefits of hydro growth rates and yields then hempy is a sure fire idiot proof easy way to get your foot in the door and get some practical hydro grow experience before upgrading to a bigger better system with pumps, reservoirs, air stones, timers etc.

12. rollin2techno

rollin2techno cL053t Gr0w3r

Your son knows of your grow room? And he showed his friends?

That's a great receipe for some jail time. I hope you got that shit in check for real before you start up another crop.

Anyways, for seeds try Nirvana, Mr. Nice, DJ Shorts.

Good luck.

13. mt.king

flood & drain

7$ for a tote and fill your flower pots with hydroton or lava rocks and a flood tray is cheap and even cheaper to make other than the res pump & timer i think i could make one from stuff laying around most homes in the modern world

and res temps are way easier to control

14. mt.king

i had to run my 21 year old of cause he didnt get it . i guess he thinks since medical card makes i ok from the local popo its ok for the world to check out..

i snatched him up by the neck i front of all his bros & they all left and he ran to mommy.. too bad i wish it could be different .you'd think growing up in a biker family he'd be more street wise

15. TennStoner

Oh yeah, it's in check! I layed low for a long time after that, but have since done another (botched :) ) grow since then. Well I say botched, but I'm still smoking from that and it gets my high enough, just not the best tasting shit.

I have upped my security, and he's and most of his friends have gone off to college, so no worries.

I'm leaning towards Hempy now. I thinking I want a good white strain, like Ice, WW, SuperSilverHaze, and maybe a purple strain like skunk/haze.

I'm also interested in something that will help my arthritus and insomnia. I appreciate all the feedback y'all!

16. TennStoner

OK wow, I've been doing a lot of research into strains and seed banks, based on your recommendations and and the info on GK. I think I'm more confused than before, LMAO. It seems like I go to one site to check out seeds, and it redirects me to another, and the prices are all over the map.

Is it possible to get two different strains for between $50-$75? If so, does anyone know where to buy and who to trust? I know I'm being a PITA newb, but I don't want to spend big bucks on the latest and greatest strains, when I have a decent chance of fucking up the grow. :)

Now when I get a good grow or two under my belt...

17. mt.king

first time out

my first grow i had 4 strains and the LA Confidetial was the best i have since learned to feed them all to get the bes ou of them & the LA had close node tight dense buds closely spaced with thick stalks all without lst or pruning just top once & pow its also a big feeder once it get a good root structure so you shouldint have a problem with over feeding just prune the big shading fan leaves afew weeks before the end of flower not all of thyem just the ones that shade the other buds it will help with production

18. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman