MY or NOT

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by redubb, May 18, 2010.

1. redubb

redubb growing bush

Just getting started I have a seperat building for my garden do I line it with mylair I do not care about smell I just want to know what it is used for:-welcome-: :thumbs-up:

2. ditch

ditch Developed Alternating Nodes

Mylar is used for reflecting light back onto your plants. Weather mylar should be used depends on your grow room specifically....what sorta size are we talking? Another alternative to mylar that is cheaper and easier to work with is Panda film. It's black on one side and white on the other. Doesn't work quite as well as Mylar but still a very good reflective surface.

Hope that helps.

3. ncmaineac

ncmaineac Harvested Fat Sticky Bud

hey redubb

just a couple of words of advice...since this was your first thread. if you go to the beginners lounge and look at the top there is lots of info there...take some time to read what you can...that should take a good bit of time and should answer lots of your questions....and make it so you will have more questions at the same time...

then after you take the time to read...then come back and ask some good intelligent questions...please dont come back and say "can you tell me what i need to grow mj"....or anything like that...

so i hope this helps...in the long run it will make you a better grower as we cant do it for you...you have to do it and that includes making mistakes and or course reading...and did i mention reading...

good luck amigo:-welcome-: :beerchug-2: :passsit: :passsit:

4. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Mylar, Panda film or flat white paint. I use the white paint or white vinyl shower curtains. Both are very cheap yet effective. Now read read read.

cheers,

5. Green Goblin

Green Goblin Cannabis Connoisseur

Welcome to growkind!

May the ganja gods smile from within you!

I prefer the reinforced mylar, but panda plastic is cheaper, easier to get and easier to deal with.

Happy Growin' :pimp:

6. redubb

redubb growing bush

room size

My room is 12x12 with a 4x2 closet:flyy: :F-A-Q:

7. Cannagirl

Cannagirl Preheat to 420

Flat white paint is so much easier. I just hate mylar after all these years. It dirties up easily and I have just had bad luck with it, it never stays where I want it. I'd go for paint, IME the mylar never made a noticable difference over white paint other than it being a pain in my ass.

IME white paint reflects cooler than mylar. Lower temps = better grows as long as it's not TOO low. Difference in reflectivity is negligible @ best.

8. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

I'm with you Canna, freakin mylar is a PITA. I'm a lazy old bastard and that crap always seems to get in the way. Rips where you staple it, dirties up, has static cling when trying to lay it flat. Used it once then tore it all down.

9. Green Goblin

Bahhh

Did you paint the mona lisa the first time u picked up a paintbrush?

Did E=MC^2 suddenly make sense when u added 2+2?

Did you swim olympic speeds the second your momma took off your floaties?

Did you win the indy 500 the day after you got ur drivers license?

Its all in the application. Done the right way its easy and quick, done the wrong way its time consuming, frustrating and never turns out right...much like floating drywall mud, or concrete, or mowing the lawn or doing laundry. There's the right way, and the wrong way. I recently did laundry the wrong way...it was painfull. Changed some tires the wrong way....that was more painful and time consuming than id care to admit...not my tires not my problem I says...but yeah, milar can be a blessing if all other factors are considered and care is taken in its proper application.

Personally I use 100% latex caulking, a masons trowel, and 2 15" paint rollers.

I squeeze the caulking on the wall evenly spaced 12" squares. Then I use the masons trowel to spread the caulking to the thinest teeth, and I start at the bottom and attach the two corners taught. Then I use the 2 15" roller maps to roll the sheet up the wall bit by bit. Like applying wall paper with a roller instead of a blade. Makes for a nice finish that's easy to remove.

Happy Growin' :pimp:

10. Cannagirl

Cannagirl Preheat to 420

No, the first time I really picked up a brush I painted this....but I get what ur saying.

[​IMG]

I did not go all out like you did, shoot half the things you mentioned I have never worked with (caulking) so that would involve learing how to use those things. I still say even if the mylar was perfectly layed on the wall like you do it it still gets dirty and if you don't clean it it doesn't refelct well, but with paint it doesn't matter. Also just IME I still think paint reflects cooler but maybe that was just coincidence, it's not tried and tested (I don't think). Either way, you are right, I did do it the lazy way, which isn't a good way, like RR said that stuff tears like a bitch. Also, mylar paper cuts are the worst!

11. Green Goblin

Well hey, not everyone was born with picasso blood...lol

I didn't mean to be mean I'm just beyond bored and rambling cuz I have nothing else 2 do...

U r right about the paint thing, white reflects all visible specrums of light, while remaining the lowest reflector of heat. White paint usualy reflects around 80% of light

Silver also reflects all visible spectrums of light but is right next to black on the heat reflection side. Mylar usually reflects 90% light or higher

Kinda makes ya wonder why peeps paint their roofs silver in the desert eh? Freaking morons.

If you have heat issues white paint is the way to go....this fits into the "mylar can be a blessing if all other factors are considered" idea. If you have proper lighting for the space, proper ventilation/ cooling, properly planned plant height yada yada yada...still needs cleaning and subsequent replacement too...I still like it tho

:pimp:

12. Cannagirl

Cannagirl Preheat to 420

u weren't mean at all :thumbs-up:

13. ScottyG420

ScottyG420 Marijuana Handler

mylar make me look like the fun-house mirrors. i love the shit.

14. Green Goblin

I Prefer mushrooms for those kinds of special effects :D

:pimp:

15. Dank Vapor

Dank Vapor Harvested Fat Sticky Bud

Caulking w/ a diamond tooth trowel is brilliant for mylar. If I had the walls to do that on, hell yeah, but i a nice cedar closet. Keeps the bugs out, but if I caulk the walls, the wife will kill me, lol.