broken computer with pics

Discussion in 'Smokers Lounge' started by teamster6, Dec 11, 2011.

1. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

Well my main computer just went down and it appears it is the power supply. What sucks is all my pics are on there and I dont really want to take this thing in for fear of the repairman seeing the pics. With the power supply down I cant get in to delete the pics

Usually if I need repairs I delete all the pics before taking it in. Guess this one should remind everybody to store there pics on floppys.

I dont think they could bust me for the pics but it might generate a warrant for a search to see if they could find anything.

Guess this ones a lesson and going to the garbage.

t6

2. Ognennyy

Ognennyy Begun Flowering

replace power supply

Obviously you don't feel fully comfortable with repairing your own computer, or this dilemma would not exist. In truth though, replacing your power supply is probably the most straightforward repair - in the way of repairing the innards of a computer - of all of them.

Look at the back of the computer where you plug it in, and it should list how many watts the power supply pulls. If it doesn't, pop off the side of the case and somewhere on the power supply it will be notated. Purchase a similar sized power supply.

Turn off the power switch on the current power supply, and unplug it from the power cable going to the electrical outlet in the wall. Open case (if you haven't already) and look at the cords coming from the power supply. Those cords from the power supply, inside the computer, will be plugged into various components inside your computer. Possibilities include your video card, hard drive, CD / DVD drive, etc. etc.

For EVERY device that is connected to the power supply, write the device down and take a picture. Take special notice: there are typically two size / style power cables that come out of the power supply. There should be several that all look alike (they have the same connector / plug). Then there will be one, possibly two, smaller cables with a smaller connector. These smaller ones are typically used to power a floppy drive, as a floppy requires less power. Most modern machines do not even come equipped with a floppy, but the power supplies will have these smaller cables nonetheless. If you have a floppy or some other device which has one of these smaller cables plugged into it, you may want to make special note of it to avoid future confusion.

From here you're pretty much home free. Unplug the power supply from all above-noted devices, and unscrew it to dismount it from the case. Slide the new power supply into the case, and screw it in to secure it to the case. One by one, go through and reconnect all your devices of which you made note to the power supply.

This may sound involved, but believe me once you pop the case off and look at the power supply you'll be able to figure it out in no time. If you can grow MJ, then you can replace a power supply. And spending $100 on a new power supply is better than spending $500 on a new comp all together. If you really wanna attempt this yourself but are having trouble, PM me and I'll disassemble a computer and take pictures for you to walk you through (although you can probably just as easily find a step by step with a quick google search).

3. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

Hey thanks for the great info. I may try this. I guess its either the power supply or the mother board not sure.

I figured it was the power supply because I had the computer running fine went upstairs and when I returned it was off screen black and the computer would not turn on at all. No lights sounds or anything.

I will give it a try

thanks again

t6

4. Ognennyy

Ognennyy Begun Flowering

Oh no that's not your motherboard. If a motherboard is having an issue then of course the machine won't run properly: operating system won't load, BIOS may possibly not even load. But you will hear your power supply and fans power up and hum, regardless of the condition of your mother board.

If nothing is powering up and humming, then you are correct that there is no power. Do not mistake this advice for condescension, as I give it from my own hard beats lol. 1) make sure it's plugged in. 2) make sure breaker in your panel for that outlet is not tripped. 3) check the power toggle (little black rocker switch on the power supply) and make sure it's in the on position. 4) check that the voltage selector is on 120v. If it somehow got flipped to 240, the power supply should smell like burned metal.

But if it's plugged in, the breaker is good to go, the toggle switch on the supply is in the on position, and the voltage selector is set to 120v, then yes you have a bad power supply, hands down.

GL brother, leme know if you need a hand.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2011
  5. LionLoves420

LionLoves420 Lazy Days In The Sun

OG is right. A power supply replacement is probably one of the easiest things you can do to a computer. The separate connections coming from the power supply only fit specific devices (Hard drive vs MB VS sound VS graphics), so it is pretty hard to fuck it up to be honest. If you need help at any point hit me up!

However, I would check all connections inside of the computer, as well as outside, just to eliminate any dumb problems like a burnt out power cord or loose connection somewhere inside.

6. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

thanks og and lion I replaced the power supply and whalah!! Back in business again will wonders never cease!!! Now I need to pick some kind of additional hard drive as I bought a case for one so I can backup all this shit and not have this happen again

t6

7. ducrider

ducrider growing your mamas weed

T6, you may want to check out the Seagate Free Agent portable drives.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/863730/Seagate-FreeAgent-Go-Portable-External-USB/?Channel=Google&mr:trackingCode=7E278C8D-3382-E011-AFE3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA&cm_mmc=Mercent-_-Googlepla-_-Technology+Data_Storage_Media-_-863730&mr:adType=pla

For the past few years I've been using for music storage as well as backing up both my home and office machines. So far I've not had any issues other than one the died not 30 seconds after It powered up for the first time. I have 4 of them them & use them regularly.

cheers

Duc

8. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

thanks ducrider I will check them out.

t6

9. Confused420

Confused420 Full Flowering

The thread title lied to me, i wanted to see pics of a broken computer

10. Ognennyy

Ognennyy Begun Flowering

Woohoo!