GoogleEarth

Discussion in 'Smokers Lounge' started by CanadianDAN, Aug 25, 2007.

1. CanadianDAN

CanadianDAN Summer Greenthumb

For anyone whos familiar with "Google Earth", i just thought id let ya know that there is an updated version that has a new feature called "GoogleSky" which is the same thing except, for whatever area of ground youre looking at or are on, you can look up at the stars and constallations above that area by clicking on a new button on the main screen. And then zoom way in like youre using some NASA shit.

Its pretty sweet!!! Im looking out at groups of stars and zooming in on Supernovas and nebulas and all kinds of cool shit.

For anyone who hasnt used this before, it takes 5 mins to download and is free. Heres a screenshot of an airport.

[​IMG]

Heres google sky

[​IMG]

and you can zoom way in on shit like this
    [​IMG]

AlienBait likes this.
  2. TheApprentice

TheApprentice Retired.

Sounds good,i love google EARTH and NASA whirlwind!

Hey CD,thnks for the info,iv got google earth,vids,images and a whole stack of othr things on my goole toolbar and i aint used google earth for a while but ill be checking this nifty new feature.Cheers CD:ebert:

3. hellostupid

hellostupid Stupid Iz. Stupid Duz.

Is that the Google Space thingy?

My bros told me today about this Google Space thing...it must've been Google Sky that he was talking 'bout...newayz...that'z hella kool!

:evil4:

4. CanadianDAN

yeah its pretty fucking time consuming!!!

Last night i was looking around the "orion" area, and then found the three brightest stars in the sky which are SIRIUS, BETELGUESE, and RIGEL.

They look crazy when you zoom in on em....

It sweet how there are already markers on everything so its easy to find all the cool shit.

The "CRAB NEBULA" is a pretty intresting looking one. Kinda looks like underwater sea plants or something....

[​IMG]

This stuff just boggles my mind.... Like zooming in on our sister galaxy and closest galaxy to our own, which is Andromeda, and thinking how small our planet would be amongst all thats there..

Mr Douglas likes this.
  5. Mr Douglas

Mr Douglas still stoned again still

Google Sky

Looks pretty cool, Dan, I'll have to check it out.

Our Earth seems so insignificant when you look at things on such a grand scale.

6. TheApprentice

TheApprentice Retired.

Amazing Pictures.

Earth is just like a grain of sand in the grand scheme of things i reckon....Dan,gotta link for this new feature cos my google earth on my google bar aint working for some reason?Any more cool pictures aswell,lol?Peace:smokin:

NASA have a similar program called wirlwind,its just like Google Earth except maybe better for outer space pictures:ponder:

7. CanadianDAN

Here is the page i downloaded it from.... it takes about 5 to 10 mins.

http://earth.google.com/sky/index.html#utm_campaign=en&utm_source=en-ha-na-us-ca-google&utm_medium=ha&utm_term=google%20sky

Heres a few more pictures from googlesky

[​IMG]

Hres the OrionNebula viewed from a distance

[​IMG]

And here it is zoomed in closer

[​IMG]

Here is an area called "ChaoticWinds"

[​IMG]

And here is the Star "Rigel", the third brightest star in our sky. It doesnt seem like much looking at this still picture, but when youre using the zoom and you zoom in futher and further towards it, its pretty impressive. Sirius, the brightest star in our sky looks crazy!

[​IMG]

I could sit here and browse for hours. Actually the other night i was using it for a good 3 hours. Amazing shit out there.

8. CanadianDAN

Anyone download it yet??? Im telling you, you can look up at ""EVERYTHING!"" and just get lost in it all....

For some people its just images, but for others its the thought of knowing it exists and is actually out there.

I dont know about you, but i love that shit....its a part of us. We came from the stars, we are made of them, everything is.

It bothers me how some people just cant get into talking about the sky above us, when everything you "Know" and "see" came from there. All of it.

Im the type of person that is hard to be around on Mushrooms. :tard:

9. AlienBait

AlienBait Custom User Title

I didn't download it yet because I know it would take up all my time and I would get nothing done.

I used to be really into astronomy. I studied AstroPhysics in college, so I guess I would have to be. :)

10. Mr Douglas

Mr Douglas still stoned again still

Eyez to the skyez

I downloaded it Dan, and I have to say it's pretty f***ing cool.

I always seem to be pointing back down to Earth though, after fruitlessly searching for Will & Penny Robinson. :icon_confused:

Thanks for the link! :animbong:

11. JohnH

JohnH Smoker Extraordinaire

I'm one odd person I think, but I've got a collection of Hawking's books on the universe. Love the shit, all baked we tend to argue things like that among my friends. 4/20 party at my house led to a discussion on interspace travel, matter dematerializes at the speed of light, in which man would have to turn a person or object into pure energy for interspace travel, to exceed the speed of light.

I love the stuff I'll download this now :punk:

Also, all of the machines at the office run SETI (Search for Extra Terrestrial Intellegence) for their screensaver and they run 24/7. Same with the 3 PC's at my home.

http://www.seti.org/

12. Shine Down

Shine Down plays in cabinets........

i installed it and when it loads it freezes my computer.....

i dont get it i have 2 gigs of memory....?

13. Gratitude

Gratitude Smokin' Fat Sticky Buds

I can't run SETI either...

...locks up. I used to run it about 7 years ago (the old version was more stable). I worked in a data center @ a hospital and we has stacks of old 133mhz and 166mhz pcs under a work bench that were all running SETI with no monitors or kbds attached just a network cable and power (I think there were 12 total). It was still running when I left that job and I think I was the last to know what was going on...it was alot of fun.

I am gonna grab this prog though. Thanks for the heads up CD!

14. georged5150

georged5150 Cured Fat Sticky Bud

Thanks for the info Dan. I have spent hours on hours checking this out. Make a person really wonder whats all out there.