forcing my plants to flower

Discussion in 'Advanced Cultivation' started by pokerhead28, Aug 19, 2006.

1. Dr. Dra

Dr. Dra Veggy Stage

So your saying you have no idea which are males and females? Usually during veg, they show their sex with preflowers. Preflowers aren't a definite determination but it'll give you a good idea. The males usually flower alot earlier than females. Look for white hairs coming out, those are females. Look around the site there are great pictures of what female and male preflowers look like.

2. wawona

wawona The Trichome Connoisseur

what??????

if a plant has female pre flowers it's a female. if it shows male preflowers it's a male.

also, plants usually don't show sex until you flower them. especially in plants from seed. USUALLY. there are a few exceptions.

3. Dr. Dra

Dr. Dra Veggy Stage

My plants usually always show their sex during veg outdoors and from what I have read if it has females preflowers it could stull turn out to be a male. But you have more experience than me, so you're probably are right.

4. pokerhead28

pokerhead28 Germinated

I know what the female preflowers look like, and I havent sen any, or balls. It's kinda like there in the veg stage still. Maybe they show signs of flowering soon.

5. pokerhead28

pokerhead28 Germinated

Can somebody show me how to post pics on here. I just got a new digital camera and I wanna post some pics incase you have any insight on what should I do. Also, with tropical storm ernesto coming, will it be ok to move my plants inside where they might get alittle light form the hallway, I dont have anywhere else to put them (hence th whole reason I was growing outdoors.)

6. pokerhead28

pokerhead28 Germinated

anybody there?

7. mike

mike Veggy Stage

Force Flowering

If you had some Bloom Plus on them from the start. Then I do not see why they taking so long to show there first flowers. You can also make a box frame. Out of 2by2's or 1by1's Then use some rabit wire, or silk screens, or the black screen door screens around the sides and tops. That would most likely help and would not have to worry about trashbagen it every day. My friend has 4 plants that started flowering over 2 months ago. He used the box frame trick with black silk screens covering its walls and top.

8. wawona

wawona The Trichome Connoisseur

it would be ROUTINE to take up to 2 weeks of putting the bag on and taking it off to show sex. that's no problem. you do realize that indoor and outdoor are COMPLETELY different. you will never get exactly 12 hours of darkness and ligt outdoor. that doesn't matter because as i said indoor and outdoor are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.

if a plant is showing sex outdoors then it is flowering. a plant that shows female flowers is female. It can hermie out, bit it will not "turn male"

9. pokerhead28

pokerhead28 Germinated

Sorry guys, its benn a while since my last update, but this one's a good one. I've been watching them for any signs of flowering and I noticedtwo small pistilscoming from the second biggest plant I have! It's about 4 feet tall (the biggest is only taller by inches.) One bad thing though, I think the biggest is a male:( I'm not quite sure yet, because it's still too early to tell, so Im not pulling it yet. the other small plants(about 2 feet) still arent showing signs and neiher is the last big plant I have. I noticed on one of the plants that it's lower leaves look diseased. They look like a normall leaf, except usally in the center, if the leaf is infected, it will look like theres a white stain over top of part of the leaf. I know it's not a defficancy, because on the bottom of the leaves, are tiny black spots. I know they are some kind of bugs, but I dont know what kind or how to get rid of them. I've just been using sponges to sandwhich the leaf, then pull the bottom one so it scraps off the bugs. I dont wanna cut the leaves cause they are flowering and they might be stunned and the leaves migth be curable. Does anybody know what they are or how to get rid of them. More to come. peace.

10. trillions of atoms

trillions of atoms Latae Sententiae Excommunication

sounds like spidermite, look in the faq for tons of ways to help rid them.....but it will be harder in the outdoors.....as they can come back over n over.

11. pokerhead28

pokerhead28 Germinated

Yea, I checked up on it, and they are spidermites. But it's really bad compared to their pictures. The small leaves at the bottom are almost all white. I need to get on top of the asap. Im doing the sponge thing more often till I get something for them. Would tobacco water drive them off, Iheard it works. Maybe thats why my plants to so long to show signs of flowering, because the're growth might have been stuned.

12. Mr. Wakenbake

Mr. Wakenbake Latae Sententiae Excommunication

boil two ciggarettes in a pot of water and let it sit on the stove overnight, strain out the liquid into a spray bottle and it will kill on contact, eggs and all. Don't let the liquid get on your hands as it can make you sick and it is full of nasty stuff.

After you kill them all go get some garden sulphur and keep it dusted on your plants leaves, top and bottom. This will ward off future infestations by making the leaf unsuitable for the mites to eat. Keep the bottle handy , as it also will kill gnats and other pests...and use it while warm for best results

13. chopstick

chopstick Chilled out

Discontinue spraying or dusting your plants with anything once flowering has started.

14. Mr. Wakenbake

Mr. Wakenbake Latae Sententiae Excommunication

a lot of folks don't know chop but you can use sulphur dusting all the way till the day before harvest... Nrever use it on the buds though, leaves only...!

IF you get too much sulphur in the bud you'll need to water cure and you don't want that.

15. pokerhead28

pokerhead28 Germinated

Chopsticks:so if my plant has already started to flower, then don't spray it with anything?

I was just gonna put some chewing tobbacco in water then let it sit overnight then spray the plants down. Would this work or do I need to have a cigarette and boil it down?

16. chopstick

chopstick Chilled out

Well Mikey says it's alright, what you don't want to do it spray anything on your buds. Number 1 your gonning to smoke them and anything you spray on them will end up in your lungs, number 2 if it's a liquid based spray you risk encouraging mold/bud rot.

Obviously if you have a pest infestation you want to bring it under contol, I haven't tried using cigarettes, but take others advice, no one here will suggest something they usually haven't tried themselves. If you plant is budding them keep whatever your putting on it to the leaves only.

17. TheApprentice

TheApprentice Retired.

Dont know if this is any help?

*POKERHED28* I Hope This Can Be Of Some Use To Your Dilemma:

If you want to put your plants into flowering,assuming all the right signs are there,then an ideal solution that i have experimented with with outdoors plants is to simply get some kind of large box/crate even one of those plastic fold up greenhouses and cover it with black bin liners on the outside and spray the inside with a Co2 based fire extinguisher and leave for 12 hours during the day then when you want to put your plant(s) in for 12 hrs darkness cover it up with the box or whatever you use(improvise a little),this way you will be providing the darkness and the Co2 feeds the plant aswell as acting as a deterenet to any bugs/pests that may arrive,this is a tried and tested formula i have used,dont use too much Co2 though cos it could stress the plant but if you do this before putting it into flowering you should be okay and remember when you put your plant(s) into flowering that you shouldnt water them for around two weeks and try not to prune you plant either during flowering as this causes the plant a bit of stress.The plants thrive on Co2 as you know,but try put some battery operated fan in the box aswell so there is some oxygen ventilating around,even make a few well placed little hole for oxygn intake although if there are ANY sort of bright lights nearby then dont do this as any type of unwanted light can adversly affect your harvest.Good luck.Smoke on.

18. pokerhead28

pokerhead28 Germinated

Alright I put the tobbacco water in a spray bottle yesterday and sprayed them down. I hope it will still work because it was checwing tobacco and it wasn''t boiled, but still looked like regular tobacco water. I have 2 confirmed females, and one male:( The little ones still haven't reached maturity, but Im hoping they will soon. I was checking up on spidermites, and compared to the pictures they have there, my plants have a advanced case of it. Some of the smaller leaves are almost completly white. I'm gonna go spray them again and come back with a update later on hopefully. peace.

19. Mermaid

Mermaid ~Sea Of Green~

Damn that sucks...well good luck with your girls & hope it works out for you.

Peace~JG

20. chopstick

chopstick Chilled out

Sounds like you have a bad case there, spider mites are something you have get on top of right away once you notice them, since they breed very quickly and can get out of control.

Let us know how the cigarettes work. If it's not doing the trick, don't waste any time, you might considder either getting the sulphur, or hitting a local hydro store and getting a tailor made spray, then murder the hell outa them! Once they get outa control they can suck the juice outa all your plants and ruin all your hard work.