lighting help?

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by smokeweed420, May 4, 2007.

1. smokeweed420

smokeweed420 Germinated

what kind of light is best for vegatation stage. I know flourescent but is their any specifics

2. StinkyBuds

StinkyBuds TooStonedToPost

Best light for veg is a 250w or more metal halide. If you must use flourescant get a high wattage envirolite 100w +

3. smokeweed420

smokeweed420 Germinated

thanks for the advice stinky buds

4. smokeweed420

smokeweed420 Germinated

But just wondering would you rather use a 1000 watt hps or flourescents for veg

5. StinkyBuds

StinkyBuds TooStonedToPost

no question i would use the 1k hps .

6. Gratitude

Gratitude Smokin' Fat Sticky Buds

Get a Blue spectrum for veging

If you've got a 1000w HPS that won't be flowering one batch while you are vegging another then you would do well to get a bulb with a blue spectrum, (possibly even a MH conversion bulb) as HPS bulbs are more orange and better for flowering. From what I've read, they can use twice as much light in flower as they can in veg so that's why ppl often have a smaller (and often MH) for vegging.

I just purchased a bulb for my 400w MH and found the manufacturer's sites helpful in making my decision. I got a SUNMASTER and am happy with my choice but I'd have got an Hortilux if $ wasn't a factor.

Bottom line, I've not seen HPS recommended for veg. Nor MH (like I have) recommended for flower. But you can a bulbs for both that will be more ideal.

Hope it's helpful

peace

7. jimmy the lizard

jimmy the lizard Genius beginner!

Dude If Ya Got The Money, An You Can Keep Temps Down, Metal Halide High Intensity Discharge For Veg., An High Pressure Sodium H.i.d.'s For Flowering.