Do-it-yourself hydro system

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Cultivation' started by Confused420, Aug 5, 2006.

1. Confused420

Confused420 Full Flowering

Hey i wanna build a DIY hydro system wht kind should i build. the budget is about a hundred bucks maybee i could swing a little more i want it to be kinda simple but i am a smart guy and i can build just about anything that i need to. i also want it to be kinda small cause i don'rt have alota space. Oh and any nute suggestions are good to

2. dkcloud42o

dkcloud42o New Sprout

100 bucks sounds like alot.. but after seeds cost and each little supply its really not much... Light alone will cost more than that. if you want to get any kind of yield... you'll need to go with hps for flowering.. and if you get the 150 wt you can use for both veg and flower because of the low wattage.. and 18/6 stretch... save up.. be patient... and plan ahead...

I did a bunch of posts few topics below on the subject.... some decent links...

http://www.growkind.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21208

Im sticking with the rubbermaid method.. seems to work quite well and low cost...

3. noreastgrow

noreastgrow Super Dank Headies

nigga please

Dude 100 bucks?!?! i build a 1x2 ebb and flow, and it cost me more then 100. and if i learned anything by DIY its that it's best to buy like a 3x3 ebb n flow tray w. pump 4 300 bucks, cuz DIY is sooo much harder then u think. And to grow, ur gunna want a good light. so basically its not really possible to do it all for 100. but u might be able to do a 1x1 foot ebb and flow for around that (no light or stand) cuz the ebb n flow kits costs 20, trays plan 2 spend 30, u gotta paint em black, so paint $$$$ pump is at least 30 n timers, man just grow outside. u need to spend money to get money.

Grow Big or go home.

N.E.G.

4. dkcloud42o

dkcloud42o New Sprout

5. Confused420

Confused420 Full Flowering

i have a 400watt hps light i have been growing in soil for a while but i wanna go hydro cause i hear the growth rates are so much better when i make the switch i plan on using the same light and i have the nutes already i have the GH flora series nutes (flor grow, flora bloom and flora micro) so i couold also use a mixing chart for those if anyone has one

6. greenthumbdanny

greenthumbdanny Excommunicated

if you have craftsmanship and half of a brain DIY is best in my oppinion. The money you will save can be put to better things for your grow. Making your own compared to a store bought will save you a lot of money. confussed needs to save a little more money so he can buy what he needs and not half ass his grow.

7. skunky

skunky labor smoke'n lumberjack

Deffinately have to agree i don't grow hydro and more but when i did that was the best solution and besides danny knows hydro! Shit look at some of his pics they speak for themselves!

8. GhostDog

GhostDog Begun Flowering

First of all you need to save a little more money if you want any level of success on your first run. the most important thing, your ph meter will be around 80$

9. noreastgrow

noreastgrow Super Dank Headies

yo im not dissing DIY its just if you dont know wut ur doing ur gunna be confused n do a half assed job, where as with a store bought may cost more, but realistically with a fairly decient sized grow it pays for itself. plus 100 dollars is not much. you mind as well do it right, or pay the price. for the money its not really worth the hastle. PLus building a stand for those things bites ass-believe me (ebb n flow tho). but if u use those buckets like that green thumb danny, then DIY is ideal. But if u want like areoponics, NFT, dry fog, or ebb n flow its easier to buy it. but w.e it ur money

NEG

10. bongpig

bongpig Veggy Stage

Ebb and flow would be the easiest to set up right IMO. If you can set up a soil grow you should be able to set up a ebb and flow or DWC system easilyhere's a thing i made up a while ago that shows ebb and flow.....the only thing that is wrong in the pic is that the hose from the pump should extend upwards above the line of the medium. If it was setup the way the picture is the water being pumped into the top container would disturb and possibly damage the roots.

Graphic3.jpg

/monthly_2006_08/Graphic3.jpg.a87094bf9e53c72bfba37af496c864eb.jpg

11. skunky

skunky labor smoke'n lumberjack

Dude i got a friend that runs an aero setup DIY that is 5 gallon buckets with a pump and two sprinkler heads inside and that thing seems to work bad ass, and for what it cost him to build for the results its probably one of the simplist and most effiecient setup well once you get your spray times down. he got al kinds of DIY shit like drip systems using bilge pump for boats with ac/dc converters to power them. shit the 1250 GPH pump was only $19 and the ac adapter was only like $3 so not too bad!

12. greenthumbdanny

greenthumbdanny Excommunicated

I like the buckets:D You can set them up to flood and drain (ebb&flow) just as easy instead of drip rings. DIY DIG IT..

13. high yields

high yields Veggy Stage

I am right there with you Danny. When you use the buckets you give them plenty of root space. Plenty of root space is one less thing you will have to worry about. Also DWC is so simple and easy to build, with a relatively small price tag.

14. cracdamac7

cracdamac7 Germinated

the cheapest way

what ive done is went to walmart, bought some of that expert mix which is like $14 a bag. i placed three seeds from a friends sack in some damp paper towel and placed the paper towel into a ziploc freezer bag until i saw tap roots then put them straight in the dirt. i just poured the dirt over the ground and made like a mini mound. let me tell you, i didnt add any other nutes and had a monstrous female, she was in flower and was dam near tall as my house! i remember like yesterday chopping like 2-3 feet off the top.I made only one mistake, I planted her close to the house in an attempt to try and hide her,but unbeknownst to me, the place i had her in was the area where drainage water would run off the roof of the house since i didnt have gutters. and the water would sit, giving my baby a bad case of root rot. I still got some ounces off her but would have easily had over a pound. total cost = $14.00 (i still think about that and pout like a baby) :( but if you are doing hydro there is no way you're gonna be able to do it all for under 100 dollars. sorry friend

15. Spliffz

Spliffz Guest

First time posting up here, been lurking around for a few weeks. I came across this video I think on another site. The guy is kind of weird (he's painted green) but I think its a good video as it shows step by step the setting up of a pretty good hydro system. IMO.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1084323730126516291&hl=en

16. trillions of atoms

trillions of atoms Latae Sententiae Excommunication

inside sun has a 400 watt hps for 100 bux- insidesun.com

the hydro setup- like these guys said , a couple of 20 gallon rubbermaids, one for the plant sites and one backup nute rezz, some netcups- hydroton, nutes w ph up n down and a good airpump with turbohead or airstones and your getting there- drill the holes on the top of the one rubbermaid tub, put in netcups- fill with hydroton.....fill rezzie with around a 5.8 nute solution, add airstones to rezz, add light and plants and your well on your way!

17. cracdamac7

cracdamac7 Germinated

great post!

Man i just watched that video and absolutely loved it! thanks very much for posting that, i'm gonna keep it on my harddrive for I can refer to it. it is very detail, i think that guy is a trip, he reminds me of hmmmmmmm, me!

18. Spliffz

Spliffz Guest

Glad I could help.

19. chopstick

chopstick Chilled out

That dude was trippy, watched it all the way through, nice post!

20. high yields

high yields Veggy Stage

man, If you are looking to spend as little as possible I would buy a light first. Get rockwool cubes and hand water them. That Is what I would do if I had 100 bucks. You will definetly yield more at the end of you first harvent if you do that. Slowly build up the the other aspect.