Rusty Nails For Iron Durring Flowering

Discussion in 'Smokers Lounge' started by Obnoticus, Mar 25, 2006.

1. Obnoticus

Obnoticus Veggy Stage

Has anyone heard of placing Rusty 16pn nails into the soil around the stem of the plant durring flowering, if so, could ya tell me what it does and if you would prefer to do it?

2. Useless

Useless Diogenes Reincarnate

I would guess the idea is to add iron? LOL

Well, 3 immediate problems with this idea.

1) First of all, almost all nutrients have plenty of iron. So you wouldn't get any benefits. I don't think I have ever heard of an iron deficiency alone.

2) And this is the whopper, it would take years and years for the iron to break down to the molecular level to allow the plant to absorb it.

3) Isn't rust iron oxide? Don't know how they would react to that.

3. SuperCropper

SuperCropper Supersizing our future

I would be afraid of what else is forming on the nail also. Probably a whole lot more than just rust. I would worry about toxins to the plant.

4. runzwsczrs

runzwsczrs Begun Flowering

The only other things that may form from the oxidation of the nail would be some zinc if the nail was either galvanized or zinc plated to begin with. The "rust" or iron oxide that forms is quite soluable and would provide iron ions to the soil which would be in a form that is usable to the plant. If you were to do this the nails would be more efficient if they were placed deeper into the soil say near the root system. That way the iron ions would not have to be transported throught the soil from the surface to the root system.

5. holdmeclosrtonydanza

holdmeclosrtonydanza A Fat Sticky Bud

Yeah, here ya go... I'll just go ahead debunk this now.

I know a lot about metal plating. Just trust me - not only would this not work for your intended purposes, it might actually harm your plant.

Metal plating like the plating that exists on nails and other fastners contains some very toxic shit. I have burns on my arms from working with the stuff, so just trust me on this. It's nothing I would want to feed my plant.

6. holdmeclosrtonydanza

Specifically Cad and Zinc platings.

I worked in a plant that plated the exact shit we're talking about. Seriously, don't give that shit to your plant.

7. Useless

Useless Diogenes Reincarnate

Nickle cadmium yes? I wouldn't wanna smoke that either.

8. SuperCropper

SuperCropper Supersizing our future

Doesn't nickel cadmium deteriorate bones or something? I have heard injesting it, and likely smoking it can cause some serious issues. So even if the nail made your plant grow like crazy (which it won't) the health risks aren't worth taking IMO

9. holdmeclosrtonydanza

Exactly. I wasn't thrilled working around the shit every day.

The bottom line is: You'd never get the iron into a form for the plant to use in time for your 125th birthday, much less in a few months of flowering.

What you MIGHT get into the plant are Cadmium Nickle or Zinc deposits. Cadmium Nickle isn't too cool, and the zinc is toxic. Zinc and Cadmium plating isn't just coating the nail with zinc and cad, it goes through a ton of chemical processes that allow the zinc and cad to "stick" to the metal. You DO NOT want to smoke these chemicals. Your plant doesn't want these chemicals.

Might not actually "harm" your plant, but it sure as hell doesn't do it any good.

10. Obnoticus

Obnoticus Veggy Stage

Ok , Lets just forget that I even asked the question, so have any of you played the new godfather game.......

11. Chief Smokingbud

Chief Smokingbud Hash Engineer

I'm sure you've been slashed from a nickle tank.....bad stuff. Place i worked had a large plating line (which i was no part of), we had two maintenance men die of cancer.......suspicious? yeah

12. StashDaCash

StashDaCash Latae Sententiae Excommunication

<~~~~ Metal worker...Zinc is probably the most aggravating thing i ever cut myself with ....Itchs real bad

13. holdmeclosrtonydanza

Tell me about it.

I was a water treatment plant operator for a very prominent plating company. You know the Ford commercial where they hang that F-150 from the single bolt on the bed?

Seriously, that's what we plate. Those hex studs that hold the F-150 together, plated by my people.

Working in water treatment afforded me some really great opportunities to get chemicals, though. I have a few gallons of Nitric acid for lowering ph... got a really really nice Ph meter, and some other stuff that might come in handy.

14. JohnH

JohnH Smoker Extraordinaire

First post :cool:

I'm a welder by trade, run and "stupidvise" my own welding shop. fumes off arc welding are bad enough, let alone welding on rusted metal and the fumes that come off that can be incredibly bad for your health aswell. Nothing I'd want to have even in the same room as my plants!

15. Administrator

Administrator Administrator

I hear ya guys....I got a friggin' splinter the other day! :D Course....I LOVE the smell of white pine burning in the morning. :rolleyes:

16. HappyJay

HappyJay Red Eyed Jedi

Back to the Iron.

Im with everyone that the nail are worthless, but have you ever thaught/tried giving your girls some supplement iron chelates.

Every now and then I get on little experiment type mishons and make my own ferts up using manutec solubles. Some experiments on a couple outdoor girls noted that the small amounts of the iron chelates added seem to give the plants a real healthy, tropical, so green it was like a type of aqua blue, look, (if you can picture).

Now Iron acts as a catalytic agent in the formation of chlorophyll, but is not part of the composition. It is also believed to act as an oxygen carrier in the oxydation reduction process.

(Im not to sure what that means but I guess that is why it has a part to play in the color change.)

They were quite healthy and yeilded well. Wether they yeilded better than without it I cant really say.