air cooled tubes Vs air cooled hoods

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by hydtrorookie, Jun 2, 2010.

1. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

Its 2600w skuzzy!
    I am about to do a test 1500w bulbs in 6 inch cooltubes for flower with a 1060cfm Fan sucking and see if I can cool them down.

2. CCrete

CCrete Mr. Poopyfacepeepeehead

Wow, that was a little much towards Skunky

The experience your talking about is yours solely and not the community, its YOUR room with YOUR light, YOU control how it works, not the light, hood or cooltube......you may have certain air-leaks in your setup that allow an inferior flow and/or negative backpressure...only YOU would know that answer.

My answer to all this is, BOTH suck IMO

Hoods flow good but they're giant RADIATORS, think of it this way, heat up a giant METAL box, what happenes? its get freakin HOT and stays HOT as hell, radiating that heat, times the amount of lights you have!

Cooltubes have zero reflection and you lose a ton of light IMO

Just hang em people, bare bulb, save money on a hood or tube

3. CCrete

will you PLEASE try the hang your bulbs, dont stuff that 1500w killer in a tube man

4. Boa

Boa Cured Fat Sticky Bud

what does hanggin do and is it good for small spaces like mine? i have a total of about 5 feet of growspace 3.5 from the top of the bucket to were the bottom of the hood sits.

5. CCrete

Well look at it like this......put a lamp with a SHADE in a room all by itself in the middle, turn it on, look at the way it spreads its light out, directly down and some of the light gets absorbed elseware........now take OFF the shade and notice how much light is being shown and spread???

You maximize your bulbs pontential, its penetrates deeper as well, easier to cool IMO

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. skunky

skunky labor smoke'n lumberjack

Really negative rep and you don't even try to argue your point first(which you think mine is wrong and I will tell you I think you are 100% ass backwards). I gurantee you I can figure out and tell you why the cool tube worked better for you. I promise you in my experience if you have

If that's what you want to think or what you have experienced ok. But that isn't what I've experienced whatsoever. And if you think it's a best guess scenario and act like you represent everyone around cool, whatever but dude I know what I'm talking about.

Cool tube less resistance= absolute BS. They are straight through yes, but if you are crowding the tube. you are reducing the amount of volume that can pass through the tube by displacing it will the sockets, brackets, bulbs. unless you have some magical equipment that is breathable allowing the air to just move through it as if it weren't there. The volume within the hood is greater and the way it flows is different it pulls from the interior of each hood as if it is an open space or room, the man thing that will dampen your air flow rates are the size of the ducting you use, the length of the ducting from the hoods to the fan and the amount of turns in the line. The more turns the more resistance the more resistance the less air you are capable of flowing.

a 6" cool tube@ 24" in length has a total volume of 678.24 cubic inches. And a 48" 6" cool tube only has 1356.48 cubic inches.

A standard 6" hood with the dimensions 19.5"(l) X 21"(W) X 9.5" (H) 3890.35 cubic inches. So which one of those is going to most affected by placing a light and mogul socket in the direct path of the air flow? If you seriously think the cool tube can flow more efficiently you are way wrong. The only thing I would agree with you on is generation of hot spots with a hood, though they are very very minimal and depends on the actual hood you get. Also, not like it is really that much more than the heat generated by the reflector for the cool tube. As for going from a 430 to a 600 and a cool tube fixing your problem. You must have had a small hood. I would assume you went from a small 4" hood to a 6" cool tube or something and possibly running a larger can than the inlets on your hood.

So I guess i will go ahead and give you some negative rep because how do you feel about this. The exact opposite situation as you. Had 2 1Ks spread out in a 48" 6" cool tube. Couldn't get temps below 90, removed the cool tube replaced with to hoods ran in parallel and the temps never get over 82 on a really hot day. That's with the same exact exhaust set up.

Same with another room, we went from 1-!K to 3-1Ks, Using a 8" fan to clear the room. They wanted to try cool tubes I told them not to waste there time and they did anyways. They had 2 1Ks in tubes and one in a hood. Temps were out of hand, we found two hoods for cheap. They bought them and installed them in-place of the tubes and everything was gravy.

Same thing with my 400W way back when. 4" cool tube worked but sucked compared to a 4" hood that was used to replace it. Temps went from stay around 84* to 76-78. Same setup just different hood reflector.

It would be in the communities best interest if you would try presenting and arguing your point more throughly before giving others negative feed back that know just as much if not more about growing than you.

I'll let you make a rebuttal and try to explain what your set up was and figure out why the cool tube possibly worked better than the hood. Before I give you negative feed back. I know for a fact what I've seen and experiences at multiple grow sites.

And here is a quick pic of the 3K room. The 2K room I can snag some pictures next time I stop by if you really want. The 400W room has been decommissioned for almost a year now.

Picture was taken from the middle light. Oh and that room is only producing about 5 lbs every harvest.... So I must not know how to set up grow rooms.:roffl: If you ask me 8" air cooled hood are where it's at.

[​IMG]

Oh and just FYI, a 8" air cooled hood typically has around 4725.375 cubic inches of space. You can flow tons of air through them before they start building up pressure. It 348% more volume available to flow more air through compared to a 6" x48" cool tube before pressure starts to build. 8"x24" cool tube only has a volume of 1205.76(392% less overall volume) and a 8"x48" has 2411.52(196% less overall volume) cubic inches which is till much less space. And remember a larger space means more air that can be fit in and moved out of said area before the system is overloaded and becomes pressurized.

Boa likes this.
  7. CCrete

:bfttt:

8. Boa

Boa Cured Fat Sticky Bud

:roffl:

:roffl:

9. rollin2techno

rollin2techno cL053t Gr0w3r

I have a 400w hood with a 400w CFM fan pulling through it and the hood stays very cool. The hood must be about 10" above canopy in order to capture both ends of a 4ft closet. I bought it for cheap as hell off craigslist so I have no reason to complain. Even the glass is ok to touch right underneath the bulb. Temps average about 4 degrees above room temp.

10. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

skunky I am running three six inch tubes. two 1000w and one 600w. I am switching over to 1500w galaxy ballasts. Hoods are a bitch to find that will accomodate 1500w 7 inch diameter mh bulbs. I finally got some info on hoods that will allow the large bulb.

The hps bulbs are exactly the same size as the 1000w. So to start out I am going to veg on 1000w mh bulbs and switch over to 1500w ballasts hps bulbs for the flower cycle. It will be interesting to see if the 1060cfm fan will suck the 1500 w units to keep them cool. If not I will hurry and install the hoods.

:beerchug-2:

Teamster6

11. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

No luck on the tubes ofo. You can purchase 8 inch cool tubes but you only have one inch clearance with the 7 inch diameter mh bulbs.

Cheers

Teamster6

12. skunky

1500W huh? That's going to be a monster for veg. I'm interested to see that one, been watching some of those 1500W test grows and stuff that were going on towards the beginning of the year. I'll for sure be watching you on that one. Always nice watching you grow, learn and expand.... and grow some more.:roffl: :not-worthy: :passsit:

For the 3K room we are just using 2-48" 8 bulb T5 fixtures. Those things work amazing, run cool, and aren't horrible for electricity. We were using 2 400W MHs, but got a good deal on those fixtures and decided to tried them out and we're really happy with them. Electricity costs were not really any different either way but the T5's just stay cooler and has higher output than the MH. So have you already ordered the 1500W setups yet? If not you might really take a look around online and consider a few T5 fixtures for veg. The 4' T5's we use produce 40,000 lumens per fixture and use 8 54W bulbs(432W Total). Something like that you could get away with keeping your veg room cool with a good 4" centrifugal fan.

13. CCrete

Sup Skunky? Hows the dad life/ new wife?

So your really sayin that the T5 8bulb will beat out a 400MH in VEG? or 2 400's? can you elaborate a lil bit please?

14. The Tron

The Tron ONE MAN GANG

The expierience we share is based on not only our first hand knowledge but is also a "testimony" that the cool tubes work as they were "designed" to work. We feel it is best to research first, then give a response based on proven research and first hand expierience. If you have no expierience then take a guess and say that is what you are doing.

If it is properly installed "room leaks" wont affect the way it works because it is designed to pull air from an outside source and exhaust it to an outside source, a completly separate system than the room regardless of air leaks in the setup.

You are correct, hoods are giant radiators, which is why We disagreed strongly with the other post.

You are incorrect in saying cool tubes have "zero reflection", they do have limited reflection which is an issue that can be corrected easily.

Hanging a 600 or 1000 watter bare bulb in most grow rooms is another issue altogether.

Our response was not directed "towards Skunky", we dont know him, our response was directed at his post only, not at all personal. This post is not directed towards you, just "your" post.

rollin2techno likes this.
  15. skunky

The baby isn't here yet. About a month left, and she's with the other guy I'm pretty sure. It's a messed up horrible situation. Quick run down. We got the new car, were about to move into a place together then she starts acting weird then she tells me that it might not be mine it might be the guy who she was with before me. We and her weren't really serious until about 1-2 weeks before we found out she was pregnant. We just enjoyed each others company. So it wasn't like she was really cheating on me. So not mad really about that but everything else. She said she wanted to stay with me because she didn't want anything to do with the other guy and that I was soo much better all around than him. Then a few weeks later she tells me she's still in love with him. We split. She doesn't hardly ever call, I've heard from her 4 times since January. She had been saying she didn't want either of us at the appointments because she didn't know whos' it was and that when the baby came she only wanted her mom maybe one of her sisters in the room with her. So I talk to her about a week ago and she tells me that the other guy has been going with her to the appointments. She had just got a 3D done, and she was telling me how she thinks it's mine and it looks more like it could be mine. So I ask if I can go to the next one, and she said she would have to get back to me. She said she was embarassed for me to come with her because the hospital people already know her and the other guy and doesn't want to have to explain who I am. Which is BS. Then she asked if I was cool with him being in the delivery room. Too which I responded "Are you kidding me? Could I be anymore removed from this entire situation? I haven't got to go to any appointments, you always forget to call me to let me know when they are. I thought you just wanted your mom and sister in there with you. You're going to do whatever you want to do any way. I just think it's messed up. I'm just as much a possibility as he is. It's going to be really messed up if the child is mine and I didn't get to go see any of the sonograms, and I didn't get to see my son come into this world because some other guy got to be a part of all that."

It's fucked up man. The other guy is 37, has 5 kids with 3 other girls already, is still going through a divorce, lied to her forever about even being married still. I know she wants more kids later on and that dude went and had a vasectomy without even saying a word to her. So if that's what she wants is to be with that dude that doesn't do shit for her, has a not so great job working at carmax trying to support 5 other kids, and doesn't even care enough about her to even mention her to his family so be it. That's just retarded. She sure as hell wouldn't be working right now if I were still in the picture, but he can't afford to help her and she needs the money. I even offered to help her and all she does is say she can't accept it because it would piss him off. Whatever. Like I said messed up situation.

Tron. My posts and the info I gave is based on first hand experience at multiple grow sites. No guessing. First hand trial and error, and using basic laws of physics(which air flow does follow) to make sense of the observations. There was no research and development that went into making cool tubes man. People started using bake-a-rounds, then others had the idea "Hey what if I make the same thing but bigger and in different sizes so you can use more than just a narrow 400W HPS bulb in it? I could include the reflector, it will already be assembled. People with bigger bulbs would buy them and people who are too lazy to make their own for a 400W can buy a premade one.". Not a whole lot of R&D behind a product like that. Not too much more goes into hoods, but they do spend much more time trying to make the reflectors in the hoods better to spread light out more efficiently than the next company. The only thing that makes a hood better at cooling than a tube is the fact it can handle that much more airflow, much more efficiently. You could even use different diameter straws to demonstrate this to 5 year olds. Take an air source pump air through the straws. Which straw is going to flow easier? the larger diameter. Or better yet, try breathing through a coffee straw. Not going to be near as efficient.

16. rollin2techno

God damn Skunky, that is fucked up on sooo many levels.

IMO, you should hope it's NOT yours and be done with that flake of a woman cuz if she still wants to be with that dickweed she obviously doesn't have her "priorities" in check. And fuck yeah to that poor excuse of a man getting a vasectomy...cuz he NEEDED to stop procreating.

I hope your situation gets better dude.

/hijack

17. Boa

Boa Cured Fat Sticky Bud

LOL got lost on that one skunky thought i was in a different thread lol. Sucks ur goin thru that man i dont know what id do!

As for the hoods the flowhood i got has the air traveling all around the bulb and refector inside of the hood. I can place my hand on the hood and the glass right under the bulb and leave it there and it dont burn. How is it a radiator if ur cooling it properly? I had 4" vent tubing hooked up at first and man it didnt cool really at all. I now have all 6" insulated duct work and man its workin great! IDK that just my experiences from 2 days ago to today.

18. AlienBait

AlienBait Custom User Title

I know this is off topic, but after reading Skunky's last post, I must comment.

I'm sorry to say this, but that woman is psycho. Get a DNA test to find out if the baby is yours. You must know. If the baby is not yours, then you should have nothing to do with her ever again. If the baby is yours, then you must get custody or she will completely ruin that child's life.

She will only lead to more trouble. It is time to move on. I've met quite a few women that are exactly as you have described and she is on the highway of self destruction and will bring down every one who tries to help her. You will not be able to help / save her. If things start going well for her, she will find a way to ruin it.

As for the hood vs. cooltube topic, I have never used either so I cannot comment from experience, however Skunky is correct about the airflow: You can get more air through a garden hose than you can through a straw.

19. rollin2techno

Another thing, Skunky. Do NOT go on this statement dude, please! That claim is down right rediculous! Babies while in utero hardly resemble their true self. Let alone, AFTER they are born. Within 1 year a baby features change sooo much.

Seriously. Don't get hoodwinked man. She's playing you for a fool. I know you aren't so don't let her turn you into one. Keep us posted.

/Mutha'fuckin' HIJAAAACK! :roffl:

20. skunky

Appreciate you guys concern. I'm not signing a damn thing and I'm having a paternity test done. That's a given. If the child is mine I will be there for whatever is needed and help provide a loving caring environment for him. If the child isn't mine I'm sure as hell not paying child support or something for someone else's responsibility. My lab performs STR testing for transplant patients and donors so I could always do the test myself though it wouldn't hold up in court. So I'll just have a trail of custody paternity test done once the baby arrives. I just really would have liked to be more involved if it is my child.

I'm already keeping track of everything so that way if things get worse and it's hard for me to see my son i can do something about it, and if she can't provide for the child either financially or physically I will step in and do what needs to be done. Though I will be damned if the child is mine and I am denied any of my rights.

Though regardless over everything me just being the person I am I still would like to help her out some so she doesn't have to work. Sucks she won't take it. I got just over a $10K raise and that guy is struggling. Sucks because I could help her out so she wouldn't have to work at least near as much as she is. She needs to be resting but I can't force anything. One of my buddies was telling me I'm a sucker for wanting to help her, I think I'm just compassionate. She is after-all possibly carrying my child, why wouldn't I want to help her rather than see her struggle? Even if the kid isn't mine then at least I was able to help and possibly avoid any injury to her and the child. I just wouldn't help any more after that.

Anyways, back on topic. Sorry for the thread jack.

So hoods, and tubes. Hmmm.........