Are you?..(Rant)

Discussion in 'Smokers Lounge' started by plastik, Aug 22, 2006.

1. plastik

plastik Tomato Farmer

One thing I notice on many different types of cultivation forums that really grinds my gears is (I don't know if here or not yet) that when people get technical, theres always some guy that steps in, and suggests the information they give should be taken seriously since they claimed 'I should Know, I'm a chemist/scientist/god/whatever'.

heres an example:

User 1 Says: "And extracting trichomes by the uses of gas and chemicals is a bad practice...not to mention very dangerous..."

--

User 2 Says:
    Luckily I'm a chemist. That's what I do for my 'real' job...

Isopropanol evaporates with no residue whatsoever. Completely safe as long as you keep the temperature down while doing it, and work in a water bath.

--

now user 2 is correct, BUT, why add the part where they are supposedly a chemist? what purpose does that really serve? I'll tell you why. People like to feel important, they like to feel like they have something to be proud of, even if it is something they've never accomplished. thats just whats in their psyche. the internet allows for anyone to easily say they are this or that without having to prove or back up their story, or easily back it up with lies and made up explainations. now the main reason this guy probably said that isn't because he's a real chemist in real life, it is because he wants people to listen to him, its like 'hey listen to me, I'm a chemist, So I must be right!'. Anyone can be whatever they want on the internet, all they have to do is say it, and people will believe them, in fact, sometimes that happens in the real world too. but think about the people in the real world that do that, usually they aren't good people, and use these lies to gain whatever they were aiming for in the first place. false respect, money, manipulation, whatever. I mean, does this guy REALLY expect us to take his information just because he says he is in some type of field of work? I mean, of course the guy is correct (which is information anyone could know, especially on the internet and on a cultivation forum), but stuff like this happens all too often, people trying to glorify themselves. for all we know, this guy is a redneck sitting behind a computer in a shack living on welfare. It's kind of like pulling rank, 'I'm a scientist, your a store clerk, therefore I know more and am Higher than you'. again, unspoken self glorification. usually more than often, people are regurgitating information they've found in a guide word for word, or even completely wrong and pull the 'this is my job so I am right' card. some people are just really pathetic. we can't be equals when someone says 'I am smarter than you because I have this for a job'. it is not said outright, but basically suggested. I write about this, because In the last month, across numerous forums, I have seen dozens of different users and situations where everyone seems to be a scientist! It's like only scientists smoke pot, and are supposedly the only one who seem to know everything about it. I just don't get why people have to lie to make their piece of information carry more weight, regardless of if it is right or wrong. (of which it is usually more wrong or a bit off than fully correct) just seems like whatever field of work that could possibly have relations to the information in dispute, there is always someone coming in 'hey thats my job, this is the info, I am right because this is my job'. Not everyone can be a scientist. and I've literally seen 20 different users say they are a scientist, as a kind of backup for the information they are arguing for or against.

2. Administrator

Administrator Administrator

I'm no Scientist, but I R a 'LECTRICIAN. :D

3. snickelfritz

snickelfritz Weed College Hall Monitor

I'm just another nobody that loves to grow & smoke pot. :p

How's that for self glorification? :D

4. plastik

plastik Tomato Farmer

I'm an astronaut and I grow space weed!

5. snickelfritz

Oh, yeah? My font is bigger & prettier than yours!!! :p

:D :D:D

6. jerseydude

jerseydude Banned

Well, I wouldn't normally chime in here, but since I'm an Internet post critic and analyst, I think that........................... :p

7. Mermaid

Mermaid ~Sea Of Green~

ROFLAMO!!!!!

Snick....now ya know my font is far more purdy then yours!! :p :p :D

Peace~Jersey

8. trillions of atoms

trillions of atoms Latae Sententiae Excommunication

I am god.

lol, j/k plk.

9. snickelfritz

As it should be, Jersey... Ur one of them thar females!!! [​IMG]

10. ontheisland

ontheisland Veggy Stage

You forgot to say "Amen" after that post.

so i'll say it for you...........A fucking MEN.

11. jerseydude

jerseydude Banned

You betcha she is. :p

And sexy as a mofo. ;)

12. chopstick

chopstick Chilled out

I hear ya plastik, I supose some people feel the need to lie about what they do in order to impress, as if it does, perhaps they think other members actually care what you do in real life, most of us don't, you shouldn't either bro. This is a grow site, we all come here for a laugh, to enjoy others company and most of all, to grow good buds, everything else is irrelivant.

13. Dazechain

Dazechain Cured Fat Sticky Bud

Never look'd at it that way...

...however, Plastik...

I understand yer' perspective on this issue...

For instance...take me...I come in here (GK) and throw down radically politically charged rant n' rolls(at least at one time that was my MO)....as if I was the authority on watt's right in the world...and watt's wrong...doesn't make me a scholar...or a political pundit...and especially no genius...I'd say at best an armchair philosopher...

Yer' stance is that the internet provides an avenue for wannabes to fool the masses...however...if you watch the MO of these self-appoint'd know-it-alls...you will notice a crack in their facade...and once the crack is brought to light...it ain't long after that that the foundation crumbles...

...Plastik...bit o' advice...don't take the internet so seriously...just remember my mantra post'd below...and ewe'll be fine...
    :)

DC for THC:cool:

snickelfritz likes this.
  14. snickelfritz

Words of wisdom, Daze... Words of wisdom. :D

15. Administrator

Administrator Administrator

I'm sorry...I just can't take that seriously. :p

16. plastik

plastik Tomato Farmer

lol.

I think the main problem is people take me too seriously, because they think I'm taking the internet too seriously. :)

17. Dazechain

Dazechain Cured Fat Sticky Bud

naw,...just fuggin' wit' ya'...that's all...

...Plastik...

...All in a daze work...for me that is...

...I trust yer' rant was intend'd only to open up pathways in our brainage to allow the festerin' of drama a release valve...and that at the end of daze...is all good...to go...in a paper bag...with too many calories...and not enuf excercise...

...caught my wave yet...tickle the fickle...

...DC for THC...:cool:

And yes, herbalized to the nines, this train is bound for glory...if you were wunderin'...
    :p