Hydro methods

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Cultivation' started by Gopher Love, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Gopher Love

Gopher Love Under Construction

I have read and read and read so umm please don't say read the FAQ or anything. I have read all the grow guides I can.

Right now, i'm going to grow in soil for a couple harvests and save up some money for a hydro setup.

I am wondering what method to choose though. I have been thinking about hempy because it is such a cheap method but compared to say a drip system would it be more worthwhile to spend the money to either make my own or buy a nice drip setup?

I was thinking about just buying a drip system (just to make things easy I was going to get the Waterfarm 8 plant system with controller. It's 400 bucks but it simplifies things. I don't have to spend a bunch of time setting up pumps and tubes and buckets with this and that. It's just easier.

But would a drip system really have a growth, yield, and/or potency increase to justify it over a simple hempy system?

2. brand

brand Begun Flowering

How many plants are you planning to grow? You want em big, or sea of green? How much light you gonna give em? I don't know anything about hempy, but I do know you can do dwc for 8 plants for probably 50-60 bucks though. If you are ready to step up from soil, need to go kinda cheap, I say dwc. I truly believe dwc gives significantly better yields than any type of water medium system made. Including aeroponics, drip, flood, and nft. And especially those damn foggers.

3. NeonLights

NeonLights Excommunicated

Hempy is the way to go. Compared to a drip system, which I switched from. The hempy is just as good and only costs ya a pot and some perlite. So you can get up and growing for about $10 or so, plus lights and nutes. Good luck and hope this helps.

4. Gopher Love

Well, I plan on a 600W HPS and just floros for mothers and cloning. All flowered plants will be clones unless I want to get rid of a mother or at the begining when I pick the best females i'll flower the ones I dont use as mothers. I will have roughly a 4'x4'x7' grow box but I can make it any size I want. Right now I havn't set up my new grow so it's still completely open.

Ok so i've pretty much decided my flower setup. I will use a drip system (I will make it myself) with roughly 9-12 plants (may make the grow box 5'x5' or 6'x6' or something depending on how I make the grow pots). I will use ScrOG method for them. I will have a seperate veg room with floros and 2-4 mothers in soil (so they don't grow too fast that they get like 8 feet tall.....) and take cuttings from them. I will clone into rockwool and then grow in my hydro pots with a combination of hydroton and perlite/cococair or vermaculite (not sure yet). I may also (if I build the flower room big enough) throw a few extra clones into there in hempy style just to get some more plants. Depending on how full the area is that is...

Sound good?

If anyone has and good sites for hydroponic components that would be very helpful. I have enough information on the system though.

As always, thank you for all your help GKers. Always get good answers here.

5. HappyHappyHighGuy

HappyHappyHighGuy dreamer and misfit

Home Depot has all the drip components in the underground sprinkler section, and water pumps in the waterfountain department.

6. Gopher Love

Awsome, wouldn't have even thought to look there.

Now a couple quick questions.

1. Instead of buying a bunch of little pumps for all the buckets I think i'm going to try a Waterfarm like system and do two systems of 6 pots each. I will have a resevior that feeds all of them just like the waterfarm one. Does that sound like a kinda good idea? Even half good?

2. How much flow should my drip system have on each pot? Like GPH or whatever measure and should I make it run constantly or like run every hour for like 15 min...

3. For a plant that will end up 3-4 feet tall max how big of pots should I have?

4. Should I put an airstone in the resevoirs? Or is it pointless to do that since whenever the water shuts off the roots get air...

7. HappyHappyHighGuy

HappyHappyHighGuy dreamer and misfit

The Waterfarm uses aquarium air pumps to move water from the bottom to top - no water pump needed, and if you have a system that includes a separate resevoir it uses gravity to keep the levels the same in every bucket. This sells for $300 but you could build it much cheaper.

[​IMG]

8. Gopher Love

Wait, i'm not quite sure if i'm understanding how the waterfarm system works. If you have a place that explains it better that'd be very helpful.

This is how I was thinking of making mine. Have my 6 buckets per seperate resevior and make the nute level of each bucket level with the nute level of the resevior and have pipes out of the bottom of each pot going back to the resevior. Then at the resevior I will have a pump powerful enough to put out the flower and pressure needed to feed the 6 pots with however much nutrients they need (don't know how much that is...)

I still don't really know much about how i'm going to set it up so ummm if anyone has and like DIY drip system guides I would love them. I'm looking around for them right now though...

9. mr.anonymous

mr.anonymous What to grow next is hard

Go to you tube and type in water farm hydroponics and you'll get a bunch of videos on the water farm.

10. Gopher Love

Tried youtube and all but havn't really found anything that said how the waterfarm system works... But I did find some really good videos on growing. Never really thought to look for videos on this.. haha:XXsmoker:

So can anyone just quickly explain (if you know) how the waterfarm system used air to push the water from the lower resevior up the tube and out the drip ring?

Does it just pressurize the resevior pushing the water up and out the ring?

11. you can try...

Rainbird drip systems. If you google this, you'll even see that there's a video you can watch on youtube.

www.rainbird.com.

12. HappyJay

HappyJay Red Eyed Jedi

Not sure if it will help, but if you read through this thread, you should get a good idea at how easy a drip system can be built, and expanded.

This is a thread from one of the 'gurus' I look up too as one would say, I have followed him grow marvellous buds at both OG and IC with these simple systems.

This is a rather large set up but you should get the idea and be able to make one to suit your needs.

Credit goes to a grower named So Quick, I bow down to this lad.

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=7366

Hope it breeds some creativity.

HJ

13. EvilSkuzzi

EvilSkuzzi Sweet Guy

You had to show us that thread HJ, didnt you. I feel like ive had my balls removed and force feed my own foreskin! I cant grow for shit, i used to think i was canny at it :(

[​IMG]

That is the scaryest bud ive ever seen!

14. HappyJay

HappyJay Red Eyed Jedi

I know I know,

Every time I read it and see them pics its like OOOOOhhhhhhhhhh....aaaahhhhh!!:eek:

Goes to show that it can be quite simple though! don't it.

Untill I look at my own bud like that or match Uselesses grams per watt, this beginner will hail to the gurus.

15. Useless

Useless Diogenes Reincarnate

SoQuick was a guru to bone. One of the people whose threads I subscribed to on OG. You can call him, Krusty, Reaper and a few others as people who influenced my grows. No one knows the nutes like Lucas though. I think I've read all his threads on the net multiple times.

I remember that picture from OG. Was that his AK-99 he made? I rememebr everyone loved that cross.

How about a cool krusty pic for you, lots can be said about KFB grows heh heh heh...

[​IMG]

tee hee (for the OG folks )

16. mr.anonymous

mr.anonymous What to grow next is hard

Were could we find some threads writen by lucas???

17. HappyJay

HappyJay Red Eyed Jedi

That pic brings back memmories of some late night wired eyed readiing.

Ive also noticed lately that peeps are doing alright with the Lucas formula in coco too.

18. Useless

Useless Diogenes Reincarnate

Mr. A -

http://www.cannabis-world.org/cw/forumdisplay.php?f=10

has some really good Lucas threads. There is a nutrient comparison, an ask lucas, those two are where I'd start if you really want to understand nutrients.

HJ,

Yea Lucas works good, but modified Lucas formula to 0-6-9 grow/micro/bloom works better because it compensates for the inherent P (or is it K? I can never remember) but anyway everyone is loving the 0-6-9 for coco.

Yea, OG was great just due to the incredible amount of information, pics and grows, strains everything. And the people too. Was a cool place.

Cheers