Im WINNING the BAMBOO WAR!!

Discussion in 'Smokers Lounge' started by Dixie Hicky, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Dixie Hicky

Dixie Hicky Excommunicated

My idiot neighbor planted creeping bamboo right ON our property line about five years ago. Now...it's a fuckin jungle of thirty foot tall, thick as shit DAMN-boo, creeping under the fence and onto MY property.
    So...I cut down a bunch of it on my side....now Im going to every shoot I see and using a PICK to find and rip out the roots....when Im done finding all the roots, I will pay somebody to come and dig a ditch right by the fence so I can SEE any new roots coming from his side on to MY side. Heh heh heh...once I get rid of the roots and have my ditch...Im gonna sit and watch and laugh my ass off as the Land Cancer he planted gradually destroys his land.
    I warned him when he planted it...and he said, "Oh, no problem! ya just run the lawn mower over wherever you dont want it." Yeah, right. I explained the root system would still spread and pop up new shoots but Noooooo, he wouldnt listen to me, a silly CITY gal.
    Well....I think he may be starting to realize I just may have been right, LOL.

Dixie

RkyMtnWayHigh69 likes this.
  2. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

I love bamboo. I know it can be a pain if allowed to take over but it really is nice to look at, is better than weeds and it has uses for the wood. Let one cane get really big and start making bamboo bongs! :thumbs-up: I recently planted a single cane of bamboo and it has yet to spread but i planted it wanting it to spread and take over a hill in my yard that has an erosion problem, I'm hoping the spreading roots will help stop the hill from eroding further. Good luck in your battle.

3. RkyMtnWayHigh69

RkyMtnWayHigh69 2010 NAGC Winner

I never realized bamboo was so invasive. :(

I always loved bamboo, but I don't think I'd like it taking over my yard.

Good luck. ;) :ebert:

4. mrsganjah

mrsganjah Ganja Babe

awwww..shoots it bamboo!

I saw bamboo and wanted to check out what sort of battle it was. My love for bamboo is as endless as the shoots of it grow.

They can be invasive, but creates a nice green and organic divider. A habitat for critters which may enhance the ecology of a garden.

Well, hope you gain your yard back. If I hear a way to control it I'll try to post again.

5. Naturalistic

Naturalistic Developed Alternating Nodes

Bamboo is nuts. I learned the hard way when i was a kid. Now i have some in a 40gallon concrete container. Much better.

6. Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski Ruminating

Yep, bamboo is pretty tough and grows really fast. There is tons of bamboo here of all different sizes. One of my grow sites is surrounded by a thinner variety. That thinner variety makes great poles for gardening uses, btw. I'm using it to stake up my plants. Also, it's free and natural.

I just read an article about the really big stuff getting to be a big problem nationwide here in Japan like the situation you described. It was planted all over for commercial purposes back in the day, but as all the old farmers in the countryside get older and older maintenance becomes too much work and the bamboo groves go wild like Rasganja having a bad hair day. :roffl:

Have you tried eating any of the shoots? I don't fancy them myself, but they are fairly popular here.

7. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

Why you gotta poke the BEAR with a stick? You might get mauled.

8. Dixie Hicky

Oh lordy....yes it IS gorgeous, summer and winter. Yes it will stop your erosion. But....for god's sake....dig a DSITCH a foot deep and a foot wide at the bottom of the hill where you want it to STOP...or in a few years your hill, plus whatever is beyond the hill...will be a dense forrest. I aint lying. My neighbor planted a dozen plants....and four years is all it took to get so think a child couldnt walk thru it. Man...a dog couldnt walk thru it. Maybe a cat could.

Also, consider this....once you plant it...every person who ever owns that land after you will HAVE to deal with it. That means generations of future folks will have to keep that ditch clear every Spring, summer and Fall to keep it JUST on the hill.

Man...I hope you dont end up regretting the crap outa planting it! It's beautiful...but it's Land Cancer. If you decide to do it, I suggest you buy the CLUMPING kind, not the running kind. Before you plant it...read a LOT. Google is great for bamboo info.

Dixie

9. Dixie Hicky

Im not crazy about the taste, but they are nice and crunchy.

Yes, the "taking over" part is the real danger. You can mow over the young shoots and THINK you're ok...but the root system keeps growing and those roots....whew. They're huge and strong, very hard to dig up. If my neighbor decided to clear his, after just four or five years, it would take two men with chain saws cutting it down for three or sour days, loading it into a truck to be hauled away (to where?), then using a tractor to turn up the roots, then raked and load the truck up again with the roots and haul them away. Not just ONE truckload, but MANY. Imagine after 20 years?

LOL....Im just saying...it's a MONSTER to get rid of.

Dixie

10. ShadowWarrior

ShadowWarrior In The Spirit Realm

there's a thing called "property liability damages"... in other words, he owes you(depending on local regulations) for any and all work required to remove the unwanted plants from your property, but again, this will vary depnding on your local regulations. I'd check into it, and see about having him pay to have those roots dug up, and all damaged property replaced with nice new patches of grass and/or flowers/shrubs.

For instance, when our neighbors moved in, back wen I lived in lforida, they tore up a good portion of our land, on the property line, to make way for a fence. By law, they were required to pay restitution, or damages, for said property damage. The guy who owned the company building the fence also owned a nursery and landscaping business, and offered to put up shrubs or whatever we wanted to replace the trees his nitwit minion cut down, whic were on over our property line.

I could be mistaken, but I beleive you may stand a good chance of having the odds of this working out to your favor. And just for further insurance, I'd take pictures of these sprouts on your land, dig and get photos of the spreading roots also... then if there's any further trouble or you have to pay out the ass to have them removed and barricaded, you may well be able to have a court decide it should be done at HIS expense. He was warned after-all, was he not? But again, check local regualtions at your local court-house or city hall.

beauty aside, if they're not wanted, they're not wanted.

Or you could try round-up, bleach, dyn-o-mite...:thumbs-up:

11. Dixie Hicky

Shadow Warrior!

YOU AINT WRONG!!! This guy...my stupid neighbor...actually SAID to me, "Well, the bamboo on YOU land is YOUR problem." Iwas able to find something by googling "North Carolina property law, that it is illegal to plant any "noxious" plant on or within 100 feet of a property line. But stupid ME, I didnt have sense enough to SAVE this piece of info...and now I can FIND it again. I told him it was illegal and he said, "well, I dont know about that." It was easy to find that first time...but now I cant find it anywhere. I could see a lawyer and I KNOW I would win in court. However....me and this guy have already had a major war over my dogs. Abourt five years ago, he said he'd shoot them if he saw them on his property. So....I had to go charge 800 bucks worth of fencing material and get a fence up QUICK.

My fear is, this guy is such an asshole that if I piss him off by bringing him to court, he might just throw a pound of poisoned hamburger over the fence. He's THAT kind of an asshole. He even fired a gun into the air when he said, "I'll shoot them dogs!"

We've gone from screaming threats at each other to pretending to be "good neighbors", LOL. He even gave me a handful of green onions from his garden the other day.

Living so far out in the "country" as I do, it's better to get along with your neighbors than to have an open war, Ive learned. In other words, by NOT taking him to court and dealing with the Damnboo myself, I kind of give myself leverage for the future IF, say, my dogs should escape the fence and wander onto his land, see what I mean? He OWES me to NOT shoot them. IF I take him to court, yes, he would have to dig it up BUT he would be just waiting for a chance to "get back" at me. Hurting my dogs is the way he knows would hurt me most. It sucks, but that's the way it is.

Ive tried Round Up's "Tough brush Killer". That shit is expensive. And, I swear to god, every blade of grass and every weed surrounding the bamboo shoots turned brown and died but the bamboo seemed to LOVE it. NO effect, whatsoever on the Damnboo.

Sigh. Anyway, it hardly matters now. Im almost done digginhjg up each and every root on my side. Once Im completely done, I'll dig a trench just in front of the property line and then I will be able to SEE any new root trying to creep onto my land and cut it immediately. Of course, this will be something I'll have to do every week of every spring and summer for the rest of my freaking life....

But what gives me solace (and a grim JOY!) is the realization that the work Ive had to do is NOTHING compared to what he will have to do, eventually....because sooner or later he will realize how huge a mistake he made as the Damnboo eats up HIS land. If he doesnt deal with it, his son will have to after his death....or his son's son.....LOL. What a legacy! I can imagine somebody fifty years from now saying, "Man...Id like to KILL the stupid SOB who planyed this shit...."

On the PLUS side, at least the thirty foot tall bamboo between him and me serves to make it impossible for him to see my deck....where I have six nice big MJ's growing!

Dixie

12. Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski Ruminating

I used the top one in this pic to clear out a whole bunch of the smaller stuff from one of my grow sites last weekend. It was a lot of fun.

[​IMG]

13. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

Property "Ownership" is an illusion.

It's unfortunate that your neighbor doesn't care that this is an issue for you. I always try to make sure that I'm in good standing with all my neighbors.

I don't know about the property laws, but if the guy didn't purposely plant the bamboo in your yard, and he didn't plant it with the intention of trying to cause damage, then I don't see how he should have to pay. It's not like bamboo is illegal. He probably bought it at the local nursery. If my bamboo grows across the property line where I planted it, I would be SUPER PISSED OFF if my neighbor came to me and said I'm gonna sue you because you planted bamboo in your yard and it grew into mine.

14. LionLoves420

LionLoves420 Lazy Days In The Sun

I don't believe in property ownership either, but the law sure does.

15. bobjohnsmith

bobjohnsmith Excommunicated

Wasn't propery ownership one of those things that the founding fathers felt was important? As a property owner myself I see the importance of it. However, if I didn't own any property I wouldn't believe in it either. I guess its one of those perspective things huh?

16. LionLoves420

Property ownership as in land in this case, not as in simply owning something. Two different yet connected issues.

17. bobjohnsmith

bobjohnsmith Excommunicated

In my perspective there is no distinction... but then again I'm fucking ripped on a daily basis. I belive (theres that funny word again) that I have the right to use the fruits of my labor as long as I am not harming someone elses rights as I see fit. Did Dixies neighbor have the right to plant the bamboo yes.. does he also have the responsibility to ensure his actions arn't harming someone elses property...In my eyes yes. And the fact that he is in a position to blackmail Dixie by damaging her proprty (dogs) is fuct too. So if I was Dixie I would seek grievances person to person if that doesnt work go through the court system If he Poisons the dog then burn down his house and use the freedom of expression clause as a defense (not gonna fly but I could face myself at the end of the day regardless of punishment handed down).

18. LionLoves420

That is my point straight on. I personally don't think we should have so many problems with property issues, land is land and we should each be able to use what we can. However, there are boundaries in the eyes of the law, and planting anything that close to a property line in encroaching on the rights of the adjacent property owner.

19. john.s

john.s Germinating

Hey dixie hick. If you dig a ditch and you live in the south it will hold water and make a great place for the mosquitoes to lay their eggs and then you will have to deal with tons of them. They are bad enough without a breeding ground in your back yard. Plus the roots will still spread if you dont stay on top of it. A better option would be to make a trench about 16 inches deep and 3 inches wide. Fill it with cement and make sure the top is about three inches above the ground level and you will never have to worry about it again for as long as you live there.

20. john.s

john.s Germinating

You should be able to do as you wish with your land. It is yours and you are king in my opinion. It is all about peoples insecurities and their need to control everything and everyone to make them feel better about themselves, which is something I find to be pathetic. But i also believe that your rights end where mine begin, meaning, your right to swing your arm ends at my face. Common curtisy is something people have forgotten. If you do something on your land fine, but if it spreads to mine you better put an immediate end to it.