What Size Light?

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by Hank Chinaski, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski Ruminating

Thinking about picking up a 3ft x 3ft grow tent off ebay and trying an indoor grow or two. It would also be good for getting my outdoor transplants up to a decent size before I put them out.

What size light would be good for that? There is a 400w hps/mh combo that I was looking at.

Thanks for any help.

:passsit:

2. Lvstickybud

Lvstickybud Bongmaster

Either that or a 600. they always say bigger is better if you can control the heat. Bigger buds.

3. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Got a taste for growing your own and now taking it indoors? As much as we disagree, I worry about you in Japan pulling this shit off.

4. bigbudztoo

bigbudztoo growin the good stuff

I agree. Who knows, you might want to try a full bore indoor grow sometime so the more lumens you got working in your favor the better. I have a 400, 600 and 1000 watt lights. I start the seedlings using the 400 and transfer to the others for flowering out. Higher wattage gives you better penetration into the canopy as the plants get taller.

Budz:anibong::anibong::anibong:

5. HeadCase

HeadCase Old Prick

I was pulling 1/2 lb every 2 months with a 400w hps & it's easy to cool-Bud

6. mt.king

mt.king mud drags champion

3x3 =400

It's just about borderline but I think you can pull it off with proper ventilation.

SO TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION YES THE 400 SWITHABLE WOULD BE A GOOD CHOICE :thumbs-up:

7. greenthumbwhitethumb

greenthumbwhitethumb down w the moral majority

are you looking to just veg for size, or the whole show? if it's just for vegging size, stick with CFL's. cheap, discreet, low power consumption, and they do wonders for the veg period.

if not, 400-600W HPS i think is perfect for a 3x3 tent. i have 600, and others here have either or....

GTWT

:XXhippylove:

8. mt.king

cfl vs hid

watt per lumen hids rule heat is the issue. An 8 lamp 4 foot t5 is 36'000 lumens = to a 400 35,000 mh to 55,000 hps.plus the 400 will have 3 x the penitration = brighter light farther from the lamp.Thonk of it like this all the light comes from a 2 inch arc tube vs 8 x 4 ft x12=348 inces=.0096 lumins per foot of tube vs 18,000 per ft of mh tube now use the inverse square law

9. Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski Ruminating

Not really following you there.

:angel4:

10. Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski Ruminating

I've been wrestling with it myself. The two locations I have available to set it up aren't exactly 100% secure. They are pretty close, but there are a few little things that make me uneasy.

I think I'm gonna give it a try, though. Both places are unheated, though. The winter here isn't that cold, but... I was thinking about getting a heated carpet to put in the bottom. That and the light together might keep things warm enough. Maintaining proper temps could be difficult.

You are right about having got a taste for it. Definitely. It's a very interesting hobby and I'd be lying if I said the danger wasn't part of the attraction.

11. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Not telling you what to do. Just don't want to be reading about the evil gaijin pot grower spending 20 years as an example. Good luck Hank.

12. RkyMtnWayHigh69

RkyMtnWayHigh69 2010 NAGC Winner

A 400 watter is a nice :light: for a small grow like your talking.

Tough business where you are. Much luck and best wishes.

I'd do what "makes the most sense. You know all the factors and can evaluate them rationally and make your decision based on that. Or just go all out and grow a jungle in your place.:alienwink: :affro:

13. mt.king

light intensity

Light from an intense pinpoint vs a blanket of mild soft light

The t 5 uses the same power to get softer les intense light = bushier plants less vertical growth. And the hid = taller faster growth

dont know how else to say it :thumbs-up:

14. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

Wow 5 years in the penaroo for a single joint in japan!!!!!! Also Deportation in cases!!!!! Cultivation major penalties even for one plant. I think I would stay outside and away from home.

Ha Ha wrestlers in japan useing mj for the munchies to put on weight I like that one!!!

Pretty Stiff Penalties

Teamster6

15. Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski Ruminating

Three Russians and a Japanese wrestler were kicked out for smoking pot a couple years ago, but I don't think it's all that common in sumo.

16. SteelCity Smoker

SteelCity Smoker To Be Continued

Hank Chinaski YOU'RE MY HERO!!!

Hank Chinaski likes this.
  17. Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski Ruminating

Did I mention I'm smoking nice, juicy Jack Herer buds every day these days? Veeeeeerrrryyyy fucking cool.

RkyMtnWayHigh69 likes this.
  18. PharmDoc

PharmDoc Just a NORML guy

Solid work there, HC! For what it's worth, I'm actually running a 1000w HPS in a tent that's 4'x4'x6'6". It's got a 6" Vortex fan pulling air from outside the tent through the SunSystems Yieldmaster II supreme reflector, and back out of the tent. the highest I've seen my temps get is 81 degrees. If the cool weather in Japan is a concern, I'd think that by going a little higher wattage might just have a dual benefit: better light penetration AND climate control. The other downside is that unfortunately for the 600w range, there is no direct 600w MH bulb, you have to go out and get a conversion bulb. Those tend to be a bit pricey compared to other bulbs, but then you've still utilizing the ballast to it's full potential. A different option would to get a dimmable digital ballast and run a 400w MH for veg and then switch up to 600w HPS for flower, and you've got it all set. Quite a bit to ponder, especially if all the while you have to be mindful of very still penalties if made for an MJ cultivator in the land of the rising sun.

Best of luck to you sir!

19. PharmDoc

PharmDoc Just a NORML guy

Hank, sorry for being off-point here, but WHO is that in your avatar? It kind of reminds me of a cross between Moe from The Three Stooges and Herman Munster.

20. Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski Ruminating

Charles Bukowski.

Also, thanks for the advice and kind words, PharmDoc. :flyy: