Are my seeds cooked?

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by weedwacker, Oct 2, 2007.

1. weedwacker

weedwacker Harvested Fat Sticky Bud

I read a lot of threads about putting your seeds in a WARM place to germinate. Well warm is a relative term. I placed three seeds in a paper towel and put them inside a ziploc bag. I put them on top of my hot water heater because its around 88F according to my temp gun. I had them there about three days with no change. I then read a thread here saying that warm was around 70F so I moved them to a cooler location inside a drawer in my closet. They've been germing for almost a week now and there is no signs of sprouting. My question is "Do I just need to be wait longer or did I ruin them in the 3 days on my hot water heater?" FYI they are Seedsman Early Durban.

2. Cannagirl

Cannagirl Preheat to 420

I use my water heater as well but I use two plates one upside down on top of the other with the paper towel on the inside. It works very well for me. Its possible ures got too hot if there was just a baggie in between the heater and the towel....give it some time. I have had seeds germ almost 3 weeks after I started them. Good luck! I hope they work for ya.

IMO 70 might be a little cool. I like somewhere between 73-76 or so.

3. HappyHappyHighGuy

HappyHappyHighGuy dreamer and misfit

Durban is from south Africa so they are used to the heat.

Like Canna said, 70 is too cool. I'd put them back on the water heater with a towel underneath them to cool it down a few degrees.

Also make sure there is enough moisture in the paper towel. Seeds need warm moisture to pop. I prefer just putting the seeds in a cup of water in a warm dark place. They pop in as little as 24 hours.

4. HeadCase

HeadCase Old Prick

Take some sandpaper to the seed or the striker on a match pack that might help to get some moisture in the seed to help it germinate. don't go crazy on it just a little good luck Bud.

5. ztard

ztard Germinated

i put my seeds in a moist paper towel on a plate with a bowl covering the paper towel with a room temp of about 73 and the sprouted in about 2 days. ive had 100% success with this method

6. Yeah you didn't mention anything about wetting the paper towel before putting the seeds in them..you did though right?

7. AzGrOw-N-sMoKe

AzGrOw-N-sMoKe Begun Flowering

heres my thoughts...why dont you try direct seeding..no paper towel or any other"germ"tec....peace az

8. ishmeil

ishmeil cannabis connoisseur

yea az i had a similar problem.. and when i didnt see any sprouts i said fuck it, if theyre guna grow theyre guna grow and i planted. and now i have a little foot tall white widow bush :)

9. weedwacker

Yes I did and then squeezed out the excess. Bag is sweating all over the inside.

10. AzGrOw-N-sMoKe

all i do is diecrt seeding..into soil or rockwool cubes..touching the baby sprouts is bad the oils an acids from your hands can kill it..i have a 100% sucess rate most of the time from pedigree seeds to bagseed...direct seeding for me...peace az

Jake likes this.
  11. weedwacker

Wow thanks all for the quick replies. I used the soaking in water last time and most of them were sprouting within 24 hrs or less. I guess I should have stuck with that method as it seemed to pop them fast. If not I'll just stickem in some PV mix and let mother nature do her thing.

I need to get on the fast track though. I quit cold turkey a few months back because some commercial shit I bought gave me a nasty upper respiratory infection. Within hours of smoking it my lungs started hurting. Like a dumb ass I tried it again after a few days without and boom I was hurting bad. What sucks is it didn't taste bad and I've smoked a lot worse. It took me a month with shots, decongestants, two antibiotics, etc. to finally get cleared up. I vowed never again to put my lungs at risk buying unknown crap. Oh well imagine the buzz I'll have after 4 months off!:eek:ccasion18: :new_silly: :baked:

12. HappyHappyHighGuy

Yea you don't have to worry about anything drying out when you use a cup of water.

Remember if your lungs don't like maryjane then you can always vaporize or ingest.

13. Jake

Jake A Fat Sticky Bud

:punk: :punk: :punk: :punk: :punk: :punk: :punk: :punk:

AzGrow, another man after my own heart. Plain and simple and great results. When will people stop making things more difficult than they have to be?

14. AzGrOw-N-sMoKe

thats what i say..people are giving out science experments to germ seeds...no thanks direct seeding for me...peace az

15. weedwacker

I bought some Rapid Rooters today from the local Hshop because so many people are recommending them in numerous threads. The overnight soaking is done so they are going into these tonight. Next question, do I keep these in the dark until they sprout or do I go for vegging lights immediately?

16. HappyHappyHighGuy

Keep them in a dark warm place until they sprout, then put them under light.

17. weedwacker

I had 4 Early Durbans(Seedsman) in a wet paper towel/ziploc bag for a week and nothing happened so I started this thread. I soaked 3 Skunk Haze (Seedsman) seeds overnight and did the same to the Durbans. I put them all in Rapid Rooters. The next day just for grins I added one more Skunk Haze directly to another RR without germing. Which do you think sprouted first? That's right the direct seed (Skunk Haze) came up first today and stands about 1" tall and has a root all the way out the bottom. The only other seed that popped up today was another SH and has just barely cleared the top of the RR. I know this could just be a coincidence, but I thought you'd get a kick out of hearing about it. A full day less time in the Rapid Rooter with no germing and it's way ahead of all the rest of my seeds.

HHHG I took your advice and kept them in the dark and warm. Worked great so far.

18. HappyHappyHighGuy

Every strain is different. Some pop in 1 day, some take several days. The same is true for sprouting.

19. allsmilez

allsmilez snow bunny

Seeds....

Well, it's worked that way for millions of years..lol...way before paper towels and baggies...:laughing5: I prefer direct seeding myself. ALOT less hassle.:5headache:

20. Cannagirl

Cannagirl Preheat to 420

Direct seeding is great if you have a lot to work with. I prefer the paper towel method because I work with just a couple seeds at once. That way I can help em along. If you are just starting say, under 5 seeds, then i'd say you should help them along with a hands on germ method. If you have a bunch then direct seeding is fine because chances are you will end up with a good amount coming up successfully.