First go at growing a random seed.. questions...

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by coolal, Mar 14, 2006.

1. coolal

coolal Germinated

Hey guys. Just had an extra couple seeds lying around and i popped them into a plastic 4x4in planter that had catnip from petco. the catnip looked simular so i just let it chill on window in the sun.

I forgot about it for a day or so sometime, the dirst would dry up, some plants would pop up, some would die, and this hardy one lasted for about the last 3 months. It's got a 3 inch 2mm thick stem, hasn't grown much past that, but recently has been leafing alot more on top. then this popped up in the past week. got some purple color and more leafing in the center.

I know it's the example of how not to grow pot, but i just like watching this grow slowly. For reff the width is about 1.25" and the main portion of leafing is about .75" wide.

[​IMG]

Any thoughts on what's going on? Anyone need any other angles? I like taking pics of this plant, and i can get pretty detailed with my new camera i'm messing around with :D

2. TimmyTrees

TimmyTrees Begun Flowering

Though extremely small, it looks as though your plant is flowering. The main cola , if you can call it that (no offense) is budding (the purple stuff), and the fan leaves look like they are covered in trichromes.

My bet is you can probably get a bowl pack off what you got there, maybe more depending on how long you let it go. Hopefully others will throw in their 2 cents on this...

3. coolal

coolal Germinated

halarious... no offense taken at all... i'm a real admirer of marijuana and i've been around all my friend's beautiful bud, i know this is a joke (possibly a compliment), but for now i can let it grow as long as i want. i'm in no rush.

It's sitting towards the outside edge of the pot... anything i should do to improve the situation a tad? I'm just getting a kick out of watching the process and the crystals and such are beautiful to photograph, unlike most plants.

4. StashDaCash

StashDaCash Latae Sententiae Excommunication

BONSAI COLA !!!! LOL thats an awesome little plant ya got there .... keep it going i wanna see how it turns out

5. coolal

coolal Germinated

haha okay, i'm just gonna let it grow. Any idea how long? took 3 months to get to this, haha, maybe another 2-3?

bonsai is a good call...

6. Mr Douglas

Mr Douglas still stoned again still

Didn't I see this in a Corona commercial? :confused:

7. Sickness

Sickness Veggy Stage

3 months for that? what kind of lighting do you have? and I doubt that being 3 months....

8. coolal

coolal Germinated

I have south and west, west los angeles sun, planted in mid january and it grew so slowly, i was curious more with how slowly it was growing than anything else. Probably lack of nutri, lack of consistant watering, and who knows what. The catnip around it sure did grow fast.

I've been watching it for the past 3 months, just sitting on my window. Basically 12/12 daylight and night time.

9. Wild Bill

Wild Bill A Fat Sticky Bud

I'm with sickness.

10. coolal

coolal Germinated

i dunno what to say... obviously a case study in how not to grow... severly stunted... i just was curious about the purple in particular... i never knew about coloring in the initial growing phases.

11. Wild Bill

phosphorous or supercalifagilisticexpialidotious.

12. coolal

coolal Germinated

ahh okay, thanks. don't know how i would have introduced that... just water from the tap.

13. Wild Bill

Just kidding.

14. coolal

coolal Germinated

all good, just toking up and enjoyed a good joke :). So yea... the general view is disbelief that this plant is indeed 3 months old? Well i guess only time will tell... any views on transplanting it somewhere? Could i trust it to stay dwarfed?

Big gardening household so tons of areas to plan and tons and tons of different fertalizers. What am i looking for?

I'd like to keep the plant dwarfed but want to give it a good spot to grow.

15. Wild Bill

Don't know what to think of that one. If it stays that small you might get a bowl for your efforts.

16. coolal

coolal Germinated

ha a bowl for my efforts... so my time is finite? now that it's "flowering" i can replant it and hope it just grows bigger? Once the flowering stage is missed is that it?

17. jdizzle1337

jdizzle1337 Developed Alternating Nodes

Hard to watch

...... looks like a waste of some potent ass indica strain, she woulda been crusty with trichromes if she had a good home.....you bastard :mad:

FYI Indicas the "more genetically advanced" side of the marijuana family tree, has many members with natural "purpling" and "blueing" characteristics. With the purple being right dead center of the main cola i doubt its potassium deficency. :p

18. TimmyTrees

TimmyTrees Begun Flowering

Coolal:

If it has been on a 12/12 cycle since planting (which would make sense being January in SoCal) you basically forced it into flowering from sprouting. Though I've never seen/heard of this before, it makes sense to me that the plant would go through all the normal phases, just on a much smaller scale.

Take a magnifying glass and look closely at the trichromes. If they are still clear, I would let the plant go another few weeks. However if they are amber colored, I would imagine that you are close to getting as much bud from the plant as possible, and it may be time to "harvest". Haha, I'm not trying to rag on the plant, I think it's actually really interesting to see...

The FAQ has more info regarding Trichromes as well, you might want to check it out...

19. Sickness

Sickness Veggy Stage

What size pot is it in? Whats the diminsions? Is it in direct sun light all the time?

Give it some nutes, transplant it if it's in a small pot, it may have become root bound and just never cared and stunted growth..

20. coolal

coolal Germinated

okay guys. so i relocated the plant to a pot outside in the garden. The previous planter was a 3inx3in plastic planter that you get most plants in, just chilled in there.

i'm gonna raid the garden shed and get some bone meal and osmocote and tuck it in around the rootball.

I took the original planter, mixed in some fertilizer and bone meal with potting soil and popped in two more seeds that i had lying around... this will be cared for a little better, they are gonna have outdoor sun on the roof. I'm gonna see if i can get these up to around 6-12in and just stunt them and then let them grow with the natural 12/12.

[​IMG]