Mechanic inquire within PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Smokers Lounge' started by nuggnester, Sep 4, 2009.

1. nuggnester

nuggnester Pot & Poker Enthusiast

Let me tell you a story about my 2000 Nissan Pathfinder, and maybe we can solve this MYSTERIOUS overheating issue that has ALL of my mechanics stumped...I really appreciate anyone who takes the time... bought her used....she had 120K on her...she was in good condition...I bought her with a click, fixed the click, about $1,400...worked good as new for a few months...then one day I was running her pretty hard on the interstate ( had sat in a parking lot for maybe 30 minutes viewing a map with AC unit on...hot day, maybe 82 F). I started back on my way to my city via interstate...I was not paying attention to the temperature guage as I had had NO previous problems with her...all the sudden I see a SMALL amount of steam/smoke coming from the front/left side of the engine...about the opposite of the battery (trying to give a visual)...I stopped IMMEDIATELY and saw that a little coolant was leaking a multiple pl;aces...(where the smoke came from, and around where the AC unit was..not sure if that was coolant..and one more spot, cannot remember...maybe dea center?)anyways, I got it towed to my local MEchanic...HERE is where the fun starts!!!
    -No leaks in the hoses/radiator
    -Pressurized it all the way up to 20 LBS and it held...should hold 17, right?
    -They revved the engine to no avail...fans were running properly, and we could not get it to overheat...
    -we replaced the thermostat...
    Then on the way home (maybe a 2 minutes into the drive...it started to heat up again...i stopped it and got it towed right back to the shop where it sat overnight to be observed for leaks/anything else. They then put a NEW thermostat in it, and bent up the metal ends because my mechanic thought water might be getting trapped in there, and the ends would not open...THIS of course, did not fix myproblem...If i go uphill the car gets hot, fast...otherwise I can drive maybe 20 miles anytime (as long as the temp is ALL the way down at the start of the trip) before it overheats...and is does it ALL THE SUDDEN..so sudden that I can be glancing at the temp guage all the time during the trip yet i might miss it before it gets almost in the red temp zone...THIS IS THE MOST FRUSTRATING ASPECT OF OWNING A CAR...

So basically I am at the mercy of you all...this is literally my last option before i just either sell it(probably for much less than what I bought it for, which does not make sense),or start replacing stuff and PRAYING!

The radiator has been flushed...says it has good flow...everything looks FINE...it has to be something crazy/freakish/unlikely.

I do not think it is the radiator,although I know they get clogged at this time in the pathfinder's life...wouldn't the mechanic know if it was clogged though?

PLEASE HELP THIS IS MY BABY!

2. ozzman667

ozzman667 New Sprout

definately NOT amechanic bro....but ive owned lots of shitty cars,how about the water pump?although when mine went out it made alot of noise,so you would probably know,its a 2000 so its probably all computerized,could be a sensor or something like that.best of luck man...i hate car problems...almost as much as i hate car payments

3. HeadCase

HeadCase Old Prick

Could be the water pump or blown head gasket-Bud

4. skunky

skunky labor smoke'n lumberjack

Word! Could be.

Radiator cap is good? If it doesn't hold the proper pressure it will overheat. I'm sure they just checked the radiator by pressurizing the system looking for leaks but didn't check the cap. That could be a cheap fix right there if it was over looked.

Is the pathfinder automatic? If so you might check into seeing if it is routed through the cooling system. I've seen dying trannies do that.(damn now that's a statement :rofl: ) But seriously if your transmission is going out it can cause over heating problems too.Though the transmission may not even necessarily be bad, may just need a bigger oil cooler.

But I would check the cap first off. If the cap isn't the problem and you can let the car idle without it overheating but overheats after driving it I would assume the transmission is causing it and look into getting a bigger oil cooler.

Other small thing you can do is clean the engine bay. Dirt caked on a motor acts as an insulator and can cause unnecessary heat build. Also, I'm sure they checked your fluid level, though you may want to double check because low levels will cause over heating.

That's why I work on my own cars instead of paying someone. You never know if they are even doing it right. I've met some mechanics that were straight dumbasses. I've been working on cars though since I can remember so it ain't no thing but a chicken wing.

5. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Quick somebody call the GLBT hotline....we got an overheated tranny going into steamy mode.

Methinks it's time for a new mechanic. Another thought. Since you are in the 150k range might your radiator have been blocked by debris or clogged with crud? Flushing doesn't always fix this.

Sounds exactly like a bad head gasket except that it's holding pressure.

6. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

Go to a Radiator Shop and have it rodded out and make sure all the rows are flowing. It may be partially blocked. I had similar problems with my 2000 Nissan Xterra. I had the beginnings of blown head gaskets. also happened around 150k I recommend do not drive it until you sort it out or you will blow the head gaskets. Anyways I had a problem with the Heater Core had a pinhole leak and was rusting and causing all kinds of problems! Once I replaced the Heater Core and Flushed my cooling system I had no more problems. Aside from the blown head gaskets I had to fix! Seriously check the Heater Core. Nissan's are touchy when it comes to overheating. They will not tolerate high temps for too long. If you catch it now you can avoid all the headaches and money it will take to fix it once the head gaskets blow.

Good Luck.

7. TheCarpenter

TheCarpenter member

Any blockages in the heater core?

8. JuggaloKing420

JuggaloKing420 Just clownin around

I had a saturn do that shit to me once...I took it to the shop and the guy couldn't figure it out..I took it to a transmission guy and he told me that the computer in the car was starting to glitch and wasn't kicking on the radiator...Got the computer replaced and it worked fine...I've never heard of it happening before. Hope it helps..Peace

9. Gratitude

Gratitude Smokin' Fat Sticky Buds

No knowledge on that topic from me.

I would imagine that you could find a more appropriate web forum to post you problem on. Not discouraging you from posting here...but you've got kind of a lot at stake...I bet there's a Nissan forum...or Car Talk?

Just a suggestion...I'd try the cap though:thumbsup:

Best of luck.

Grat

P.S. no offense to knowledgeable GKers when I suggest a car forum...just seems like better chances.

10. nuggnester

Thanks for the replies

These replies are consistant with the nussan pathfinder forum I posted on...these, of course, are a LITTLE less specific :thumbsup: Yeah there are about 5 culprits on my list for this issue...Thanks a lot for the replies. Happy 4:20

11. Max Rockatansky

Max Rockatansky Hurricane wrestler.......

Check you catalytic converter....Might be clogged....

MAD MAX

12. mt.king

mt.king mud drags champion

ovreheated

several things come to mind but its imposible to diognose it without the thing in front of me but i can give you a few things to look at ...

1. radiator cap

2.pluged catylitic converter (exaust)

3.transmision overheating

4.timeings retarted

5.vacume leak or lean fuel mixture

6 water pump or water pasage restriction

we gearheads dont like to diss on other mechanics but....:icon_scratch:

i would replace the thermostat again because your so called mechanic is obviosly not qualifide to tie his shoes if he modified it instead of finding the problem if you had that many miles and it never did it before im sure that the old or new one is not the problem.then replace the $10 radiator cap if not new for insurance but i am geting the feeling by your description its the exaust first or the transmision if automatic

i am 40 and my father the ASE certified mecanic started me out on honda cars at 14

now 28 years later im still curently an ASE certified auto technition

:bong2: :passit: :fly: i just wish i had a few pointers on hydro been a dirt guy for oganic pourposes with my food for ever been indoor for 10 months

good luck and find a new auto tech

13. Psycho D

Psycho D LEE VAN SPLEEF

Did the smoke/steam smell like coolant? = busted head

I too would change the radiator cap. They sell some cheesy shit at autozone.

If that don't fix it....well make friends with the Nismo repairman.

I have one here if you can give me the diagnostic codes....

That said, My beat up ole Ford is about to make a trip to New Jersey, 1300 miles. With 300,000 on it. Knock on wood. :smokin:

14. mt.king

coolant leaks

if the cap is bad = leak

if the thing gets hot it gonna puke coolant out anyway i mean it could be a head gasket but it would most likely show whenthe guy pressure tested the cooling system

:bong2: :passit: :fly:

15. nuggnester

GK never fails

You guys are great. Thank you so much for the replies.

'

How would I go about figuring out if the transmission is bad? It is an automatic?

16. godzilla

godzilla rage against the machine

might be the temp sensor.

17. mt.king

trans shop id still check for a plugged exaust

18. ScottyG420

ScottyG420 Marijuana Handler

cars

Omfg...that's some brutal fucking thruth right there. That's right, go ahead and embrace the horror.

This has hAppened to me before ande it felt pretty similar to getting kicked in the balls.

I can't remember if I had coolant in my oil or oil in my coolant, or both.

But I knew if I was lucky it would "only" be the headgasket. But no such luck. I had me a cracked head.

It was a brutal lesson. But somehow I feel it was necessary that I learen the things the hard way.

Ill say this: this prolly the most wewll-rounded skillfuland multi-talented congregation of stoners I've eer seen.

It seems like some of yall really know a lot of stuff abouty a lot of stuff.

19. lukesmommy

lukesmommy "lil doobie"

Hey Nugg,

The BF is a mechanic, but he's already left for wk. Sorry i didn't see your thread sooner, as i was moving. I'll have him read this as soon as he checks in, and he may be able to give you a more definitive answer.

Peace

-LM