Mylar, where to buy

Discussion in 'DIY' started by fixer, Oct 12, 2010.

1. fixer

fixer fixer

I'm a new grower, and am near harvesting my first crop, and have recently started clones. I want to make the most of my light, and needed to find out if I need to go to a garden center to get mylar, or if (and I've checked to no avail online at the following places) Wal Mart, Lowes, Home Depot might carry it?

I've found it online at places I would have to order from, but would rather not have to go that route. Also, I saw rolls that were "1 mil & 2 mil" in thickness, and am curious if the 2 mil is going to be what I want, or do they make it even thicker, and would that even be more preferable? It's a small area I'm using, but figured I should cover it all, unless one of you kind, wise, growers tell me otherwise.

Thanks in advance

2. greenthumbwhitethumb

greenthumbwhitethumb down w the moral majority

mylar doesn't have to be your only option. i recently saw a grow thread from a very talented & very well-respected grower. he had on is walls shiny silver "snowflake" wrapping paper and the car window thingys. it still reflects light, and easier and cheaper. just a thought.....

GTWT

:XXhippylove:

3. fixer

fixer fixer

Makes Sense

Much appreciated. I sometimes need to open my mind a bit, and realize even though "the book" (any resource) says one thing, it doesn't mean a little improvising won't get you the same results. I need to keep that thought in mind. Thanks again. + on the rep, for the wake up call.

4. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Try Panda Film. It's a poly sheet that is white on one side and black on the other. You can order it online from a ton of places for around $30 for 25'x10' or $80 for 100'x10'. If that doesn't rock your boat.....I use white vinyl shower curtains. Cheap, can get-em anywhere and strong.

Mylar is a bitch to work with and keep clean. It wrinkles easily, tears and then those tears tend to run. Baaaah! poly/vinyl or flat white paint for me.

5. Dixie Hicky

Dixie Hicky Excommunicated

I doubt you'll find it at Lowes or Home Depot, but you will find it an any hydro store or go to google and type in "mylar" or "Hydroponics supplies". Every hydro place has it. I got mine in a roll four feet wide. Very handy stuff.

Dixie

6. AverageJoe

AverageJoe papa oom mow mow

Depending on where you live, in a lot of areas now, regular gardening centers have started carrying basic indoor growing supplies. I can go to almost any nursery/garden center in town and they will have mylar.

Not familiar with your set up, but Home Depot carries this 1" thick foam that's covered with a thick mylar. Costs about $10. for a 4x8 sheet. I used it on one wall in my room. Very easy to work with and retains it's shape.

[​IMG]

7. fixer

fixer fixer

Found a good cheap route

In the section with gift wrap and birthday cards at Dollar General, I came across bags of "Tissue" which is shiny and reflective (it's quite possibly mylar, it looks and feels like a thin version of a helium (mylar) balloon. It's used to stick in a gift bag to pretty it up. It cost $1 for 4 20"x20" sheets. I'm going to be able to do top bottom and both sides for under $5. It's looking great so far.

8. bncooldude13

bncooldude13 I supply your drug dealer

I say u need growing stuff?

Go to your local garden or hydro store.

9. nuggnester

nuggnester Pot & Poker Enthusiast

mylar

is the best money can buy. imo it is NOT that expensive...sure compared to other stuff like paints or wrapping paper it is...but for 30 bucs you can cover a LOT of square footage...off the top of my head maybe....240 square feet...

sure it doesnt compare to paints and cheap stuff like that. But if you want the best refletivity possible with no questions asked...just get some mylar :thumbs-up:

if you do buy it get the 2 Mil thick stuff, not the 1 mil...the 1 mil is a waste of time...tears easily...harder to deal with...etc.

just playing devils advocate here...

i guarantee the reflectivity of wrapping paper is less than 75%...

10. Chiefblood

Chiefblood Veggy Stage

From my experience...

Hello there, heres my thoughts...

1. Wanna go as cheap as possible? Go to Walmart and buy the cheap thermal blankets they sell in the sporting goods/ camping section for $2, I think they are 4'X8'.

--if you have the extra money Id spend it on #2

2. Spend a little more? Go to Home Depot and find out where they keep the garage door insulation, it comes in a roll, ranges from $10-$25, its an insulated mylar type material, great for insulating the grow room too...

3. If you have access to a local hydroponics retail store, check them out, they should offer a high priced option.

4. Im too high to think of anything else...:bong-2:

11. gizmo_barks

gizmo_barks Harvested Fat Sticky Bud

It's funny how things change with supply and demand.:roffl:

peace.

G_B

12. NOTthatTIGER

NOTthatTIGER Developed Alternating Nodes

tin foil iz 4 kidz

panda film man, panda film. :passsit: