epsom salt

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by Jamiesalex, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Jamiesalex

Jamiesalex Veggy Stage

Okay I've heard a couple times that you can use epsom salt as a fert. When do and how do you apply it? What is it mainly used for? Very interested!!!

2. Hooligan

Hooligan Germinated

whatsup...well i'm by no means a pro at this...but i used epsom salts during my current outdoor grow....note i said used! I switched to Cal-Mag+......epsom salts is basicly what it says...SALT! too much will cause a nute lockout and you will be in big trouble...there is a lot of salts in most ferts that peeps use ( ESP FOX FARM )......OK...if you decide to use epsom salts then make sure you apply like this.....i would start at a 1/4 of the recommended strength...to prepare it, make sure you CRUSH THE CRYSTALS...use a mortar and pestle if u have that.... or 2 spoons pressed together will work..point is, make it powdery NOT CRYSTALLY....then i would also suggest that you put the powder into very hot water to dissolve it COMPLETELY...just make sure you dont use too much, i did and thats why i switched to CAL-MAG+...i failed to crush the crystals...i failed to dissolve the crystals in hot water....and i used full strength, as per the bag it came in...i have outdoor potted plants (great genetics--some haze cross) and the epsom put a hurtin on my babys...im sure i lost a few bud sites...the new growth was coming out DEAD!! do a search for threads posted by me and you find it...i wont use it again though....it very inexpensive, like they say u get what u pay for....$1.99 or something like that at wallmart for about 5 lb bag of it lol...enough for 100000000000000 plants ! !! research cal-mag...laterzz

ps** I dont think Epsom isnt considered a fert...its more of an additive..there is no N-P-K for it anywayz

3. SMARMY

SMARMY Cuban Bee

It is used as a supplement not a complete fertilzer because many ferts especially hydro ones lack enough mg. I would use it at1/4 -1/2 tsp ger gallon of water. It can be used as a foliar spray as well. I used epsom for a lomg time , but i just switched to calmax. which provides ca and mg.It works great not to mention its a lot easier to use than epsom salts which has to fully dissolve in the water to work. PEACE

4. wontstopthefunk

wontstopthefunk Germinated

what is a good fert for the flowering stage?

5. Hooligan

Hooligan Germinated

what does that have to do with epsom salt? do a search man

6. skunky

skunky labor smoke'n lumberjack

epsom salt is hydrated Magnesium sulfate or Magnesium sulfate heptahydrate (MgSO4 * 7H2o). If you add like a TSP to a gallon of water and it will up your Mg content and lower the waters pH a little. Just becarefully cause like hooligan pointed out it is a salt so it can cause lock out if you use too much i wouldn't use it in every watering i ussualy only due so either if i have a Mg def or sometimes when i feed i add a little to the nute solution.

7. bubblegump

bubblegump Latae Sententiae Excommunication

8. Jamiesalex

Jamiesalex Veggy Stage

Thank you so much every one. I never heard of cal-max but i think i will do some research in it. Again thanks!!!