Miss Bill Yet?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by rangerdanger, Feb 24, 2003.

1. rangerdanger

rangerdanger ***Rest in Peace***

Governors, Hurting Financially, Ask Washington for Assistance
    By ROBERT PEAR

ASHINGTON, Feb. 22 — Leaders of the National Governors Association, experiencing fiscal problems unmatched since World War II, cried out today for help from the federal government as they opened their winter meeting here.

Gov. Paul E. Patton of Kentucky, a Democrat who is chairman of the association, said that even after making cuts in many programs, states still faced a $30 billion gap between their revenues and their spending commitments this year. Governors, he said, anticipate a shortfall of $82 billion in the coming fiscal year, which starts in July for most states.

Since most states are forbidden to run deficits, Mr. Patton said, they have begun to cut services, and some have raised taxes, even as President Bush tries to stimulate a sluggish economy by cutting federal taxes.

"When states stop spending and increase taxes," Mr. Patton said, "it goes directly counter to the administration's effort to stimulate the economy by increasing spending and cutting taxes."

Explosive growth in health costs are a major reason for the states' fiscal problems. Mr. Bush recently asked Congress to revamp Medicaid, to give states more freedom to limit costs, benefits and eligibility for some recipients.

Gov. Dirk Kempthorne of Idaho, a Republican who is vice chairman of the association, said, "I am encouraged by the administration's proposal to reform Medicaid and give states more flexibility." Mr. Kempthorne said federal officials had invited governors to "help design the reforms," suggesting that the administration would not insist on all the details it set forth in the last three weeks.

Mr. Kempthorne advocated two changes that would give states more fiscal relief than anything proposed by Mr. Bush. Medicaid is financed jointly by the federal government and the states, so, for example, if Idaho cuts state Medicaid spending by $1, the federal Treasury saves about $2.

Governor Kempthorne said that if states find ways to save money in Medicaid, they should be allowed to keep the federal money that would otherwise have been spent on their Medicaid recipients.

In addition, Mr. Kempthorne and other governors said the federal government should, through Medicare, assume the entire cost of providing health care to low-income elderly people on Medicaid. More than six million people are eligible for both programs.

Governors said their fiscal problems had forced them to freeze or cut many programs, including spending for schools, colleges and prisons.

Governor Patton said he had prematurely released 900 felons from state prisons, reduced services for some Medicaid beneficiaries and cut the state budget for elementary, secondary and higher education.

2. Sylent Skull

Sylent Skull Cured Fat Sticky Bud

I cant figure out if your trying to bash Bush or bash Bill?

3. rangerdanger

Just a news piece from the L.A. Times re: the state of the economy under bush II, Skully.

Look at the way things were when Bill was in charge: a robust economy, no trade deficit, no threats of war, and the WTC still stood.

Now the economy is in shambles. The highest trade deficit in history, the highest nat'l debt (war costs $), the highest number of brankrupcies in U.S. history, and our gov't telling us to stockpile food/supplies and to cover our houses with plastic sheeting and duct tape.

I im with a nice lady from the south. She's a conservative (but with BIG tits) and she's been told that the current state of the economy is Bill's fault.

During bush I's admin. when the economy was in the crapper: Bill's fault, 8 years of surplus'es under Bill--credit goes to bush I, now that the economys in the crapper again--Bill's fault.

I wish Bill was still in charge.

4. agrowguy

agrowguy Excommunicated

so do i

5. THCdude

THCdude Cured Fat Sticky Bud

I would much rather have a pres that enjoys a blow job rather than one that regards it as sodomy. Sorry SS, but a fundamentalist is far more dangerous than a horndog, he (Bush II) actually believes in armageddon. I just hope that he doesn't see himself as god's weapon. Some of the quotes coming from this guy are scary to say the least.

(Edited by THCdude at 10:20 am on Feb. 24, 2003)

6. northlite

northlite Blazed and Confused

Saddam's fuckin' crazy....you've gotta fight fire with fire

7. rangerdanger

Northie:

Water. You fight fire with water.

Fighting it with fire makes it worse.

8. SUPERclosetgrowth

SUPERclosetgrowth Germinated

ranger,

if you hate bush so much why dont you write him a threatning letter asking him to resign. I dont like him either. I voted for the other *******(forgot his name)

9. The Dawg

The Dawg Harvested Fat Sticky Bud

So true Ranger on all points.bring back Bill and they can give the credit to Bush jr. after Bills been in office for a awhile

10. Mamafingers

Mamafingers A Fat Sticky Bud

i got a questoin, lol when i say bill is bettter then bush, why does everyone jump on my nuts about it, but in this thread everyone suddenly sees the light?

11. SUPERclosetgrowth

SUPERclosetgrowth Germinated

pardon moi! Wasent bill the one who didnt approve the funding for the anti-missile defense system?

Oh, it was al gore that I voted for!

12. THCdude

Mass media has equated extramarital affairs as worse than war, thats why everyone jumps your ass! Most americans get all their info from the mass media and you won't find criticism of Bush as it is deemed "unpatriotic". IMHO

13. agrowguy

agrowguy Excommunicated

There goes the original topic, point, and relevance to the discussion right out the fuckin window for the 300kagillionth time.

stay on track.

Ranger you are right when you say fight fire with water, but what happens when water no longer becomes sufficient? Like it dont work at all? Dont you have to resort to something other than pussyfooting around about ****?

(Edited by agrowguy at 4:13 pm on Feb. 24, 2003)

14. THCdude

Stay on track??? Easy there aggs! Your statement doesn't pertain directly to the post either. I was stating my opinion why most people in the US can't see that the Emporer isn't wearing any clothes. I think we (the world) are making progress in removing the tigers fangs. Kind of hard to piss in your neighbors garden when all the lights are on.

15. rangerdanger

That's a great last sentence dude.

16. Sylent Skull

Sylent Skull Cured Fat Sticky Bud

wow, i guess you all forgot the economny was on the rise during the last 2 years of bush 1, and was on the decline in the last 2 years of clinton. I guess you also forgot that unemployment was up to 20% under clinton. I guess you also forgot about 9/11. You blame companies going out of business like it was bush, and not the twin towers falling down. Did you also forget about the thousands of jobs clinton stole from american citizens and gave to china?

Maybe you dont realize this guys, but the government isnt supposed to have a surplus. If they do, it means they taxed your money, didnt spend it on what there supposed to, and have no plans on giving it back. Its like when you pay taxes, you dont want to owe anything just as much as you dont want anything back because if they give you money back, it means you gave them an interest free loan.

Clinton loved other countries people more than he loved his own people. Hence selling china military secrets and sending the military into "atleast" 6 countries such as somolia. Clinton also was a thief, remember whitewater? You guys talk about clinton like the only thing he did that he was bashed on was BJ's. The BJ's just covered up his real problems, and the liberal controled media knew they had to blow that case up if they were to keep all clintons real scandals out of the public eye.

17. agrowguy

agrowguy Excommunicated

sorry THC, got a bit out of hand there. Arrrrg.. It hurts my head. hehehe, i'll try and keep up though ;)

18. THCdude

Cool beans, aggy! SD, when have I ever defended either of the crooks? Other than trying to keep eyes open to other possibilities. I don't like Bush and never have (mostly because I can't stand Texas), I didn't have any feelings toward or against Clinton. Hell, I'm a Nader fan myself! There's a bit of Don Quixote in my soul, 'eh Pancho?

19. Mamafingers

Mamafingers A Fat Sticky Bud

Hell yeah THC, Nader shoulda won ;)

20. THCdude

If all the people that are tired of the s.o.s. (same old ****) voted for Nader, at the least we would have something better to talk about than war.