LM's fourth grow show!!!

Discussion in 'The Growkind Gallery' started by lukesmommy, Apr 9, 2010.

1. RkyMtnWayHigh69

RkyMtnWayHigh69 2010 NAGC Winner

What sort of soil do you use?

I've never had soil go "bad". I have had soil with too much moisture and too little ventilation, get soggy and I'm sure it wasn't the best to use.

I've also had soil dry out, but it didn't cause any problems after it was re-hydrated.

I use Fox Farms with a 40% perilite mixture.

Got any pics of the dying ones?

I'm sorry your having these issues. :(

We'll figure it out. I have faith in :GK: ;)

Maybe it's just a "higher power", telling you it's time to begin cloning. ;)

2. lukesmommy

lukesmommy "lil doobie"

Thanks Rky!

Here's one of the shrivled up ones:

[​IMG]

and this one has a weird set of first leaves:

[​IMG]

Can anyone help me figure this new mystery out??? Thanks in advance!

Peace

-LM

3. lukesmommy

lukesmommy "lil doobie"

~BUMP~

Pics of problemed seedlings added...

Peace

-LM

4. greenthumbwhitethumb

greenthumbwhitethumb down w the moral majority

hey LM what kind of soil are you using? is it stuff you've used before?

the big thing with seedlings is that until they get strong enough to handle feeding, they first use what's in their seed, then draw everything they can from the soil. so if you start out with soil that maybe doesn't have enough nutes naturally in it, a seedling can pull too much out and be left with nothing.

after many failures with seedlings, (gardening, anyway!) i've learned the best to pop seeds in is a mix of compost (loaded with nutes) & vermiculite/perlite for aeration & water retention. moisture is also a typical problem for seedlings, since they are usually in a smaller container, the soil can dry up really fast, and that's what the perl/verm is good for in the mix.

how close is your light? how's your temp? could be warming up faster where they are, seasons are changing, i know my house warms up fast right now!!!

good luck!

peace

GTWT

:XXhippylove:

5. lukesmommy

lukesmommy "lil doobie"

Thanks for responding GTWT!

It is the same MG potting soil i have used since grow one... hence why i am at a loss... i also gave thought to the light being too close to the seedlings, and actually have them now under just a 60w cfl til i can figure it all out. Other than that, everything has been identical- i used sannie's spongepots to start them off, used mg potting soil, etc...

So, any advice here is welcomed. i'm somewhat shocked at the lack of responses to this thus far...

Peace

-LM

6. LionLoves420

LionLoves420 Lazy Days In The Sun

By the same MG potting soil, do you mean you've been using the EXACT same soil since grow one, or the exact same type of soil?

7. RkyMtnWayHigh69

RkyMtnWayHigh69 2010 NAGC Winner

I'm so sorry LM, I've been trying to get my camping stuff sorted out and I hadn't checked in since I last posted. :(

The soil doesn't look soaked, it actually looks dry. Maybe they need water, but I'm sure you checked that.

Make sure your not reusing the same soil from a prior grow,

I find better results having my seedlings under flouros, so that will help when your get that done. ;)

Other than that, I don't really have any thoughts. :( I'm sorry things aren't working as you'd like. :(

Good luck sister and I have this on subscribe, so I won't forget it again. ;) :leaf:

8. lukesmommy

lukesmommy "lil doobie"

Thanks for the replies Lion and Rky...

Lion- it's the same type/brand, not the same all along... i always throw out old dirt from previous grows, as i know the lack of nutrients would hurt the plants...

Well, i guess from here it's a true guessing game...

And grow 4 will go on... i'm popping that fem'd 5 pack from Flying Dutchmen as we speak to replace the ones that died :(

Peace

-LM

9. rollin2techno

rollin2techno cL053t Gr0w3r

That shriveled one looks like it dried out and died. :(

10. lukesmommy

lukesmommy "lil doobie"

i know! i can't figure it out though- they were all wet, watered daily, but at the same time, not over watered... i am truly stumped! the only thing that is making ANY kinda sense is that the original light i had on them was too much, or the soil was old or bad? i dunno... just really frustrated right now. ~pouting~

thanks rollin...

Peace

-LM

11. lukesmommy

lukesmommy "lil doobie"

Finally!!!

Hey Guys n Gals!

Well, i didn't forget, just had some "set backs" with my fourth grow, but we are now well on our way to another wonderful Grow Show! Here's a sneak peek at what's getting ready to go under the lights:

[​IMG]

The three here are ahead of the other 9 seedlings (12 total) cause as you all know, i was havin some seedling issues... think it was that the light i had them under was too strong. So we solved that mystery, and grow 4 is up and runnin!

Stay tuned!

Peace

-LM

12. SecretGrower420

SecretGrower420 Baked as fuck

I really want to show you pics of what I have going right now LM, just to give you an idea of what more light in veg can do.

I got five indoors ( 2x Hericules, 2x Bubblelicious, 1x Kandy Kush) all about 4 weeks from sprouting and they are all about 5" tall with a ton of branching and about 4 layers of 7-9 blade fan leaves... very compact.

Yours look healthy but a little stretched out. I'll try getting pics of the setup ASAP.

13. Potsitiveminds

Potsitiveminds Developed Alternating Nodes

Hello lm. Sorry to hear about your little seedlings. Im a noob but when I started my third grow in mid Jan( they are still begging and still very small and it's been almost 5 months already I thoght I would be done like my first grow.) anyway I got side tracked. From my experience with my first grow, I planted 15 seedlings and they started to die off like yours. I arrived at the conclusion the cause was to much light. Even though they were cfls. So I setthe lights a bit a higher and the rest started coming around. Just my two cents thought I could help. You plants do look kinda stretchy. Which bring me to my next question. SecretGrower420, you mention ur plants are compact. What are the advantages to havin compact nodes as oppossed to having a bit of stretchyness. I have to admit that I have found myself guilty of letting the plants Stretch a little soi can see some growth. Is more bud accomplished by having compactnodes or having them a bit stretchy? Sorry for hijacking real quick lm. Mythought is it can help both u lm and me. :) Sorry for hijacking.

14. lukesmommy

lukesmommy "lil doobie"

No apologies necessary! I appreciate ANY and All advice from my fellow growers!

The 3 largest ones are about a week to 2 weeks ahead of the others, which i just have under a lil 60w cfl, as not to kill em. They've since been moved into a grow tent since this pic was taken. So far so good, so let's keep our fingers crossed!

Peace

-LM

15. retiree

retiree A Fat Sticky Bud

Hey LM, I've noticed that your plants always look tall thin and slender especially in the beginning. I don't know if that is a bad thing or not. I do, however, agree completely with SG420 that if anything you need MORE light on your seedlings. Not less for sure. I pump out seedlings under a 1kw no problem. And I too get very compact and extensively branched plants. As a beginner, I was even kinda wondering if my plants were not right after seeing a lot of folks' tall and open looking plants. It's obvious you know how to take care of your plants as they always look very healthy. But what kinda light are you using when you say 60w cfl? Is it a true 60w or 60w equivalent? I'd pack them under four or five 23w cfls with plenty of reflectice material around the sides were I you. If you do you will notice a significant change in the development of your younguns.

I always check in on your grows. See ya round.

Retiree

16. lukesmommy

lukesmommy "lil doobie"

Thanks for the kind words Retiree!

I'm still pretty new to all of this, but you're right about the strechy beginnings... I was a bit afraid to give them more light as the first batch did shrivel up and die i think from too much light too soon, hence the 60w cfl they're under. They've been moved and are now under a true 100w + a 60w cfls. We'll see what happens now!

Thanks for checkin in!

Peace

-LM

17. SecretGrower420

SecretGrower420 Baked as fuck

The main advantage to a more compact plant is once your plant is budding, the buds form at the nodes and in the end you will have fatter more compact buds as well.

As for you saying you have too much light, this is my setup.............. There are 2x 2ft tubes and a 75 watt cfl above, a 2 ft tube on the front side, and a 75 watt cfl on either side. Side light makes a big difference, the only thing is, you have to keep them at least a couple inches away from the bulbs. I'm not sure what side effects your plants were having but I dont think it was from too much light. Got any pics of the problem plants?

18. Potsitiveminds

Potsitiveminds Developed Alternating Nodes

Scretgrower, ur right more light is better. I agree with that. What I should have said was that the bulbs where to close to the plants and the heat was cooking the top leaves. I had the bulbs to close and I was thinking maybe lm had the same issue. Sorry about not being clear enough. :) I had the bulbs, up until recently, 1/2-1 in away from the top of the seedlings and plants. So I had heat issues because of it. Now that I moved them more like 2-3 in away they are good.

19. Herb

Herb Mountain Man

Damn...you got more 'grow shows' than Regan had jelly beans. :thumbs-up:

Good luck with this one LM. May your girls grow big and strong. :growin:

20. lukesmommy

lukesmommy "lil doobie"

lol, thanks Herb!

Gosh knows i would rather grow it myself than pay someone for shwag! I'm gonna try cloning this grow, so it should be interesting!

Thanks for stoppin by!

Peace

-LM