New Setup help...

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by CandyMan, Sep 5, 2010.

1. CandyMan

CandyMan Veggy Stage

I know it's been a while but I'm back at it!!!:alien11: .... this grow will be done in a 4x4x7 grow tent 400 watt MH/HPS for flowering for now... and a 125W cfl for vegging.... where my problem is what do I do for ventilation? I've been looking into a portable a/c 9,000 btu for $150 is not bad... I'm gonna need a inline fan and filter(would a 4" inline fan and carbon filter be efficient?) sooner or later for the smell and I want to add another light eventually do I vent the tent or should I get the new light with a air cooled hood? and what size light would be good for a second light? I know heat will be a major issue it's bad enough with 1 400 HPS... thanks and any help is appreciated...:beerchug-2:

2. HeadCase

HeadCase Old Prick

I had a 3X2.5X6 cabinet I ran a 4" inline fan & carbon filter without a air cooled hood & didn't have any trouble with heat . I always did run a oscillating fan blowing over the tops of my plants.-Bud

3. JesseJamesBond

JesseJamesBond Harvested Fat Sticky Bud

Likewise

Im running a 5x2.7x6.6 tent, 600w mh/hps digital ballast with 6" vented hood, 270 cfm inline fan and a carbon filter as soon as I throw these babies into bud. Heat is not an issue for me whatsoever!

If you plan on running but a 4" fan, spring for the HIGH OUTPUT model. In the 4" variety, it should bring a 100-120 cfm rated fan up to around 200cfm. Your 4x4x7 setup comes to 112 cubic feet. The high output model could effectively almost double you outake. It may seem like overkill at the moment, but think big picture...you want to add a second light! On that front, IMO you should only add another 400w, or switch them both for two 600 watters. If you go the 2x 600w route, you'll definately need a bigger and better fan. As much as I would like to suggest a 1000w, Im way too concerned about shit melting or causing fire. Thats just me.

Peace,

JJB

:passsit:

4. CandyMan

CandyMan Veggy Stage

so would the a/c be over kill? I'm concerned about temps too because my central a/c in the house dont blow very well in the rooms so temps are warmer than the living room...

5. JesseJamesBond

Only if...

Only if you dont upgrade you fan to compensate...

6. CandyMan

CandyMan Veggy Stage

will I need 2 inline fans 1 for intake and exhaust or just 1 for exhaust?

7. HeadCase

HeadCase Old Prick

NO just one fan & a passive intake-Bud

8. CandyMan

CandyMan Veggy Stage

thanks for the help... I appreciate it...

9. Green Goblin

Green Goblin Cannabis Connoisseur

if your space is 117 cubic feet and your exhausting 200 cfm and running an air conditioner...what are you cooling?

either

A use a propperly sized a/c

or

B use a properly sized exhaust system drawing from the top of the space.

either way id go with an air cooled hood.

:pimp:

10. CandyMan

CandyMan Veggy Stage

I'm currently not running anything just trying to figure out what would be best for ventilation...

11. Green Goblin

Green Goblin Cannabis Connoisseur

id follow in the footsteps of james bond #2 over there...

i'm james bond...if im james bond then you cant be james bond...if you are james bond...i need to give your car back....lol :pimp:

12. mt.king

mt.king mud drags champion

4 inch

Yes 4 inch inline fan will work with a filter In the tent space you have:thumbs-up:

13. JesseJamesBond

Fan FIRST, A/C SECOND

If you run a higher rated cfm fan than needed, there probably wont be any need for a/c anymore. If your particular strain still finds it too hot, then take a portable a/c into consideration. Just ask yourself one thing. Is it worth the hastle and expense for what will probably be just a couple of degrees, or will an oscilating fan take care of it?

JJB

:beerchug-2:

14. mt.king

mt.king mud drags champion

400hps

If the ambient air temp of the room the tent is in is 68°-72°f a good 4" vortex with the correct cfm charcoal filter will keep the temps in check especially if you use a vented hood and the exhaust exits out of the lung room.

ALSO YOUR FILTER WILL WORK BETTER. BECAUSE A HIGHER CFM FAN WILL PULL TOO FAST TO SCRUB EFICIENTLY. SLOWER =MORE TIME IN THE CARBON :thumbs-up:

15. CandyMan

CandyMan Veggy Stage

thanks for the input guys...

16. CandyMan

CandyMan Veggy Stage

will I received my fan and filter yesterday and I'm gonna need some suggestions. the fan is rated at 190 CFM shouldn't that be good? I'm exhausting to the attic and my temps are too high with the tent closed. I was thinking maybe I need an inline fan or a booster fan of some sort on the intake side for more air coming in could this be my problem? my temps were 81 inside the tent closed and the ambient temps in the room is 73. anyone have any ideas?

IMG00023-20100917-0821.jpg

IMG00024-20100917-0822.jpg

/monthly_2010_09/IMG00023-20100917-0821.jpg.2d2874474f3b4b0a6a56bc51317b583e.jpg

/monthly_2010_09/IMG00024-20100917-0822.jpg.bd3007822c476a4dc9afaafea43d3198.jpg

17. CCrete

CCrete Mr. Poopyfacepeepeehead

Why'd you buy a 190cfm inline fan my man? Whos suggestion was that?

Not a good decision......heat is the enemy...in most cases BIGGER IS BETTER.....always go bigger

I mean for an extra 30-50 bucks your issues with heat would have been resolved entirely..

My advice is to get a larger inlin fan and put a speed controller on it, so you can adjust to the desired TEMPs

Also, your intake MUST be a HALF size larger than your exhaust......sooooo if you have a 4 inch fan sucking hot air out.....you need atleast a 6inch hole to sucking cooler/new air IN (put it as low as possible)

18. CandyMan

CandyMan Veggy Stage

I was told that a 4" high volume inline fan would do by more than 1 person thats why I got the temp under control as of for now got a duct coming from the a/c in the house going into the tent headed to look into another fan and speed controller now...

19. CCrete

CCrete Mr. Poopyfacepeepeehead

what happenes when you turn OFF your ac?

Big heat?

20. CandyMan

CandyMan Veggy Stage

yep you got it... I'm gonna need another fan just dont know what one... my tent has 4" inlet/outlet exhaust holes and 6" vent holes for air cooled hoods, so I'm gonna have to look for another 4" fan of some sort...