Accidental Question

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by timitsoo, Jun 21, 2006.

1. timitsoo

timitsoo Germinated

Okay, here's the deal. I was just messing around with germination and lo and behold, I have a beautiful little sprout coming up. SO easy I was supprized. Problem is, I don't have anything set up for growing. No biggie, but I was wondering if I leave it alone with just the normal sun cycles in Colorado (indoors), what will become of my little guy. In my mind, I'm thinking it will be similar to an outdoor grow only because I'm using natural light cycles. If it's a female, will it ever flower? Just curious because this little dude really is wanting to live. Totally reaching for the window at all times. So I've searched a bit, but everything seems based on the 24/7 and 12/12, so my question is what should I expect and if there is any way to flower her (depending on sex I know) can I? Many thanks. Timitsoo

2. timitsoo

timitsoo Germinated

here's a picReachin for the sun!

sprout2.JPG

/monthly_2006_06/sprout2.JPG.a87b72a44a83f27e59752d659569f449.JPG

3. timitsoo

timitsoo Germinated

Oh

by the way, total bag seed.

4. Erin Kerrik

Erin Kerrik Veggy Stage

Window light won't do it, you need a better light source.

Poke around here for people use FL (fluorescent) or CFLs (those screw in energy saving lights shaped as a double helix) for some ideas.

5. Mr.Dope

Mr.Dope Master Grower Of The Kind

Yeah the 24/0 and 18/6 or the 12/12 is all indoor terms. If you keep the plant on the window for light from the sun then it is an outdoor grow. There is really no 24/0, 18/6 or 12/12 terms for that. It will just grow with the season and flower when there is less light outside. But if you want to control your plants growth and flowering than get some lights for an indoor grow. Fluorescents are cheap and dont use much power. They also dont build that much heat.

Mr.Dope:cool:

6. timitsoo

timitsoo Germinated

okay, okay

Since I'm just practicing, I'll stick it under some 24/7 lighting. Why not. Nothing to loose. I was just messing around with the germination, but since that wasn't very difficult after reading about it, I'll continue the experiment. Just some weak 40 and 60W bulbs. I'll leave the light on and see what happens. I guess I better read ahead since I wasn't prepared for this step. No grow room built yet. I was hoping to get a grow tent I found off E-bay for $300. Comes with all attachements and holes ready for fans and venting. But for now the stove top will have to do for the 24/7 light. Just my luck it will be a female and I'll have to ride this out till the end. LOL I'll keep taking pictures just for those that care to watch. Peace all and thanks for the words. Timitsoo

7. donny

donny Latae Sententiae Excommunication

I still dont get what an "accidental question" is

8. timitsoo

timitsoo Germinated

come on now

come on, cut me some slack, I was stoned when I composed that. :)

9. Erin Kerrik

Erin Kerrik Veggy Stage

CFLs of course - they screw into standard sockets, last for years, are much brighter than incandescent, cost 1/3 in energy usage and are $16 for a four-pack of 100W. And most importantly, are far far superior to incandescents for indoor gardening.

10. timitsoo

timitsoo Germinated

Like this bulb?I have some of these, should work for a bit right?

light.JPG

/monthly_2006_06/light.JPG.2c832d8d8dfda0eb481359504a0bb098.JPG

11. timitsoo

timitsoo Germinated

light pic

bump on the light pic. Correct for what they were talking about for a simple experiment?

12. skunky

skunky labor smoke'n lumberjack

timitsoo yea thats the light they're talking about but if you want to set something up a little better you're going to need a lot more of those i would atleast but like 5 of those bitches on that one plant! Or better yet get 2 4' lights of america fixtures from wal-mart for $8ea and two set of ecno residential(i believe)lights $3-$4 eash set. that would be good lighting for the plants would consume a total of 160W and would bush the plant out a little bit and if you stick with it you will have some lights for a mom and clones and if you don't well hell you have two extra 4' flo shoplights.

Erin, man you should pay more attention to the labels 100W incandescent is like 27W CFL and thats what it probably says is that it replaces the 100W bulb for real look on the side of the bulbs ballast and it probably has 27W stamped on it somwhere if their Ge bulbs they should have a 26W stamped on the side. Cause man i've never seen a 4 pack of 100W CFLs for $16 cause the cheapesy i've seen 85 watt CFLs is like $20 a pop! and the 150W are like $80 and for that price might as well spend an extra $25 on a 400W HPS!

13. Grower#69

Grower#69 Germinated

those fluoros will work just fine for beginning, i'm using three for mine. when you use the fluoros for the beginning the light is easier on the leaves and sprouts. instead of blasting the plant away with a 400 Watt HPS light. save those for later. use fluors until you get a better light system. hell...i know some people who use fluoros to grow the plant all thw ay. they just have a lot of them.

14. timitsoo

timitsoo Germinated

thanks all

Yeah, I got my first grow turning into a suprise success so far. I mean who knows what will happen or if I'll even have a female, but either way it's been fun. Right now I have two 100w flouros on my plant (almost 12"tall) and another 100w floro on my new sprout. I will most likely just use them all the way till the end and see what becomes of them. I hope 3ooW of floro's will be enough to produce some bud. Any thoughts or experience on that? Thanks. -timitsoo