Distance from - Light to plant tops?

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by WiZaRD, Aug 27, 2006.

1. WiZaRD

WiZaRD Harvested Fat Sticky Bud

440 Watt HPS, 3 week old plants. What would you guys say a GOOD distance would be? I started off the first week with the light nearly 3 feet away from the tips of the plants, then I cut that distance down by about 35-40%. I'm thinking I could move it down another 15-25%, but I'm just curious what you guys think? My babies look absolutely stunning, they are great, but I feel as if the light could stand to be a little closer. How does 18" sound?

2. Project-X

Project-X Mayor of Trichome Valley

They say 18" to 24" with a 400 watt. What you have going sounds pretty good, just watch the leaves. I have a 250 watt and keep a fan blowing at it and keep it around 12" from the plants with no problems. I'm in a small closet so the 250 works great for me.

3. wawona

wawona The Trichome Connoisseur

sounds like you are right on track. 3 feet may be a bit far to start, but better safe than sorry is a good idea. lots of folks start at a cupl feet away and work closer as you have. as they "harden up" or get used to the light they can be closer.

when my plants finish, the buds are as close as 2-3 inches from the 400 watts with no ill effects. those buds really like that intense light.

a good rule of thumb is to place your hand at the top of your plants. if your hand is comfortable then your plants are more than likely comfortable.

keep up the good work.

4. WiZaRD

WiZaRD Harvested Fat Sticky Bud

Thanks guys. Yeah, that's what I've been doing, using my hand to tell. I also have pretty small fan, proly a 6-8" blowing diagonally up AT the light, so as to keep the heat from just settling. And once again, thanks alot guys....

5. Project-X

Project-X Mayor of Trichome Valley

Interesting wawona. Mine are two weeks into flower and once they fatten up a bit I might try lowering the light a bit.

6. UrBigBuddie

UrBigBuddie MEDI-GROWER

Hey ma man...... put your hand next to the TOP of the PLANT, and hold it there for a min , and see if you think it will be toooo hot to leave it at that hight!!!! (thats how i do it!!!, VERY SAFE WAY!!!) But, iff not, 16"(inches) is THEE recommended hight for the typical MJ plant!!!!

peace out

and keep growing.

UrBigBuddie..........:cool: :D

7. UrBigBuddie

UrBigBuddie MEDI-GROWER

Hey ma man...... put your hand next to the TOP of the PLANT, and hold it there for a min , and see if you think it will be toooo hot to leave it at that hight!!!! (thats how i do it!!!, VERY SAFE WAY!!!) But, iff not, 16"(inches) is THEE recommended hight for the typical MJ plant!!!!

peace out

and keep growing.

UrBigBuddie..........:cool: :D

8. wawona

wawona The Trichome Connoisseur

your plants will thank you for it. just be careful not to over do it all at once and stress 'em out or burn 'em up.