Hempy Buckets

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Cultivation' started by Toker2, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Toker2

Toker2 Looking at a hot ass

I read the sticky here and researched it some and and almost ready to try
    it but im still unclear on a few things.

From another source.....This drain hole, does it need a spicket or a plug?

Is that the only hole in the bucket?

the Ph values are different than dirt?

Will peralite suffice as a medium?

I assume these is a screen that goes infront of the drain hole

would common screen work?

Any indepth links would be apprciated

2. virago420

virago420 Excommunicated

Perlite is fine, you can use a screen but its not completely necessary. Alot of folks just cut a V shaped slit in place of drilling the hole. The hole is just so you know the res is full and dont fill the bucket to high with nutes and drown your ladies. Its also essential later on when your flushing. I used window screen myself. You want your pH to be 5.8, hempy is hydro. Its very simple and highly effective. Peace

EDIT: Personally I used a mix of 50/50 perlite/vermiculite

3. Toker2

Toker2 Looking at a hot ass

Thanks man , please explain the res, Where does it start?

The drain hole is not plugged so would that mean the res is below that?

If it were not the water would run out ?

Im so new on this concept, It does not seem hard, i just need to know

how much water to put in the res, where the ''full'' line is and the ''low''

line if there is one and more info on PH and stuff.

Im not ready to build it yet but was wondering do i need to order

any specific chemicals and stuff

thanks man.

If im understanding this correct its just like dirt

the drain is to let run off from watering escape

and a pan to catch the run off is recommended

thats it other than any special water treatments i should use

nutes etc...

4. virago420

virago420 Excommunicated

Yes the RES is from the bottom of your container to the bottom of the hole you drill. The perlite/vermiculite will wick the nutrients up from the res. Keep your pH in between 5.5-5.8 and you will be all set. I obviously have to recommend GH 3 part nutes following the Useless formula because it has treated me so well. That and a good PH pen. You will have to get a feel for how much nutes it will require to give you slight runoff. It depends on your container size. You only want to add as much so that you have a small amount of runoff. I use GH PH UP/Down to adjust my PH as needed. Peace

5. insaneface

insaneface Begun Flowering

hempy

I am using this for the first time and i am using straigh perlite... the hole also help with keeping your roots nice and oxyginated also... lieke virago420 stated easy to flush and just water with nutrients like you would in soil... if you use a smaller size bucket like a 2 gallon or any thing like that just bring the hole a lil lower... The reason why i use straight perlite is so that i can wash it and resuse it for the next grow....:thumbs-up: hope it helps and good luck!

**edit here is the link for the useless formula in case you do it http://www.growkind.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35174

6. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

Word!!!!!!!!!!!!

Teamster6

7. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

Hempy is easy! You can use any size of container from a small cup to a 30 gallon rubber tub. The idea is always the same. Put a hole or just drill a bunch of little holes in a cluster making your own "screen". Water until the solution comes out of the hole/holes. The res should be between 1 and 2 inches deep depending on the size of your Hempy container. I use 100% perlite. I give plain water every 3'rd watering and I pH everything to between 5.8 and 6.0 I have had good success so far. I am using Flora Nova by General Hydroponics it's a simple 1 part grow and 1 part bloom system. GH 3 part is also fine. This is just a hydro setup without the need for pumps. Water according to weight. When your container feels light water until you have a small amount of run off. IMO hempy is the easiest form of hydro and it's basically idiot proof. You will need a good pH pen tester. If done properly you will get awesome results!

Here is a Hempy tub I made out of a 20 gal. rubber tub. I cut a hole in one side about 2 inches from the bottom.

[​IMG]

Here is a plant I am growing in a 5 gal. Hempy bucket.

[​IMG]