The Battle For Colorado

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana' started by Bud Greenright, Jan 31, 2010.

1. RkyMtnWayHigh69

RkyMtnWayHigh69 2010 NAGC Winner

Very well put my friend! Kick ass post!:ebert:

2. morel

morel Guest

One main reason that most Doctors are not behind the medical Marijuana, is that every time they write a prescription an you fill it at your local pharmacy, they get a kick back from the drug companies. The kick back is one of the main reasons that they have their DEA numbers on the script in the first place, also they like to get people hooked on addictive medications, that way you have to come back and get your refill and even if you don't pay your Dr's bill they still receive their kick backs when you fill your prescriptions. Try talking your Dr into giving you a generic medication and they will tell you that it is not as affective as the brand named drugs, why the kick back is not as great.

Once they have you on an addictive drug they have you, all opiate based drugs will cause you to need more and more as your tolerances builds. When you don't get the amount that your body requires, you will go through withdrawals. With Marijuana you will also build up tolerances, just like opiates, but you can quite Marijuana cold turkey with out any of HELL that you go through when stopping opiates. Another thing that they never tell you, is that when you take opiates for a prolonged period of time you will become allergic to them.

Our laws within the USA were originally based upon the rights of the person an private property, not like now where big business writes the laws, forcing people to purchase the deadly drugs and products

3. RkyMtnWayHigh69

Sort of cynical . . . My Dr. is a very good person who wouldn't do anything I didn't want or need. But, because he's employed by the VA, he CAN'T recommend MMJ to any of his patients. He and I talked about it, but I was told that he could prescribe me the comventional drugs, Flexerol, Xanex, and a couple other no name pills for my ailments. This way all I have to do is take my medical records to any other Dr. and they have all the background they need for me to be recommended as a MMJ patient.

I do get the generic meds, but I'm guessing it's only because the VA is paying for it, and they are cheap! :roll:

I'm sure things are different at a private Dr. but I don't have to go that route, fortunately!

4. AverageJoe

AverageJoe papa oom mow mow

Another local Colorado MMJ story

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=132606&catid=339

The jungle of pot in your neighbor's basement

Jace Larson 2 hrs ago

HIGHLANDS RANCH - They are hidden, yet thriving operations next door to hundreds of unsuspecting metro neighbors. 9Wants to Know discovered dozens of suburban homes turned into large medical marijuana growing operations. It is all legal under state law.

"Whether it's a small grow or a big grow, I don't think the average person realizes how close to their front door it is," said Chris Bartkowicz, who operates a large medical marijuana grow facility in the basement of his $637,000 Highlands Ranch home.

"I'm definitely hidden in suburbia," he said.

From the outside, his house looks like others on his street. His secret is in his 2,000 square foot basement.

A jungle of electrical wires and water hoses snakes from room to room, all supporting Bartkowicz's nearly $500,000 medical marijuana operation.

This year, he is hoping for record profits.

"I'd like to see somewhere in the vicinity of $400,000 [in profit,]" he said, though he admits he could make as little as $100,000 depending on what happens with proposed laws regarding medical marijuana.

Bartkowicz says he has grown for more than a year without his neighbors finding out and without any criminal complications.

"If my neighbors don't know and no one else knows, how would I be a target?" he said. "I want to be invisible."

Jefferson County resident Buffi Martynuska disagrees.

"We don't need it, we don't want it," she told 9Wants to Know after a different person grew medical marijuana next door to her. "In my backyard, you [couldn't] miss it."

Headlines about break-ins at medical marijuana dispensaries and the Jan. 5 murder of a man selling medical marijuana in East Denver made her worry criminals would come to her neighborhood next, she said.

Martynuska warned other neighbors. Eventually the people living next door to her voluntarily moved their operation elsewhere.

Crime is also what concerns Josh Stanley, who grows medical marijuana in a downtown commercial building.

"When you are growing in a clandestine residential home you have the opportunity for thieves to target you," Stanley said.

He hired a security guard and runs digital cameras that he says beam video offsite for additional security.

In Highlands Ranch, Bartkowicz says he has had no problems with crime. He believes his neighbors do not know about the plants growing in his basement.

"I've been going full steam since day one and I've never had a hiccup," he said.

Three rooms in his basement provide different amounts of light to plants. He works on a four-month growing cycle starting plants he calls "clones" by clipping off a leaf from a large plant.

"It's not as simple as putting some dirt in a room, putting some plants in it, throwing water on it and putting a light on top," he said.

Once clones root, they grow into plants 4 to 5 feet tall. It takes about 60 days for the plants to bloom - or grow buds that contain the ingredient THC. When harvested, the buds are smoked, mixed into butter for cooking or made into a liquid.

Bartkowicz got a medical marijuana license for himself after he said pain from scoliosis made it tough to get out of bed. Because he is listed as a caregiver for more than a dozen others, he is allowed to grow for them too. He says he never sells marijuana illegally.

"Why would I? Why would I want to risk my golden ticket," he asked.

The powerful smell of marijuana fills every room in his house.

To keep neighbors in the dark, Bartkowicz pumps old air through a maze of ducts into a 6-foot-tall carbon filter. It removes the odor before air is released back outside.

Maintaining the operation is costly.

Bartkowicz's showed 9Wants to Know his electric bill for two months. He owed $3,694.92, a small price to pay for what he earns, he said.

"I'm definitely living the dream now," he said.

Bartkowicz is only one of dozens of people in Colorado who use hidden medical marijuana gardens to grow more than a dozen plants.

With the help of law enforcement from the Jefferson County Sheriff's Office, the North Metro Drug Task Force, South Metro Drug Task Force and the Aurora Police Department, 9Wants to Know identified recent residential grow operations in cities and counties across the metro area:

West Bowles Avenue and South Kipling Parkway - Jefferson County

South University Boulevard and C-470 - Highlands Ranch

West Waterton Road and North Rampart Range Road - Douglas County

Meadows Boulevard - Castle Rock

Lincoln Avenue and Jordan Road - Parker

East Main Street and North Jordan Road - Parker

East Smoky Hill Road and South Telluride Street - Centennial

South Sherman Street and East Easter Avenue - Centennial

Yale Avenue and South Syracuse Way - Arapahoe County

South Chambers Road and East Hampden Avenue - Aurora

East 84th Avenue and Washington Street - Adams County

Chambers Road and East 104th Avenue - Commerce City

West 80th Avenue and Zuni Street - Adams County

Washington Street and Malley Drive - Northglenn

East 120th Avenue and Washington Street - Northglenn

Colorado Boulevard and East 120th Avenue - Thornton

Colorado Boulevard and East 108th Avenue - Thornton

East 88th Avenue and Washington Street - Thornton

West 104th Avenue and Lowell Boulevard - Westminster

West 38th Avenue and Tennyson Street - Denver

30th Street and Curtis Street - Denver

9NEWS is not releasing exact addresses of grow locations due to concerns the homes could become targets of crime.

If a person growing medical marijuana does so in accordance with state law, most law enforcement will not prevent the person from growing, said South Metro Drug Task Force Sgt. Jason Anderson.

Some known grow operations listed above have been investigated after officials received information saying medical marijuana had more plants than state law allows for each patient.

Currently, state law allows each caregiver to have six medical marijuana plans per patient.

Anderson advises neighbors to watch for suspicious activity in their communities.

"Be alert, watch the neighborhood and if they see any suspicious activity they need to report it," Anderson said.

He says his team investigates every complaint it receives. He encourages residents to call police with questions or concerns.

"Suspicious is different to everybody. If there is a problem they need to contact law enforcement and not try to handle it themselves," Anderson said.

Read Jace Larson's blog about this story by clicking here.

Contact 9NEWS investigative reporter Jace Larson at 303-871-1432 or jace.larson@9news.com.

(KUSA-TV © 2010 Multimedia Holdings Corporation)

5. RkyMtnWayHigh69

It's definitely a growing business! :growin:

:rofl6:

6. Bud Greenright

Bud Greenright In the garden, you?

The Dea Out Of Control

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=132739&provider=top

They busted the guy in the news story. DEA raids his house and shuts down his

grow. The Lawyers are fighting back against rogue DEA agents who do there "job" by watching the news and then busting those who talk to the press.

WARNING:

DON'T BRAG- The media is not our friend they want sensationalism not the truth. They have always demonized marijuana and contribute to the misconceptions and stereotypes so commonly referred to when talking about MMJ.

FUCK DEA AGENT JEFF SWEETIN-HE will play the villain in this battle. He is a narrow minded bureaucrat who will kick in the door of a cancer patient and rip the medicine from there hand.

7. Bud Greenright

Update-denver Dispensary Application Due Today

On the state wide level nothing has changed, the current patient- doctor legislation is only restriction from state.

At city and county levels things are different. Today is the last day for dispensaries and commercial grows in the city of Denver to apply for the "tax license" if you do not have it you are not legal to operate in the city as of Monday. I don't know how much time and resources the Denver PD will put into enforcing this city code. I do not live in Denver so I don't have to worry about that. However the county I live in is passing strict zoning laws on where you can have a grow op.

Now the state senate has there hand out. here is the Denver Post article on how the state senate wants to tax medical marijuana like Alcohol.

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_14474165

RkyMtnWayHigh69 likes this.
  8. RkyMtnWayHigh69

I think medical marijuana should be tax just the same as medical alcohol . . .

Ohhhh, wait! There is no such thing as medical alcohol.:idea:

MMJ should be taxed the same as the drugs it helps me avoid taking . . . like xanex, Cyclobenzaprine, Rinitidine and all the other medication I've been prescribed over the years!

As for the DEA raid in Highlands Ranch, I think the guy was a fucking IDIOT for going on the news and telling them about his excessive amounts of cash/profit.

That sort of language is expressed in the memo from the US Atty Gen. It allows the DEA to pursue grows that are either not in compliance with state laws or show, "financial gains or excessive amounts of cash." That was directly stated in the memo from the Justice Dept.

So, when this clown CONTACTED the news and said he wanted to tell his story, it's NOT the news channels fault he got busted. It's his fault. Noone brought this on him, but himself! He's a MORON and I refuse to argue his case when he caused the entire problem.

Here's a link to a similar thread . . . http://www.growkind.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38774

I agree that mmj laws are going to be put in place that we don't agree with, but I'm not going to jump the gun and freak out when some idiot wants to become the marijuana version of Balloon Boy!:roll:

Great info, Bud Greenright! I appreciate your concern. :) I will fight this fight to my death! I promise! :iwojima:

9. Bud Greenright

New News

A new house bill was introduced in Colorado last week -house bill 1284

http://www.leg.state.co.us/Clics/CLICS2010A/csl.nsf/BillFoldersHouse?openFrameset

If you dont want to read it all, sections 20-23 are important. Follow the money, any government program that pays for itself and ads to the general fund will never be shut down or ended.

20 (3) (16) Cash fund. (a) The medical marijuana program cash

21 fund shall be subject to annual appropriation by the general assembly to

22 the department STATE HEALTH AGENCY for the purpose of establishing,

23 operating, and maintaining the medical marijuana program.

ON THE FRONT PAGE OF THE DENVER POST THEY HAVE A LINK FOR MARIJUANA AND IT IS SPONSORED BY A LOCAL GROWERS SCHOOL:roffl:

Denver & The West News

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Newsletter + Premium: Sign In | Register

Commenting: Sign In | Register

* CLASSIFIEDS

* JOBS

* AUTOS

* REAL ESTATE

* SHOP

* Breaking News

* Denver & The West

* Columns

* Crime

* Education

* Front Page

* Data Center

* Marijuana

* Nation / World

* Obituaries

* Special Reports

* Weather

* Blogs

10. RkyMtnWayHigh69

11. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Excellent article Rky. The lawmakers continue to underestimate the financial windfall MJ farmers and dispensaries create. As pointed out, these are not government grant jobs or income tax abatement jobs or leveraged risks. These are businesses funded from personal capital directly infused back into the market. Because of this the ripples of positive financial gain to a community are huge in comparison to the size of the industry.

What I don't understand is why the effort to force dispensaries into being growsites? Wouldn't this add to security problems the opponents of MMJ already cite as a primary issue? I would think it simpler to license wholesale suppliers to the dispensary industry. Then the operators could choose to grow or dispense or both all under strict state guidance with the proper oversight.

cheers,

12. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

I can tell you right now private growers are not even on the minds of these guys. This will be about big money and as usual big money will will win out on this. The drug companys will take this over soon as they are not about to miss out on this kind of profit you just watch!!

:beerchug-2:

Teamster6

13. RkyMtnWayHigh69

Here's the most current interpretations of the pending bill.

PLEASE WATCH THE ENTIRE 52 MINUTES TO FULLY UNDERSTAND WHAT IS HAPPENING!
    THIS IS A MUST SEE!

http://www.commr.org/

Teamster6 - I fully understand your concern and I am VERY concerned, as a caregiver of 5 of less.;idea:

I think the MASS of :$ $$: created by this new found industry, will lay the foundation for much corruption and other "big business" practices.

I am fighting to keep that from becoming a reality. ;)

I urge anyone with even the slightest amount of concern about the regulation of MMJ in Colorado, to PLEASE watch on a regular basis.

I'll try to remember not to forget to post the links as they appear.

***This was current as of Noon MDT 5-3-2010***

The 2nd reading of the bill, before the Senate, is Wednesday . . . I believe . . . Me and the hippies will be there!

14. RkyMtnWayHigh69

HB1284 Passed By General Assembly ~ 5-11-2010

Well,

In a session that stretched late into the evening yesterday, the House approved HB1284 without any new amendments by a 46-19 vote. This means the bill is now off to the Governor's desk to be signed before becoming law. As has been widely reported by the media, there are a number of bad parts of this bill and many other parts that will be challenged in court in the coming days.

However, there are also a number of very good new additions to Colorado's Medical Marijuana program:

Patients are now allowed to grow their own medicine AND name a MMJ Center or primary caregiver. (page 62 lines 4-5)

"Higher Plant Count" recommendations in excess of 6 plants now recognized by Health Department. (page 65 line 25 - page 66 line 3)

"Infused Products Manufacturer" allowed to sell to any licensed MMJ center in the state without patients registered to the infused products manufacturer's name. (page 41 lines 19-21)

"Infused Products Manufacturer" allowed to grow all medicine needed to make their products. (page 40 lines 16-23)

Requires the Dept of Health to create a formal policy to add new conditions to the MMJ registry. (page 57 lines 12-15)

Encourages Colorado banks and credit unions to work with our industry. (page 38 lines 19-21)

Now that the bills are written and passed by the legislature, it's time for all of us to begin getting on the same page about what these new rules mean. I have attached a copy of the FINAL versions of HB1284 regarding new dispensary regulations and SB109 regarding the doctor/patient relationship.

*** Even if you haven't read a single bill so far, this is the time to read both of these new laws ***

Great video on the main page (5-12-2010)

http://commr.org/

Very informative and current article.:thumbs-up:

http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-news/5808741-colorado-tries-again-to-overrule-referendum-legalizing-medical-pot

I'm trying to post the actual document, HB1284, and SB109, both FINAL versions, but I can't add an attachment?!?!?!

Anyone know how to add an attachment?

ResinRubber likes this.
  15. Bud Greenright

Thanks for Posting the new version RMHW69

IF you have already read the bill the underlined parts are the additions since final vote. It needs a final signature by the Governor and then it is law as of July 1.

http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_15063896

Here is the Denver post Article

16. Bud Greenright

Officially Law In Colorado

FROM THE DENVER POST

Without public fanfare, Gov. Bill Ritter signed into law Monday two bills regulating and legitimizing the state's medical-marijuana industry, saying in a statement afterward they: "strike a delicate balance between protecting public safety and respecting the will of the voters."

The bills, House Bill 1284 and Senate Bill 109, impose complicated licensing requirements on medical-marijuana dispensaries and crack down on doctors handing out unscrupulous marijuana recommendations. They were some of the highest-profile measures passed in the legislature this year, intended to bring the state's voter-approved medical-marijuana system more into the open.

http://www.denverpost.com/news/marijuana/ci_15248235

HB1284 is the bill that effects the marijuana grower and has a very complicated list of requirements. However, the regulations are not that restrictive or as restrictive as they could have been. People still have the right to grow there own medicine privately but not for resale. The dispensaries will have to supply 70% of there own medicine with commercial grow ops. This is the step I personally have been waiting for, Now as a master grower the best thing I can do is contract with the Dispensaries-now being referred to as "health-centers" to be the person growing there medicine under the state regs.

By the way there have been NO application forms created yet or available from the state for the health center license or any other regulation that needs an application process. The state Health department will oversee and enforce the law but they have no specific department or employees to run it. So even though it is the law of the land a few more details are yet to come. Also at the local level a city or county can outlaw health-centers.

17. RkyMtnWayHigh69

Here's an article pointing out the tax revenue generated in the Denver area, by MMJ.

Short read . . .

Here's a link to a Q & A session regarding the new laws . . .

http://commr.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/CMMR-Analysis-of-MMJ-Regulations-HB1284-and-SB109.pdf

Here's a link to the FINAL version of HB 1284 . . .

http://commr.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/HB1284-final.pdf

Here's a link to the FINAL version of SB-10-109 . . .

http://commr.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/SB109-final.pdf

Here's a link to the FULL text of Amendment 20 of our Colorado Constitution . . .

http://www.cdphe.state.co.us/hs/medicalmarijuana/amendment.html

This is a compete and final version of each of these Bills, so make sure you check it out if you have ANY interest in Colorado's new MMJ laws. It's a very good idea to know what the rules are. ;)

ResinRubber likes this.
  18. Bud Greenright

Get Your Paperwork In If You Want To Be Legal Commercially

Statewide & Larimer County moratorium will go into effect for medicinal marijuana business's as of July 1st.

Local shop owners growers will have to have applied for a license by 5 this Thursday. Sales Tax and regulations coming down. Will it effect the Market? Will it put hardworking people out of business? Is this legislation even legal?

http://medicinemike.com/ <- little bit of spam for a local website helping the community.but a good story.:passsit:

This does not effect the personal grower who has his state card and paper work.

19. Bud Greenright

Co-state Applications For Medical Marijuana Available Online

The Colorado Department of revenue released the first forms regarding medical marijuana business's.Owners of Medical Marijuana health centers and there employees will need to complete these forms be compliant with the current House and senate bills.

http://www.medicinemike.com/ More to come.

20. RkyMtnWayHigh69

Here's the actual application. http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite?blobcol=urldata&blobheader=application/pdf&blobkey=id&blobtable=MungoBlobs&blobwhere=1251641748645&ssbinary=true

It asks more of a person than joining the military. WTF does some of this shit have to do with MMJ?!?!

Anyone filling this form out will feel totally violated and completely transparent in their financial and personal matters.

It's a shame the lawyers have got such a hold on our everyday world. I fucking hate lawyers!