Coming out of the closet...

Discussion in 'Smokers Lounge' started by weedgrl, Oct 15, 2010.

1. weedgrl

weedgrl Metalhead

OK, so recently I moved 1,300 miles away from home to be in a MMJ legal state(among other reasons lol). I currently have a license and have a mmj grow in my house. My parents are coming for their first visit in a few weeks so I decided since it is hard to conceal from nosy parents like mine, that I would "come out" and tell them. I was so scared of their reaction!!!
    Turns out that the same parents that grounded me when they caught me smoking at 25...yes, 25 (moved back in and they are strict), are the same ones that now say more people should be doing what I do! They are actually interested in it and can't wait to see my room!
    Anyone else "come out" of the growing closet to their parents? What was their reaction?

Bigbud214 and rasganjah like this.
  2. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Good on you for being an adult and owning your lifestyle. There's a freedom there.

When I got popped I called my then 77 and 79 year old parents. Wanted them to hear it from me and not some gossip, ya know. First words out my mother's mouth, "You have a prescription don't you? All MY friends who use MMJ do." HUH! WHAT? Mom is that you?

Had to explain that in my state they don't have MMJ and unfortunately there were going to be a few penalties.....then asked who her friends who toke are:roffl: . Turns out their's a quite a few old folks who burn-em. One of my dad's friends tried growing in his pool lanai and was going to be the senior pot king of the local community. Funny part is his 45 year old son got on his case and he quit after one grow. Opened a whole new world for me when I shared that part of my life with my folks.

cheers,

3. Stash2.0

Stash2.0 Harvested Fat Sticky Bud

My mom doesn't speak to me anymore because of moving to a legal state to grow

4. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

I never hid the fact that I smoked mj with my mother. I guess I started smokeing at about 16 when my brother who was 9 years older than me got me stoned one night.

Out of the blue one day when she was about 70 years old she said to me is there anyway you could get me a couple of those marijuana cigarettes so me and a friend can try it??

I said mom if you sit here at the table and smoke a joint with me I will get you two of em. She did and we had a great time.

cHEERS

Teamster6

5. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

My mom and dad both smoke, and my dad grows, and has grown since before I was born. When I was young I questioned why they smoked since it's a BAD DRUG (Just Say No Generation). My dad explained that "pot", that's how he always refers to ganja, helps to calm them down and relax, and that pot s much safer and better for you than alcohol, so that s when my views on ganja changed. However I was raised primarily by my grandmother who's VERY old-school prohibition era n her thinking. I do believe that she knows I smoke, but as long as she doesn't see or hear about it, then she just pretends that it's not there. I desperately want to tell her about my new venture into the MMJ industry, after all she taught me how to garden outdoors and how to grow my own vegetables, and Instilled the love of all growing things into my heart. Nothing would make me happier than to "come out" to her and ohhh my to smoke a joint with my eighty-two year old grandma whom I love and respect more than anyone n my family, would be like a dream come true!

6. Shadowman

Shadowman Full Flowering

Back in 1980, my mother was dying of cancer. It was awful to watch. Sometimes in retrospect, I wonder if it wasn't the chemotherapy that killed her. My father had heard how well MJ worked to counteract the worst parts of the chemo and asked if I could get him some. I bought an ounce of what we called, "Ozark Gold" for $80. Mother refused to smoke it...we were all crying that day.

Out of six siblings, four of us smoke. I'm the only sibling that will not smoke in front of my dad...out of respect. He will give me some good-natured shit when he knows I'm buzzed, but the subject doesn't come up that much.

7. MellowDood

MellowDood weed eater

:roll:

8. My dad smoked daily (he left when I was 8) and I've talked to my mom about smoking quite a few times. Shes told me stories of being super high and literally feeling the music and how great it can make things. I smoked all through high school, came home high as a kite and would just sit down and bullshit with her. I thought I was slick and she couldnt tell, but fuck, being a "grown up" now, I know she HAD to know I was ripped on more then one occasion.

I havent told her I grow. Shes been to my place, has got the hint of things and asked me jokingly said "you growing pot?!" She helps me with my finances (I was piss poor at money management from 18-23 or so) and has seen my power bill and been like "HOLY SHIT?!"

Shes a smart woman, and im sure she knows, but I just havent told her.

LOTS of older people in my family burn. I have an uncle who was a D.A.R.E. cop and burned. Ive smoked with plenty of my older cousins (15-20 years older then me) and a few of my uncles.

9. MellowDood

MellowDood weed eater

Your mom sounds like a smart lady. She probably understands that it's in your best interest and her best interest not to know about your grow.

10. Bigbud214

Bigbud214 Ganja Guru Extreme

me and my parents

My dad and i were close and best friends, every friday night id meet him at a local bar and we would have drinks and try to meet ladies as both of us were single. my parents divorced when i was 10. i saw my dad several times a week every week. he knew i burned regularly even on those friday nights. i would be like hey dad be right back time for an attitude change. code for smoking a joint. one night he asked what i got from smoking it. my reply was dad it affects everyone a lil different. for me it just relaxes me allows me to be myself. i asked him to try it with me, so at 64 yrs old he walks out to the parking lot and burns one with me. his reaction was hmmm different but not my thing. ill stick to my canadian club and walked back into the bar. he passed away 4 months later. i will always cherrish that moment as it exlemplifies what an open and genuine man he was. he did not judge me for my decisions only supported me.

my mom on the other hand..... well shes still going strong and still as anti MJ as always. she knows i have a history of MJ use and always askes me if im still doing it. if she were to find out i think she would disown me and would destroy her. so its better off left unsaid.

:anibong:

11. mt.king

mt.king mud drags champion

outlaw by blood family tradition

Dad was a grower 25plus years until my cousin ripped him off then his dad snitched afraid of the ass wippin that was gonna follow. Mom new I smoked. Paw had a still when i was a kid growing up in Oklahoma .I remember Granny turning the chickens lose in his greenhouse to eat the seedlings him and cousin bean head planted.

Actually my mom prefers when I smoke I'm mellower. And when she came home for christmas I showed her what was behind the locked door along with my card. She was absolutely fine with it, not surprisingly though

12. greenthumbwhitethumb

greenthumbwhitethumb down w the moral majority

my mom knows i smoke "occasionally", but if my dad ever found out i grew, he would seriously call the cops on me. he's done it to older siblings just for possession - i know he would do it for growing.

he's a blind-folded religious zealot who cannot see outside his own views. sad, really, he's partially isolated all of his kids. we have to hide certain things from him. there's no honesty in my family. none at all.

sucks having a parent who will never accept you. you'd think i'd be used to it, huh? glad your parents were open minded - i wish i had that kind of relationship with mine.

peace

GTWT

:XXhippylove:

13. Dazechain

Dazechain Cured Fat Sticky Bud

...carbon copy...

...Ya' know I love my mom...always have, always will, for all time...however, I know for fact if I told her about or show'd her my grow...I would be facing jail time...fact...sucks living in a state that is anal to the n'th degree...with a parent ready and waiting at every juncture to turn on their own...happens in real time, don't kid yourselfs...marijuana laws are unjust and self-serving to the elitist thuggery "camp evil" amongst us...I don't break just laws, only unjust laws...here's to happy law-breaking...done deal.

...DC...:XXsunsmile::new_scatter:

14. greenthumbwhitethumb

greenthumbwhitethumb down w the moral majority

:beerchug-2: :beerchug-2:

:passsit:

I'll drink and smoke to that.....

GTWT

:XXhippylove:

15. CREATIVE GARDENER

CREATIVE GARDENER Cured Fat Sticky Bud

my mom never really condoned smoking but learned to accept the fact. after losing 4 brothers to drinking and seeing how it fucks up not only their lives but everybody around them she was just happy i wasn't a drinker.

she took a small bag i mistakingly left on my dresser when i was about 19 but gave it back when she found out what it cost. after that she only fussed when i left it out in plain sight. she would give me a little lecture and tell me to check my sock drawer.

she worked with me in my bussinesses handling the accounting and paying the bills. hell, she signed my name ten times more than i did. i've even had the bank question my personal signiture because they were used to her hand writing on all the checks. some folks wandered why i allowed her so much control over my money but she was much better at managing the money than i was. and i figured if i couldn't trust my mother who could i trust.

i was very honest with her about everything, cause trying to keep something hiden from her was futile. so when i was buying thousands of dollars worth of growing equipment and making no effort to find a new tenant for an apartment i had she starting inquiring as to why. so i told her i was growing high grade MJ. she wasn't happy at all until i showed her the difference in what i was getting a month in rent and the value of the pound a month i was growing. the dollar signs provailed and she learned to accept the fact.

peace, CG

16. SteelCity Smoker

SteelCity Smoker To Be Continued

It's like the military around here don't ask don't tell. My parents have known i smoke pot and maybe had some plants out in the woods when i was younger. They would never call the cops on me NEVER for anything. I could never imagine even having that thought in the back of my mind. I wish i could share my love with my fam but it's just not in the cards so good deal to those of you who can...Steelcity

17. Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski Ruminating

I was 16 or 17 when I told my parents I smoked. The cops brought me home drunk late afternoon on a school day and I spilled the beans. Told them (or maybe it was just my mom home then) that I'd been smoking since 7th grade etc... They didn't really appreciate the news.

:passsit: