Ballast's - Digital vs Magnetic

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by RecessionGrower, Oct 12, 2010.

1. So whats the difference?

Heat is really of no issue for me, as my ballasts are located outside of the grow area. The hum of the magnetic does not bother me at all either.

There cant be a electricity usage difference right?

In the market for another 1000w and a 400 or 600 watt. Probably go hydrofarm magnetic or nextgen for digital.

Just wondering if the $120 price difference is really worth it or not.

Thanks GK!

2. daytrypper

daytrypper A Fat Sticky Bud

I switched from mags to digital, in my opinion the digitals are worth the extra cash. Lower heat, lower electricity usage, and longer bulb life, along with a higher lumen output.

3. stickyicky24

stickyicky24 Cured Fat Sticky Bud

I think the biggest advantage is the options on them. My Nextgens run both HPS and MH, run any socket set, have a quick start light up, can start a hot bulb, can ignite it from 65' away, takes both 120 and 240, and run multiple wattages. Not to mention they're as small as a portable DVD player and come with a 5 year warranty.

4. Yeah, I think im just gonna go ahead and get a nextgen 1000w

5. mt.king

mt.king mud drags champion

have both

My power bill dropped the lights were noticeably brighter with my new Lumatek 240 -1,000 watters over the sun10 magnetic ballasts. An they run both MH and HPS

Same 5 year warranty 3 free 2prorated:thumbs-up:

6. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

both of my 1000,s are magnetic and my 600 is a digital. My mags hum away grow after grow.

I really like the 600 digi but it has a fan and I wonder how long this thing will run before it gives out.

cheers

Teamster6

7. stickyicky24

stickyicky24 Cured Fat Sticky Bud

Only thing that I was concerned with regarding my digitals. Two fans and I was concerned about them dying as well as dust getting inside. When I clean my cab I use one of those air cans and spray out the fans. On my 3rd grow with these Nextgens and haven't had so mush as a hiccup. And my local store says they will swap them out if anything goes wrong so I'm really not concerned. And if anyone tells you that they cause Eye bulbs to burn out faster.....they're lying.

8. blah blah boy

blah blah boy Harvested Fat Sticky Bud

Got next gen 600, love it :thumbs-up:

I have the 600 Xtreem also and it still hums away.

Can't wait to get the 2 1000 next gens for my new room.

Good luck. Go digital.