how much to water

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by sleuth119, Apr 16, 2006.

1. sleuth119

sleuth119 Germinated

i have no clue how much to water i got new sprouts but im wondering do i water till i see it come out to the drainage holes or what. need answers

2. slag

slag Germinated

how big is ur pot,under wat type of lights?

3. mbwiseguy

mbwiseguy Begun Flowering

i water my seedlings bottom up

just make sure it's wet, but not REAL wet around the roots. like barny said, it does depend on the pot size.

4. wawona

wawona The Trichome Connoisseur

"sprouts" don't require much water at all. How big are we talking her?

5. GMaNxD

GMaNxD California 215 Certified

i was wondering same, around here temps get like 90 is usual, how often would i need to water with such high temps? 3-4 days ? on small under 2 inch sprouts

6. Administrator

Administrator Administrator

Yup....too much water at an early stage can spell certain death to seedlings. It's called 'dampening off' and it's the #1 cause of death by newbies. A seedling is just developing it's roots and roots by nature 'seek' out water. If there's too much water...roots won't grow. Keep the soil moist, but not wet and let it dry out a bit before adding more water. Once the plant has a good root structure you'll be able to up the waterings a bit, but ALWAYS let that soil dry out before watering....it's the best thing you can do for those roots. :)

7. jdizzle1337

jdizzle1337 Developed Alternating Nodes

A good trick to learn is to pick up your pot when you know it is pretty dry. Then drench it until water comes out of the bottom. Pick it up and get a feel for the weight (water weighs alot), dont water again until the pot is starting to feel light again. If it is a seedling or a young plant, one drenching a week (even at 90F temps) is all it will need.

8. swamp cabbage

swamp cabbage New Sprout

Damn Good Info

well guy your question is answered 100%,,, the picking up the pot is what i do,,plus putting my finger in the soil to feel it,,,,but most of the time the tops dry,,, but the plants got plenty of water,, i notice this after picking it up and feeling the weight of the pot,,,i only stick my finger in it because the ladies like that ,and the plant is a bitch,,,hahahahah pick it up ,,, youll get the feel,, and once you do,, youll know immediatly if it needs water,,,and how much

9. GMaNxD

cool JD but my plants are straight in the ground not in pots.

any other technique? the soil around the area is moist and when i planted them i forgot water, then i came back 2-3 days later to plant another spot near there and i looked at em, about 5-6/10 were nice sprouted up and almost 2 inches already. i watered them then and planted a new spot and watered that one too.

i have more seeds germinating and ready to be planted this tues/wed or earlier.. should i re-water those sprouts when i go to make a new spot or just put a lil water only on the spot that im newly adding when i go back? that means they have had like 4-5 days without water, is this too little or too much? with 90F temps?

sorry not trying to jack thread bro lol just really need to know i dont wanna loose these, thats why im making so many grow sites so if i loose some i have backup.. if i dont, i have way more! :D

10. jdizzle1337

jdizzle1337 Developed Alternating Nodes

TOTALLY depends on humidity,light exposure,soil quality,if it rained or not, etc,etc,etc. Its very hard to help people with outside grows because the variables are basically infinite.

Basically if the ground is dry and it hasnt rained in a few days (and its not forcasted to rain for a few days) then it should be OK to water.

BTW you do know that you can grow in pots outside right? Its much easier, remember that for the future ;)

11. GMaNxD

lol yes of course i kno that:p

but im trying to keep it as unnoticable as possible.