Just sharing some local wildlife

Discussion in 'Smokers Lounge' started by ShadowWarrior, Dec 21, 2011.

1. ShadowWarrior

ShadowWarrior In The Spirit Realm

from my trail-camyoung black-bear, a coyote and some deer-

HUNT0336.jpg

HUNT0376.jpg

HUNT0400.jpg

HUNT0088.jpg

/monthly_2011_12/HUNT0336.jpg.b9a4b207aa26c6f6c6a77a20c3362fd8.jpg

/monthly_2011_12/HUNT0376.jpg.c50d8f0890ef77f8449c9c8a2dbfcfbb.jpg

/monthly_2011_12/HUNT0400.jpg.cd5bfcb1d77a553e9c65b410f1eb243a.jpg

/monthly_2011_12/HUNT0088.jpg.1206931cefc9331c78ea163537c9db8e.jpg

2. HeadCase

HeadCase Old Prick

Sweet Pictures -Bud

3. nippie

nippie preachin' and pimpin'

nice photos...thanks for sharing

pretty neat to have shit like that around you

4. ShadowWarrior

I like watching the bears, and their population in Florida is just building back up, but I'd rather not have them around my deer-hunting spot. Can you see how full her belly is?

Not just my corn/sweet feed she's eating I'm sure.

I don't share this info on the gun/huntying forums I haunt, but I'll post it here for anyone interested in baiting deer or bear.

I use a mix of yellow corn and sweet feed with vanilla instant pudding powder. I like to make sure the pudding mix gets carried in the wind so I sling it around. I'll cut up small pieces of apple and mix it in too and sometimes use fruity/sweet smelling 'extracts' for baking like raspberry or vanilla and sprinkle it around the feed site, but not directly in the food mix.

Currently I have a pretty wild mix that the bears will probably like more than the deer, but it was extra stuff around the house that I feel better giving to the wildlife than the landfill.

Scatter the food mix around. It's ok to get the pellets and kernals around bushes, in grasses etc so the animals are more inclined to practice their forraging habits and stick around longer looking for more.

Unfortunately, this site has only captured a pic of a single buck deer and only on the first few days I had it out, and are now deleted. Mostly, I keep getting the same old doe showing up eating everything. When these over-zealous rednecks clear the area, I'll remove her from the equation to make room for healthier deer that still are able to reproduce.

I'm sure she'll make some lovely steaks.

5. ShadowWarrior

also to give an idea of how small that bear is, I'm 6'2 and those palmetto bushes she's standing next to are about waist high to me.

HUNT0314.jpg

/monthly_2011_12/HUNT0314.jpg.d4ed024f2aea7f9d8462691367b154fa.jpg

6. buds4ever

buds4ever Lost in the woods

very cool! b4e..:redbong:

7. Bigbud214

Bigbud214 Ganja Guru Extreme

very cool ineed

8. TheCarpenter

TheCarpenter member

Cool pix SW, really like the ones of the bears. Trail cams are awesome, you never know what you're going to see. They recently legalized black bear hunting here in Oklahoma, but they only give out like 22 tags and it's archery only. I'm just not comfortable with the idea of hunting bears with only a bow. I'm in the process of building a new rifle for deer season next year, maybe I'll try your bait out.

-tC

9. Cannagirl

Cannagirl Preheat to 420

Baiting is so wimpy.

10. ShadowWarrior

Normally I agree, but I haven't got much time to go out stalking animals much anymore. And I don't do it for sport, I despise sport/trophy hunting. Besides, the rednecks around here who shoot everything that moves have got the animals far too spooked to do any real hunting. So to help put some meat on the table, I do this... which i don't particularly enjoy, but I'm broke as fuck and all the feed I've paid for to feed these animals is more than paid for with just one deer.

Enjoy the pictures, anyway. And for what it's worth to ya, these animals are much healthier because I feed them. Besides, the feed I give them is also lightly medicated to kill/prevent parasite infestations.. like ticks that carry lime-disease, fleas, and harmful bacteria. I'd think someone like you could appreciate that.

I know the deer do. This stuff has got to taste better than sour acorns.. loaded with mollasses, oats, corn, nuts, vanilla pudding mix etc.. yeah I'm sure if these animals could talk they'd tell ya to butt out if you don't like it. Or at least consider there may be more legit reasons behind animal baiting than just being a shitty hunter.

11. Cannagirl

Cannagirl Preheat to 420

You can justify it all you want, I will always think it's wimpy though. Just my opinion and you are always allowed yours. Public forums are nice like that :) If you are spending so much to bait though and it's worth more than a deer, why do it? And i'd say medicating wildlife is probably, in the long run, worse for the environment. We need things like disease and parasites to keep them in check, especially prey animals. Either way though, I still think it's better than factory farmed meat so kudos there (as long as there is a surplus that is). (please never kill the bear)

12. Lvstickybud

Lvstickybud Bongmaster

Proper hunting does weed out the sickly and allows a more healthy herd. Keeping the animals around your area with feed and medicine are a bonus as long as it's done year round or when there is no more food availible. Hunting to feed one's family is NEVER a bad thing. I too despise trophy hunting. I love shooting but I've never hunted since I don't know the proper ways of skinning, butchering, and curing and I believe that if I'm not going to eat it, I'm not going to kill it. Those pictures are great. Keep it up and continue to feed your family. :thumbs-up:

13. ShadowWarrior

re-read my post, please. the answer is there.

But to make it simple, 40$ worth of feed draws in about 300$ worth of meat if you go by in-store beef prices ~$3 per lb. Considering that venison is considered an exotic meat(but when properly prepared tastes like prime-cut beef), it's probably more like 400-500$ worth of meat. The average deer in Florida is about 100-150 lbs, and that's being generous, i think. Pretty small. So the harvesting of even a tiny deer easily makes up for the cost of the feeding.

And No, cannagirl, I'm not going to kill the bear, it's just a baby and they're protected int his state anyway.

But since disease and parasites are so neccesary, stop medicating yourself. We need diseases to keep the human population in check...

I dunno about you, but I don't like eating things that are full of diseases and parasites, anyway.

14. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

Cool pictures, I'm not getting into the whole ethics of baiting thing, but as for medications in the feed/bait, I have eaten plenty of wild game that was not fed any medications to remove or decrease parasites or disease, and I' fine. If the meat is stored and prepared properly then you shouldn't need to worry about parasites or bacteria.

15. ShadowWarrior

I know, it's just to promote a healthier herd. thanks for viewing.

16. LionLoves420

LionLoves420 Lazy Days In The Sun

I am kinda like you. We try to eradicate rabies in animals by giving our pets shots and killing any animal in the wild that has it. Same reason we give our pets flea and tick medication. I am not sure what the difference is. I know some will say deer aren't pets, but we try to protect them all the same as the dominant species, just like we do with all wild animals in america.

17. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Bear...blech! greasy. Nice pics:thumbs-up:

18. Cannagirl

Cannagirl Preheat to 420

I mis-read. I thought you said you spent more on feed, you said what you payed for the feed is paid for with just one deer. Thank you for not killing the bear. I realize no one animal is more important than another, I just honestly have a thing for black bears.

19. EvilSkuzzi

EvilSkuzzi Sweet Guy

That is class! Id go one further though.

"Here is a knife, go kill as many bears as you want." :rofl:

20. ShadowWarrior

well, ya know there's plenty of chubby black guys around here too....

:kidding:

they are cute tho aren't they? But I wouldn't try to snuggle with one