H20

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by RKinG, Jan 11, 2011.

1. RKinG

RKinG Full Flowering

Probably gonna get ripped for posting this question, but need some answers. I currently buy the gallon jugs of distilled water to feed the babies. This is starting to add up however. I am pretty certain I have hard water, am I okay just buying a brita filter or something like that to feed the ladies? Or do I have to stay with the distilled water? Thanks!

:passsit:

2. AlienBait

AlienBait Custom User Title

I don't use distilled water. I have one of those filters that attaches to the faucet. It uses carbon. Works fine for me.

3. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Too me. The PUR brand is what I use.

4. Bigbud214

Bigbud214 Ganja Guru Extreme

well RKing ive been doing the same thing as you seeing i hae no clue what the ppm and chlorine levels are in my tap... and yes at .83/gal it adds up... ive been contemplating my options and found an under the sink R/O filter and tank set up with a spout that mounts whre the spray nozzel goes... at ;least on my sink... and its about $200... im thinking in the long run the R/O system will pay for itself... but may still do the PUR thing

5. RKinG

RKinG Full Flowering

The only stupid questions are the ones not asked. LOL. Thanks guys, I am most definitley picking up a PUR filter then.

:thumbs-up: :thumbs-up: :thumbs-up: :thumbs-up: :thumbs-up: :thumbs-up: :thumbs-up: :thumbs-up: :thumbs-up: :thumbs-up: :thumbs-up: :thumbs-up: :thumbs-up: :thumbs-up: :thumbs-up:

6. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

Carbon filters, like PUR and Britta will remove some chlorine and heavy sediment, but not the dissolved solids/salts in your tap water.

Reverse Osmosis removes up to 99% of all dissolved solids in your water and is the preferable filtration method. An affordable Reverse Osmosis system for your home is the Stealth 100RO and 200RO which are capable of producing 100 and 200 gallon per day of reverse osmosis filtered water. The 100 can be purchased for $150 I just ordered one recently and it should be here today. Up until now I have been using 5 gal. buckets and filling them with R/O water from the Water Machines that sell reverse osmosis filtered drinking water. There is one not too far from me that sells it for $.15 per gallon so it's only $.75 to fill each bucket, well worth it since I know I have hard water. I would say to get a R/O system over the PUR or Britta. $150 bucks and you'll have clean drinking water and garden water forever.

7. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

8. Bigbud214

ras where did you find it can you post a link?

9. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

check again, I just did. lol. :roffl:

10. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

10 gal per day is not enough for me, even when I was just doing my home grow and not planning a commercial grow. I could easily use 20 gal in one day between my hempy plants and all my moms and bubble cloners etc, 10 gal. just wouldn't cut it for me.

11. Bigbud214

wow i never realized how much waste water a 5 stage R/O filter creates... just read a few reviews and saw an average of 6.5 gal of waste water for every 1 gal of clean water HOLY SHIT thats a lot od wasted water.... good thing i dont pay for water here if i install one of these... thats a staggering amount od waste water...

12. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

That's why you don't shower with it, it's just for you and your plants to drink. They do have more efficient models at a higher price.

13. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

I just got mine and it has a 3:1 waste water ratio with an optional 2:1 reducer that comes with it.

14. Dixie Hicky

Dixie Hicky Excommunicated

Got snow? Got rain?

Why are you paying for water? I have spring water. Full of minerals. The plants dont mind. Even city water, let it sit over night and the chlorine will dissipate. If you keep spending money on doo-dads and gizmos, you might as well just pay the 400/zip, man!

Dix

15. mt.king

mt.king mud drags champion

:thumbs-up:

That's a RO100 =100 gallon per day mine is the RO200 and I use the KDF 85 carbon filter because it also removes chloromine and the hard soluble iron and makes the RO membranes last longer. :thumbs-up:

16. Bigbud214

first off dix

the strains im growing are $500 a zip and more... water is a very important aspect of growing... the water here sucks ass and ever hear of acid rain??? its nasty here in these parts... so a small investmnt in quality water isnt a doo dad to me... i have not spent a lot of money on my grow room... i have nickel and dimed it for th most part... cheap pots, reused lumber, as many DIY aspects as possible, i spent money on soil, certain nutes, good genetics, and a descent HID light... my veg light was freebies from IKEA home made fixture... not to mention how much better the water is to drink for me and scotch... i guess i dont understand why it seems whenever i post about a product you seem to question my spending money??? no offense Dix but werent you spending crazy money on seed after seed after seed looking for a holy grail based on the recent cannbis cup winners??? all im trying to do is improve the things i can control and make those the best they can be... this has become my hobby so investing in good equipment can only serve to improve the quality of my crops... you have done the same thing when i asked if anyone knew what House & Garden roots excelerator was... i was just curious about the product i hadnt purchased it... its no different than when you inquired about bushmaster and gravity... you want to improve your knowledge and skills as a grower.... same here

17. RKinG

RKinG Full Flowering

this is the kinda shit when I thought "growing my weed is the way to go," I didn't anticipate until I'm halfway through my first grow. (they're coming along nicely by the way hehe). Money is on crunch time at the moment, so if I can get away with a PUR filter at the moment then that's gonna have to be the answer at the moment. Hopefully people are reading these threads before getting into this amazing endeavour. Thanks for all the info ladies and gents!

:thumbs-up: :not-worthy: :passsit::not-worthy: :thumbs-up:

18. Bigbud214

the way i see it Rking is any money spent improving the grow operation, within reason of course, it will be paidback ten maybe hundred fold down the road... i understand the budget being tight... my weekly spending money is spent on things for the grow... and im happy to do it... right now im buying distilled water maybe start with a PUR and work up to a R/O under sink we shall see...

19. RKinG

RKinG Full Flowering

Oh I feel ya brotha! Down the road for sure, but just staying a float at the moment.

20. krondikebar

krondikebar In A Cloud Of Kush Smoke

want to know what i do? Even if you don't, i am gonna say it anyway lol

I just use tap water. I am doing this on both of my current grows. I fill up my Rez with however much water i need 24 hours in advance of applying it.

I bought a $10 air pump at wal mart. I pop a couple airstones in my Rez and call it day. 24 hours later I am left with decent water.

This is my first grow NOT using RO water, So far, Not a single problem as a result. The only thing in tap water that scares me is chlorine since I make compost tea every other week and chlorine kills beneficial bacteria....